How can I loosen Fuji threaded reel fitting?

peterjg

Reaction score
My float rod has a Fuji nps18 threaded reel fitting. The reel fitting has a black plastic threaded collar which is tightened to fit the reel to the rod has become very difficult to turn.

I have washed the fitting/thread with water using an old toothbrush but it is still no better. I have also tried smearing a bit of plumbers silicon lubricant on the thread - still no good. I am reluctant to try an oil or grease in case I put the oil or grease onto my hands then then onto my bait. Should I very gently rub the outer edge of the plastic thread with a bit of fine wet and dry or will this ruin the thread? Any suggestions would much appreciated.

barbelboi

Reaction score
If you're worried about tainting your hands - WD40 is considered by some as a good bait additive................

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Get a woodworkers pencil and remove the graphite. Pound it to a powder and rub it into the fitting or you could mix it with some kind of vegetable oil and apply it that way graphite makes a great lubricator.

mick b

Reaction score
The question you should be asking is WHY ?

Ive built dozens of rods and never ever had a genuine Fuji reel seat alter in shape or size.
I would compare the reel seat with original models on the Hopkins and Hollaway website because yours could very well be a copy.

Cheapo rod manufacturers often use a paper type of collar/wrapping to hold the blank in the centre of the tube of the reel seat, if insufficient glue is used water can enter the tube and this can cause the paper to swell and expand a cheapo reel seat.

If yours is the gen. article try washing under the screw with hot soapy water from an old washing up bottle, you might have old bait or mud underneath ???
Hold the screw with a rubber glove on your hand and a peice of wet and dry sandpaper wrapped around the screw, do not use a pipe wrench whatever you do!!!

Whatever once you get it moving the crud will drop out and you can use any lubrication from the advice above, tho graphite is the best IMO, even if initially its a bit mucky.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I also have my doubts about this. The times I've had a Fuji reel seat go innappropriately tight on me is when there's been a foreign body in there or the guide lug has jumped its runner slightly.

mick b

Reaction score
If you have hands like a bunch of bananas and a grip like a mad Gorilla perhaps you are turning the screw collar a little tooooo hard :eek:mg:

Lighten up or use an AFTCO aluminium reel fitting instead of a Fuji, ........and don't try and shake hands with me!

My hobby before fishing was flower arranging ;)

peterjg

Reaction score
Dear All, many thanks for your replies and help - I'll have a go at the reel fitting this weekend and report back. Thanks again.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The question you should be asking is WHY ?

That's the first thing that sprang to my mind also. I'm no rod builder but i've never heard of a problem like that especially with fuji parts.

peterjg

Reaction score
This time I have thoroughly washed and cleaned the reel fitting and then dried it with the hair dryer. It must have been gunked-up with ground bait. Thanks again for your good suggestions.