Everything has changed including me!

lambert1

Reaction score
I have come back to fishing after a 28 year absence as my son showed an interest for a while! However, I have now started to show signs of serious obsession, albeit that I don't get to go as often as I would like. As a consequence I do spend a great deal of time reading the angling press and the internet and buying bits and bobs off ebay and probably have a few things I will never actually use! I am a little in awe of all the new techniques and baits but am seriously impressed with the overall improvement in the quality of the tackle now. For someone who started back in the sixties with a bamboo cane and a cotton reel, modern reels (even the basic one ball bearing ones) are a joy to use. I have to admit though that age has made me very clumsy and my varifocals are the bane of my fishing life! I usually end up taking the damn things off to do my knots! My captures this season have been modest and I have had my fair share of blanks, but I have loved every minute of it! I have probably missed a few bites watching Barn Owls and Kingfishers, but I took the advice of someone on here and invested in a baitrunner just in case! Anyway, I would like to thank all of those people who have contributed to the thread on Centre Pins as I found this really helpful and have asked for a Okuma Aventua from the wife for Xmas. It arrived yesterday and I was allowed a quick peek and have to say I am excited about using it. She says she has two kids! I appreciate the time that other members have taken to share their knowledge and advice and it will probably help me to stop buying so much tackle/bait on impulse and listen to those who have actually used the stuff!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Okuma Aventa, eh?

Good reel. Quality at a non-silly price. Something of a modern-day Speedia about it.

Approved by yours truly, Commander in Chief of The Centrepin Tendency.

We won't need to send Mike round to see you, other than for a convivial cup of Earl Grey.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

mick b

Reaction score
Welcome aboard.

The only thing that will stop you buying tackle will be if your broke!

I know, Ive never quite been so broke that I couldn't afford a 'might need that sometime' bit of tackle, now I have a room full :eek:mg:

lambert1

Reaction score
Thanks very much for your comments gentlemen. Thanks Paul for not mentioning the spelling mistake, giving the reel a bonus "u". To think I once studied proof reading! I will let you draw your own conclusions on that! The message I was getting from the forum with respect to centrepins was clearly that an Okuma, would be a good starting point. The Marco Cortesi appeals on price, but the warning on that little screw was enough to put me off!

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Welcome to FM, mate.

My local tack shop were doing 3 for 2 on Kamasan hooks a few weeks back and that had me, Dervish like, in a buying frenzy.

Strange, cos if it had been beans or Domestos or other non angling garbage, I wouldn't have cared a monkey's fig!! :)

All the best,

Phil.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have come back to fishing after a 28 year absence as my son showed an interest for a while! However, I have now started to show signs of serious obsession, albeit that I don't get to go as often as I would like. As a consequence I do spend a great deal of time reading the angling press and the internet and buying bits and bobs off ebay and probably have a few things I will never actually use! I am a little in awe of all the new techniques and baits but am seriously impressed with the overall improvement in the quality of the tackle now. For someone who started back in the sixties with a bamboo cane and a cotton reel, modern reels (even the basic one ball bearing ones) are a joy to use. I have to admit though that age has made me very clumsy and my varifocals are the bane of my fishing life! I usually end up taking the damn things off to do my knots! My captures this season have been modest and I have had my fair share of blanks, but I have loved every minute of it! I have probably missed a few bites watching Barn Owls and Kingfishers, but I took the advice of someone on here and invested in a baitrunner just in case! Anyway, I would like to thank all of those people who have contributed to the thread on Centre Pins as I found this really helpful and have asked for a Okuma Aventua from the wife for Xmas. It arrived yesterday and I was allowed a quick peek and have to say I am excited about using it. She says she has two kids! I appreciate the time that other members have taken to share their knowledge and advice and it will probably help me to stop buying so much tackle/bait on impulse and listen to those who have actually used the stuff!

Welcome to the forum mate and also back to fishing :)
You will not go far wrong with the Okuma mate, top reels for the money. I have the Raw and Sheffield and although the Sheffield is more traditional looking I love the ''sci-fi'' look of my Raw and actually get a lot of comments (I have had a few comments on here too, but the less said about that the better :D) about the reel and its ''funky'' looks...Its a good trotting reel too :)
I love your Comment about the missus having two kids, my other half still doesn't get it when I go all silly about a new item of tackle!

Anyway, enjoy the banter on here and good luck with the fishing ;)

Mark

badgeroo

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to fm.
I returned after 20+ years because of my son and I have become well and truly hooked again.:wh:wh