anyone been to coombe abbey

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Hi Guys has anyone been to Coombe Abbey near Coventry ? I understand there is a seperate car park for anglers and its a very very long walk to the lake. With that in mind, what kit would you take for a day session in the rain.

Reaction score
Hi Trev,

Hope you're well mate!!!

Are you breaming, zandering, piking or crucianing?

For a bream session carry a lot of bait on a barrow and head for the low-numbered (4-15) pegs past the dam.

Crucians and tench from the pegs by the car park to the bend.

Pike widespread.

Ask in Lane's for up to the minute info.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Hi ****ie Im well mate hope you are too. Thanks for that its a good start knowing im in the right sort of areas.

I hope to plunder the bream shoals if theres any left, and maybe have a spin or plug for the Zander.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Well Coombe is a bit of an eye opener isnt it .

Massive expanse of water, lots of areas that are out of bounds, only 100 carp in there (allegedly) Big shoals of big bream and absolutely loads and loads of natural food in it.

I was talking to a chap and his mate who have done 17 nights on thevenue and havent caught a carp yet. They even pre baited for three weeks prior to thestart of the season and then completed 9 consecutive nights with nothing to show.

I hooked a bream which was far too big for my normalnet and when Ibent down to pick up my carp net the hook pulled.

so the question is where do I go from here ?

Reaction score
It is a pretty daunting place isn't it?

There are good catches of bream to be had though Trev, the match record is over 140lb.

Try ringing Joe Taylor on 02476 453720. He is the Head Ranger and collates all the catch reports, so he will be able to point you to the current hot pegs. Invaluable info on such a vast venue.

As for the carp, I'd fish for bream and hope you run into one by accident. You could fish a second rod with beefed up tackle on the edge of your feeder zone, or set up a margin rod...

Good luck mate /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif, let me know how you get on.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Hi ****y

Ive been thinking of nothing else since I left there in the evening, I will give your man a ring and get some local info, I might even have to turn up at a few matches and see whats going on.

I prefer to fish for the carp by design but like you say I think it will be more by luck than my angling skill. I have decided to target the bream anyway but will have a second rod set up for Mr Carp.

I walked down the members only bit and ended up on the linley bank and it took me nearly 40 mins of walking with all my kit to eventually find the day ticket bank lol. Time spent in Recce is seldom wasted and I wish id gone on a recce beforehand lol.

Reaction score
It's definitely a travel light water isn't it, Trev? Keeps you fit though!!

Joe is a top guy, I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction, as I said before let me know how you fare mate.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Whole area sealed off at the moment, due toa plane crash yesterday. I work just a few hundred yards away. Its less than 2 miles from home, I sometimes cycle through the woods to get to work.

Terrible........sad news

here

here

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
I know Mark I drove there yesterday to have a good walk round and the road was sealed off from both ends

I know its sad news but its going to spawn all manner of jokes in the near future:

Such as What groundbait would you use at Coombe Abbey ? anything as long as its not two plane etc