Thermals

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
In winter I generally wear bib and braces, t shirt, sweat shirt and fleece plays wholly hat , this keeps me warm , but since I've started target shooting with an air rifle club such a set up would not allow me the freedom of movement needed for shooting

So now I'm looking for some decent thermal base layers, any suggestions

tozer

Reaction score
I've always bought mine from Matalan, (Pringles ones), to be honest I don't notice I am wearing them and they make a big difference.

nicepix

Reaction score
I've always bought mine from Matalan, (Pringles ones), to be honest I don't notice I am wearing them and they make a big difference.

I got mine from Matalans too. I've had them years and used them when kayaking and while working outside in extremes of temperature.

For air rifle target shooting in winter I'd recommend a set of these type of thermals under another loose fitting fleece top and lined trousers such as Regatta sell. Then I would put on a thicker fleece coat that can be taken off just before you are taking the stand to shoot. If it gets really cold, a fleece gilet is useful as it keeps the core warm but allows your arms to move without the restrictions that sleeves have.

As well as a hat think about covering your neck as this can lead to heat loss. A scarf or neck warmer is useful to bridge the gap between your hat and the top of your coat or fleece top.

Finally, a pair of light fleece gloves with the trigger finger tip cut off. Or if you are using a springer and need to load a pellet the finger and thumb cut off.

I used to sit out waiting for squirrels to raid the pheasant feeders at this time of year and I know how difficult it is to maintain accuracy when cold and stiff.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I got some in the local "Go Outdoors"... they were in the sking section, dead cheap and dead good too.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Im a great fan of the sundridge sleep suit.

They also do a quilt top shirt now.
Graham

black lab

Reaction score
Woolpower Merino - I've tried the rest and nothing else comes close

again, not cheap but what price are you prepared to pay to be warm on a cold river/lake bank?

but 'layering' is critical

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Done a bit of layering in my time, for winter home and the very worst of Far North and Far South away, but believe that, after seeing a video ad. several weeks ago, I would rather do a Captain Oates and die heroically of hypothermia in a blizzard than go "all American" at the thing.

Fly Fishing Layers for the Pacific Northwest - YouTube

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Paul,

Your George Mallory inspired Harris Tweed from a small tailors on Godalming High Street will be all you need. :)

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Trainspotter!

I still have a pullover bought for me not from that shop (which was still trading in the late 1960s) but from Gorringe's, the London department store that had a branch atop a hill just above Godalming. One of those "Army type" pullovers with wool so coarse that it will out-do any Brillo pad and skin any person wearing it alive. One of its now most unravelled, dark bottle-green sleeves has gone into a lot of salmon shrimp flies in the years since, as has a similar (green-brown mix), much nicer and softer, Mum-knitted, v-necked affair from when I was 10.

Good job that Mallory's woolly didn't fall into my hands.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I think he'd appreciated the survivalist's art of catching dinner using your Harris Tweed / gloves / rag knitted sweater / delete as appropriate....

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just bought another 3 Icebreaker Merino long sleeve zip tops, mainly for layering under my softshell (they are so good you only need one of these under a windproof top!) for my winter forays on the fells, but I will be also using them under my fishing gear. They are expensive but once you have wore Merino you will never opt for the cheaper stuff again!

robtherake

Reaction score
Not sure how relevant this is, but I have a one-piece thermal that came free with a shore angler's survival suit, made by Sundridge.

Must have had it for fifteen winters now, and it's still as warm as toast. It's been washed countless times and still looks and functions like new.

The only complaint I could posssibly level at it is that it's too bloody hot if there's any amount of walking to be done.

I once jumped halfway down the stairs wearing it, together with a black thermal balaclava. Landed right in front of the wife in ninja pose - she nearly shat herself! I was like the man from Milk Tray, only fatter :D

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used to wear polypropylene underwear made by Helly Hansen (you know, the stuff you see fell runners in, the ones with the white ''ladders'' down each arm!) but you have to wear this stuff with extreme caution! After about 3 hours of strenuous exercise wearing pollyprop, you smell like a skunks bumhole! :eek: With Merino you can go for days and it will still smell ''boxfresh'' also, Merino does not itch like normal wool and it as the best insulation for its weight than any other fibre, natural or manmade. Amazing stuff!

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Not sure how relevant this is, but I have a one-piece thermal that came free with a shore angler's survival suit, made by Sundridge.

Must have had it for fifteen winters now, and it's still as warm as toast. It's been washed countless times and still looks and functions like new.

The only complaint I could posssibly level at it is that it's too bloody hot if there's any amount of walking to be done.

I once jumped halfway down the stairs wearing it, together with a black thermal balaclava. Landed right in front of the wife in ninja pose - she nearly shat herself! I was like the man from Milk Tray, only fatter :D

Rob,

I think the idea is you PRESENT the Milk Tray, NOT eat them!!! :D