Inspiration

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I think it would be safe to say that most if not all of us can trace back in the minds eye someone or maybe several individuals who helped shape the angler we are today. The obvious ones who spring to mind from different schools,- Ivan Marks, **** Walker, Arther Cove to name but a few. But are we forgetting the unsung local heroes who often took under their wing, the local lads and set them on the path to proper fishing-long before the likes of the above.

In my own case, it was an elderly angler by the name of Cross, old Tommy was a legend to the local lads- he was a roach expert, that prince of fishermen. And many were the tips and advice he showered on us the receptive tykes.

Ah yes, I remember it now, I had all but forgotten, that would have been a crime. How about you- don't you owe anyone the honour of recall?

CRITTER

Reaction score
my grandad as he got me into are sport when i was knee high to a grasshopper!

Ian heaps as i wanted to catch lots of fish just like him ....and i got to meet him when i spent a week on one of his fishing tutorial weeks money well spent,

jan porter as he is the trent master!

Rkid as he is the most annoying golden balled git i know when it comes to fishing

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
My Uncle Len took me fishing when I was a kid, he had faith in me and took time out from his own family to take me. He taught me that fishing should be fun.

Carpless

Reaction score
Haven't really got a mentor as such as the internet means you can teach yourself quite a lot, but my brother was the reason I started fishing and although he didn't continue to persue it, i did and am forever grateful. Maybe one day i'll take him fishing!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Have to be my Uncles. Mick, Ron and Tony all fine anglers of differing qualities but all superb examples to aspire to.

Mick, being the youngest, was the main one, predominently a match angler and still one of the best local river anglers.

Ron, more of a Salmon and Trout man but a very capable coarse angler.

Tony, more of an influence than I used to admit but a successful sea angler as well.

Other local luminaries also a great influence.. Eddie (Dob) Chislett gave me a split cane fly rod back in the late 60's which gave me the impetus to have a look at fly fishing.

I definately abused their collective goodwill for many years as I travelled to local and distant matches nearly always at their expense both monetary and time. Occassionally I got a result and pickedup a bit of pools money but it always went in my pocket. I probably owe a fortune. /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

I must say thank you to those that are still with us! /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Excuse the self indulgence but I tried to say some thank you's via the following articles:

The 60's

The 60's again

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It was my brother who took me fishing for the very first time, but he soon gave it up when he discovered girls.

From then on I was on my own so most of my inspiration came from the likes of Venables' books, and then Walker and the (old style) Angling Times. I was a member of the Kingfisher Guild, and then joined my local club where a certain Billy Knight took me under his wing on the club outings. I shall be eternally grateful to Billy who left this world many years ago.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

One of the first people to give me inspiration was an old boy who used to fish the Chesterfield canal near Shireoaks, a village on the outskirts of Worksop - Notts.His name has been lost in the mists of time, However I can still see him there, sitting on his old creaking seat basket, puffing his darktwist charged pipe and holding his ancient tonkin cane three piece rod and wooden starback reel.

Strangely enough I drove past the old canal yesterday, and how the memories came flooding back. I had to wait a few minutes at the level crossing in Shireoaks. Whilst I did I could almost see the procession of anglers from Sheffield getting off the train and heading in the direction of the canal as they did in the 50s, 60s and before.

But I digress, back to the old boy. He only ever started fishing in the afternoon, aftermost other anglers had packed up. He never fished matches because "He had all on competin' wi t'fish." He also viewed the anglers who came on the train from Sheffield with scorn."Bunch o' pimpers" he use to splutter. "Eighteen 'ook an single maggit, that's all thi knaw."

He used incredibly heavytackle for the time, 4 lb line with a size 10 Model Perfect hook tied direct. A porcupine quill fastened at the bottom end only and cocked with a few BB shot completed his rig. He fished well over depth with his float at half cock and his hook was baited with a big wadge of breadflake orthe tail end of a fat lobworm. He baited his swim with a few balls of mashed bread or some chopped up worms.

He fishedright in the edge, either on the opposite side or the nearsideof the canal, never in the middle. His catches became almost legendary. I once saw him tip back 8 roach, all of them over 1 1/2lb, and yes, maybe, there could have been a two amongst them. But the old boy didn't consider them worth weighing - they weren't big enough.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I was brought up by my Dad to think angling was an essential part of life, a pastime to be enjoyed along with the occasional competition which in his case was a works angling club. In later years when I came out of the RN I started to take it more seriously and eventually dropped into match fishing but never forgetting the pleasure side of it.

I learned what craft I had from watching and listening to other more experienced anglers and most of the listening took place in Austin Clisset's shop where a visit could last anything from half an hour to a couple of hours. The constant chat of how best to approach a particular type of venue or how to feed, how to present a bait and what type of float works best in given conditions all served to encourage me to learn and learn I did, until eventually I could hold my own in most matches I fished.

Having said all that I think you are your own best teacher, by trial and error, remembering what you did to win a section or match and constant practice and I think that applies to pleasure angling as well apart from the match fishing aspect, you learn more from actually fishing than you ever can from reading books.

C

Colin North, the one and only

My late ex brother in law Dennis Green. Despite the fact the he and my sister seperated years ago, we still kept in touch. He first took me fishing when I was about 9 or 10 years old. Sadly, he died from cancer about 18 months ago.

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
My first fishing trip was with my uncle Reg. Reg was a veteran of the 14th Army in Burma (the 'forgotten army') who spent some considerable time as a prisoner of the Japanese. I always later suspected he was still suffering, but he was a quiet, uncomplaining andunassuming man and fishing, no doubt, helped him remain focused. I will always remember that first trip and the man who took me.

Over the last three years I have managed to tutor my neighbour's son. He is now a competent angler about to join the army. The army have a very good squad at Inter Service level and also compete successfully at other levels.They also actively promote angling as part of their sporting programmes (as do all the Armed Forces). Perhaps one day the hours I spent re-tying tackle and fetching floats from treeswill pay off with an Inter Service Champion. It's rather comforting to know that this young man will likely remember me long after I am gone.

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
My Dad lit the fire in me by taking me fishing, often on the crossbar of his pushbike, to a variety of local pools & canals, the local Trent was too polluted to be worth fishing back in the 50,s.

When I started work I was indebted to Trev Gee, who introduced me to the joys of river fishing, for which I am forever indebted, and then persuaded me to join Alrewas Angling Club, which gave access to a wonderful bunch of fishermen. The Boden brothers, were unstinting in their help, with others too numerous to mention.

I was fortunate to fish a whole range of waters, from canals, pools Lakes to slow & fast rivers, and the diversity has always been the great joy in fishing for me, along with some of the best companions that anyone could ever wish to meet.

DZ

Reaction score
From 0-6 years absolutely no one. I just new I had to fishing but no one in the family knew how or where or cared. But I was blazing mad to go dangling. At 7 my far flung cousin Dom took me fly fishing for grayling on a freezing January day on the Kennet. We caught nothing and I got frost bite cos me wellies were too tight. Aaaah the flame was unqunchable.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
My dad showed me and my brother the ropes as it were and since those early years,i`ve pretty much learned every thing elsemyself,through reading,watching,asking,experimenting etc.....

I can`t remember the last time myself and dad went fishing together(probably a good few years ago!),so i think i owe him a trip out!!!

I alsoowe a great debt of thanks to yoggy who has shown kindness,generosity and friendship and who has given me the impetus to get up and try different things and have belief in myself....i have learnt a great deal from him.If you are ever attending a fish-in and he is there,come along and say hello....he`s a diamond geezer!!!

A big thanks should also go out to each and every one of you who have no qualms in helping out others on this site.Again your willingness to share info,friendship and generosity towards others is a credit to you all.

I almost forgot....one other thing that trev has alreadymentioned and it`s something that the great Ivan Marks impressed upon me at my clubs presentation night a few years ago....."fishing should also be fun".

Enjoy folks.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
My Brothers, No one else.

I was first taken to the local lake just a 5 min walk.

My eldest Brother Dane diedon a trip toAdams Mill back in 1968, the first time i fished there was a month before with my brothers.

My other Brother Melvyn took me under his wing, and took me just about everywhere with him, have some great memories, by the time i was 14 i was on my own fishing, my brother had a girlfriend so from then on it was down to me.

Never been able to sit down and read the books, found them to boring, would rather be out fishing.