How did you get on then?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have taken this thread back from Binka, who did a fine job but has sadly left the building....
I fished at Bowsaw lake in Hants today. 12 of us fished and it was hard going. The sun was very bright accompanied by a chilly breeze.
Had 6lb:8oz for 6th overall. Some skimbobs, perch, a brown goldfish and a couple of clonking roach. All on double red maggot on the pole.
How did you get on?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Peter, what's happend to Binka ?

Last edited:

denzinho

Reaction score
I tried cheese paste for the first time. However it didn't work at all but the fish showed up in numbers as the light was dipping. I think i'll leave the paste in future and just take bread or worm in the week.

cg74

Reaction score
I went chub fishing for a couple hours either side of dusk, I caught 6 fish weighing between 5lb 2oz and 8lb 15oz.
All on bread flake fished over bread mash.

I used 6lb Ultima Power Plus mainline (proper line!), 6lb 12oz Preston Reflo Power hooklink and a size 10 Drennan Carbon Feeder hook.

Oh I nearly forgot; the bread mash was Nash Bakery's white bloomer loaf and Hovis medium white sliced on the hook.

C

chefster

I went chub fishing for a couple hours either side of dusk, I caught 6 fish weighing between 5lb 2oz and 8lb 15oz.

An 8lb 15 oz Chub,isnt that 7 oz off of the British record??

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Colin.
Those bream and carp can be a right nuisance.

Try hovis sliced white thick next time.

(Available for 89p at Morrisons)

I caught 3 chub yday best 2 at 5.7 and 5.15.

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
Colin.
Those bream and carp can be a right nuisance.

Try hovis sliced white thick next time.

(Available for 89p at Morrisons)

I caught 3 chub yday best 2 at 5.7 and 5.15.

Graham, too right the bream can/did prove to be a pain in the backside. The 5-02 fish was a chub, along with a 6-06 one for good measure but sadly the other four fish were snotties.:D

I'm going to try Nash's Cottage loaf, as it's quite doughy and is fairly yeasty smelling, I'll bear the thick sliced Hovis in mind though.

nicepix

Reaction score
Graham, too right the bream can/did prove to be a pain in the backside. The 5-02 fish was a chub, along with a 6-06 one for good measure but sadly the other four fish were snotties.:D

I'm going to try Nash's Cottage loaf, as it's quite doughy and is fairly yeasty smelling, I'll bear the thick sliced Hovis in mind though.

I'm surprised that you bother weighing the snotties Colin. If possible I try and unhook them in the water without netting them, let alone getting a weigh sling all slimed up. Horrible things.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I’m with you Clive, thankfully they are usually quite docile to unhook in the water – I still have nightmares of an accidental large snottie capture whilst tench fishing at Yateley pumphouse lake many years ago. Unfortunately you needed 6’ arms to reach the water, a hot day and after sloshing out the net many times I still had at least a 100 bluebottles on it for the rest of the session............
smiley-farts.gif

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I got out a bit earlier this afternoon,

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Snottie netting.

Yes my article for Month November (when it gets up)makes a point of non snottie netting!

But an 8lb bream is a good fish unless you are fishing the Thames or it's tributaries. Then its useful as a seat leveller on rough ground.

:eek:;):rolleyes::D (only sorta joking)

Nice netful and pics of chubs. Looks like they have been not feeding for a bit and were hungry as well.

That rod by the way is not an old fabulous Sundridge Proton is it Tigger?

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Snottie netting.

Yes my article for Month November (when it gets up)makes a point of non snottie netting!

But an 8lb bream is a good fish unless you are fishing the Thames or it's tributaries. Then its useful as a seat leveller on rough ground.

To be fair; an 8lb bream would feed a family of four (otters / EEs delete as necessary) for two meals so they have their uses.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice netful and pics of chubs. Looks like they have been not feeding for a bit and were hungry as well.

That rod by the way is not an old fabulous Sundridge Proton is it Tigger?

Some of them did look a bit on the slim side Graham, some of the others where fatties though. I suppose it's whoever finds the grub first gets fattest.

The rod is the original drennan im9 14ft float rod, a lovely rod for trotting.

neil1970

Reaction score
Not the best of days today:eek:mg:

We hit the lake at about 1ish, armed with maggots, worms, hemp & bread, after roach & perch.

The plan was to fish til about 5.30 with starlights on the floats.

I got my rod out of the bag to find the first joint smashed to bits.:eek:
Luckily the tackle shop is only a short drive so 40 minutes later I was set up and fishing.:)

Things just didn't seem to be going right, no bites, not a sign of a fish and half the time my bait was hanging from a tree, not in the water. I think I went through 6 hook lengths.

It started getting darker and I realised I had only had one starlight with me, so suggested to my mate that one of us could have a go at spinning. He was up for that.

We carried on for a bit, but things came to a premature end when he managed to snap the end of his rod off when pulling it down to sort out the spinner (god knows how:eek:mg:)

At least I've managed what seems to be a bit of an upgrade on my last rod (a daiwa sweepfire) with my new drennan red float rod (and tube to hold it in) :wh

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Tigger. Oh yes. see it now. I had the 13ft one. Doesn't hold a fixed spool reel so well.

Changed to the new IM9 3 piece classic. I think its just fabulous but maybe the reel handles on the older version better suited to a pin.

Graham

tozer

Reaction score
I love bream, they aren't that bad :eek:mg:

I dropped onto a small stream with 2 pints of grubs and a few lobs. I tried link ledgering double maggot and had a few small dace, cublets and roach to 4oz. Before I over complicated things ledgering lobs.
Changed the rig to albright knotted 4lb fluoro to 4lb braid a size 8 and freelined lob under bushes taking chub to 2lb.

I had a jack to a new SP on the cut, but I will be out next weekend.

cg74

Reaction score
I'm surprised that you bother weighing the snotties Colin. If possible I try and unhook them in the water without netting them, let alone getting a weigh sling all slimed up. Horrible things.

I guessed it's weight at 9lb 4oz to 9lb 8oz and wanted to see how accurate I was, seeing as it was in my net.

Ordinarily I also unhook them in water but where I was fishing necessitated netting, thankfully the latex coated net I have cleans off fairly well.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger. Oh yes. see it now. I had the 13ft one. Doesn't hold a fixed spool reel so well.

Changed to the new IM9 3 piece classic. I think its just fabulous but maybe the reel handles on the older version better suited to a pin.

Graham

To be honest Graham i've had no problem when using a fixed spool reel but i've only used small ones either 2500 stradics or 3000 stradics. I prefer the screw down seats also but I prefer the older rod blanks and guides. I have the 13ft model also and it's a really nice rod too.
One of my im8 specimen float rods didn't fit tight on the reel foot of some of my pins so I just wrapped a bit of plumbers tape (not sticky tape) round the spot where the reel attatches to the cork and it works a treat making even a thin foot fit nice and snug with no movement.