Jack Hargreaves

Keith M

Reaction score
Yes I loved watching him in his "Out of Town" series on TV.

Here he is talking about the Dace:
Dace

And the Roach
The Roach

Keith

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Yes I remember OoT very well as it often featured stretches of river from my part of the world - Hants, Wilts, Dorset.

He was also one of the original team in How along with a very youthful Fred Dineage.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A true allrounder if it swam he fished for it thought the seasons of the year. He also made a lot of his own tackle I remember him making a tackle trolley with large bike wheels to cope with ploughed fields. He also had a connection with Modern Arms tackle [ MARCO ] many of their rods were endorsed by him. He was a true countryman.

tikka

Reaction score
Before "Out of Town" he also did another series "Country Boy", where he use to take a young boy fishing, shooting & country crafts. If my memory serves me this was in the early 1960's.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jack was my all time hero, a true countryman and gentleman, better than the so called " country types" you find on TV these days!

Wilko

Reaction score
Before "Out of Town" he also did another series "Country Boy", where he use to take a young boy fishing, shooting & country crafts. If my memory serves me this was in the early 1960's.

Oh yeah, I remember watching a series of that where he taught the lad how to use a 12 bore shotgun, he hadn't shouldered it tightly enough and ending up nursing a battered shoulder! It must've been a re-run though as early '60s I was still in nappies.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Jack was my all time hero, a true countryman and gentleman, better than the so called " country types" you find on TV these days!

Or in the angling press.
One "country type" with a weekly column managed to sink a canoe whilst out on a guiding trip recently.
But don't worry. They all swam to safety.

slaphead

Reaction score
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD-oZrZLsCE

Takes me back to a time long gone.

He seems like a wonderful gentleman.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I liked him a lot and his Out of Town programme taught townies like me (even though my late father had been a country boy) a lot. Not all of it transferred well to suburban s'arth London, but we did have our own little chalk streams nearby like the Wandle and Hogsmill, with plenty of Thames Trout in them.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I remember dear old Jack very well.

A couple of years ago I managed to get some of his old programmes on DVD, and that reminds me that I must get tem out and re-run - timeless fishing entertainment.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I managed to get some of his old programmes on DVD, and that reminds me that I must get them out and re-run - timeless fishing entertainment.
I got them as well, fantastic programs from a slower world.

I thought that Country Boy came after Out of Town but my memory could be playing tricks.

Stu

xenon

Reaction score
I remember his TV shows when I was a kid. Re-watching them via youtube (such as this-

Fishing The Mayfly - YouTube

I think they more than stand up, in fact they don't seem to have dated at all.
Easily the most relaxed and natural presenter I can think of-a class act all round.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Yes a great old character and Out of Town was the best show on TV. And the only one with any fishing in it.
Mind you, Jack didn't always get it right. There was one show he did on skate fishing where he was so knackered from trying to pump up a fish that he decided to 'stop and have a rest' - probably because he was puffed out from smoking that pipe. Inevitably the fish escaped during the 'rest' but Jack was convinced it was still on and carried on broadcasting about the wonderful fight it was giving when all he was playing a couple of pounds of lead! :)