Modifying Boilies

magicone

Reaction score
My one or two waters nearby do not allow boilies.

So would there be any problem do you think in modifying a boilie to represent a pellet. Using a bait such as Dynamite Baits White Chocolate & Coconut or any other flavoured.

thanks

sam vimes

Reaction score
Much is going to depend on the stance of whoever owns the fishing.
I know some that state no boilies yet no longer care if the are used. I've been places where they don't object provided they aren't loosefed. Others would chuck you off for anything remotely resembling a boilie, regardless of its shape.

Ultimately, a boilie cut down to look like a pellet is still a boilie.

richiekelly

Reaction score
A lot of companies now produce pastes that are made of the same ingredients as their boilies that could be worth a try or make your own paste using whatever ingredients you want but use eggs in the paste as it wont break down as quickly as paste made with water.

fishingjack

Reaction score
Why would they be banned?

I was not a fan of them but after a long time fishing I must say they are very handy/convenient (just carry a bag of them),they don't have to be messy like pastes, fish etc., you can be almost 100% sure that they are still on the hair if you haven't had a take (except where crayfish prowl) and large sizes can deter smaller species.

I don't like the way the skin seals everything in but then glugs and pastes can help and the hi-viz pop up is a nice option.

chav professor

Reaction score
Boillie bans are RIDICULOUS. As are nearly every conceived ban... Having said that, Skippy is right - Could it be a concern that the lake bed would have layer upon layer of festering bait (which apparently is a problem with luncheon meat). Sadly its easier to ban a method - I'd just have a one rule ban that just about covered it .

NO IDIOTS!

Seems to be a problem with used as a hook bait in this instance. But this does not sound like a long stay venue so many of the benefits of using boillies are lost anyway.

Paste would be very effective... as would bread, pellet and plenty of other super baits.... there you go, pellet with a paste wrap! sorted

symonh2000

Reaction score
Largely to avoid lakes ending up covered with piles of uneaten bait because of the vast quantities that get chucked in as feed.

One lake near me had a boilie ban, and they had problems with fish dying through lack of food.

Since they have allowed boilies they have had no more problems.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Largely to avoid lakes ending up covered with piles of uneaten bait because of the vast quantities that get chucked in as feed.

I've only rarely come across that being the given reason for banning boilies. Usually, boilie bans are found on club lakes and commercials where the concern stated is usually that they don't want the fish to become preoccupied with them to the exclusion of other baits. It's most likely to be a concern of matchmen and match style venues. Since the uptake of the hair rig by matchmen and the advent of mini-boilies from the match type tackle companies, such concerns seem to be diminishing. I've seen the uneaten baits theory often given as a reason for banning meat baits, Luncheon meat, catfood etc. Very occasionally, similar is cited for pellets, especially high oil (halibut/trout) types.

john step

Reaction score
I have made this suggestion before but it is worth repeating... Use flavoured paste in an "Enterprise bait cage" hair rigged. They are extremely good for bread flake as well. There is also the advantage that the bait inside is nibble proof from small fish. The paste etc in a cage has a high leak rate to attract fish.

fishingjack

Reaction score
It's a funny ban if you can then use the exact same paste that goes in the boilies, just not allowing it to have been boiled. :)

It would be great if venues just said use your common sense, no idiots etc. Unfortunately there do appear to be many idiots about.

I'd stick to sweetcorn or pieces of pepperami on the hair.

Good luck

magicone

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

There is another bait banned, Tiger nuts and Spam used as a hook bait only. Yet any form of paste can be used as its not mentioned on the 'does and don't' board entering the venues.

And yet all the times the owner, bailiffs and the EA have been around. Owner collecting fee's, Bailiff checking your tackle (especially ledger bottom/lead tackle attachments ensuring if you have a snap off. The fish is free of the lead not dragging it around endangering itself.) and EA checking various things apart from your license.

None have ever checked any bait being used, as all mine are kept covered to stop the Swans having a picnic and cannot be seen.

On my next visit I shall ask the question regarding boilies used only as a hook bait.

thanks again

black lab

Reaction score

you obviously know next to nothing about boilies?

they break down very quickly and provide nutrition to micro flora/fauna

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

Obviously not....but I've seen enough one trick idiots heaving boilies by the truckload into swims that are almost permanently occupied to think that it might be an issue. Not being a boilie user whether they are banned or not bothers me not one whit.

I'll be losing no sleep over it...or what you think either.

richiekelly

Reaction score

While some may break down I know of no boilie that breaks down very quickly unless it has been designed to do that and that means not using eggs in the mix.
Shelf life do not break down quickly they will if uneaten stay on the lake bed intact for as long as they would have lasted on the shelf, the preservatives in them such as potassium sorbate see to that.

I have seen on a lake in France while drifting across in a boat areas of the lake bed that were covered in uneaten shelf life baits, I do not agree with bait bans of any sort but sometimes restraint is needed by the angler using boilies, more and more bait does not equate to more fish in fact when a fish comes into my swim I want it/them to eat everything on offer which means offering small amounts.

laguna

Reaction score
A boilie ban can be justified if said fishery owner suspects poor nutritional quality is responsible for any ill effects on his fish, same is true for un/improperly prepared particles and nuts...

As for breakdown times; I would worry more about those excess nutrients that DO break down quickly that can lead to eutrophication and cyanobacteria blooms.

richiekelly

Reaction score
[B said:
laguna;1271046]A boilie ban can be justified if said fishery owner suspects poor nutritional quality is responsible for any ill effects on his fish,[/B] same is true for un/improperly prepared particles and nuts...

As for breakdown times; I would worry more about those excess nutrients that DO break down quickly that can lead to eutrophication and cyanobacteria blooms.

If that's the reason for a boilie ban surely the fishery owner if his/her fish are showing some sort of ill effects should be finding out for sure what is causing it not just guess its boilies and ban them, the type of fishery that imposes these bans are usually ones that are overstocked and that is where I would start looking first, although the OP said nothing about the fish being in ill. health.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I remember reading a feature article somewhere where the guy went scuba diving in a well used carp lake and there was a massive amount of uneaten, decomposing boilies in several well used swims. The problem is when idiots read about pre-baiting campaigns on these enormous under-fished waters with about 10 carp in them and then apply that to their local more intensively used fishery chucking in 5 kilos of boilies as if they were the only person fishing it. They are likely to have big pit reels too, even though the lake make be 1 acre in size.