Best fishing line

Leslie Hall

Reaction score
With so many brands to choose from what, in your opinion, is the best line for beachcasting:

1. Main line

2. Shock Leader

3. Snoods

sumtime

Reaction score
I use........wait for it :rolleyes:............SENSOR! :eek:

For the shock leader it's Greased Weasel,
snoods? it's Amnesia. ;)

chav professor

Reaction score
1. Mainline

Ultima F1 in 18lb for rough ground, used to get the black stuff to distinguish it quickly.... its tough as old boots and when joined to the mainline with a bimini twist knot.... it rarely fails if the rest of your set up it sound (hooks, snoods, choice of weight etc).

Sufix Tritanium Surf for clean beaches in 15lb... Relatively cheap and casts like a dream! it comes in 1100m spools!

2. Shock leader

Used to use this stuff from Varivas https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Shockleader.html on the 100m spools. As Sumtime... greased weasel by Drennan is v.good - but I prefer bulk spools.

3. Snoods

Likewise Varivas 365 (https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Hook_Lengths_and_Trace_Line.html) is amazing for snood material - used to save loads of time in matches (and tying rigs).... if it kinked... simply pull it tight and rub on trousers and the line just straigtens out;)

Otherwise amnesia is a solid performer.

Like all things its an opinion based decision. I was influenced by Suffolk coast match anglers whom have developed ideas and tactics that suit our local area..... Good ideas/brands stick....

I like the bulk spools - keeps costs down... used to respool my reels every 2 or 3 matches/sessions

aebitim

Reaction score
Stren stamina or Ion power reflector, any old 65lb mono for shock leader, currently Ron Thompson with an allbright knot, snoods vary depending on ground. Not a huge fan of weasel for rough ground because putting enough shockleader on the reel to allow for shortening it when it abraids tends to cause tangles though its great for clean ground and distance.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
1. - Ultima Red Ice 18lb

2. - Greased Weasel 60lb

3. - Amnesia Clear 20lb

You forgot number 4 - rig body line. I like a high-vis Greased Weasel shock leader but I don't like using it for rig bodies so I would recommend Ultima or Sakuma Rig Body line in clear 60lb.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
1. - Ultima Red Ice 18lb

2. - Greased Weasel 60lb

3. - Amnesia Clear 20lb

You forgot number 4 - rig body line. I like a high-vis Greased Weasel shock leader but I don't like using it for rig bodies so I would recommend Ultima or Sakuma Rig Body line in clear 60lb.

As a non sea angler (dabbled but lapsed) - that sounds like the first three in a Greyhound race!! :)

ronroach

Reaction score
Main line: Suffix Tritanium 8.7kg (19lb)

Shock leader: Tapered Greased Weasel 50lb, tapers down to 15lb.

Snoods: Amnesia. 15-20lb not fussy.

Sometimes use Sakuma Nite Crystal for main line 18lb. Not expensive and never let me down. The line I buy is yellow which is handy in the dark as you can spot which direction it is approaching quickly. Tritanium is the best I've found for all round preformance though.

The tapered shock leaders mean you don't have a gurt big knot where it joins the mainline. Once tried it's hard to go back to 50lb joined directly to the main. I find them much smoother to cast.

Ron.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sakuma Nite Crystal is indeed good line. I have it on an Abu Hi-Speed Mag 6500 multiplier in 16lb for long-rod Continental style beachcasting. The dia of the 16lb is equivalent to normal 12lb line and the bright yellow is a great help fishing in daylight or in the dark.

sienna

Reaction score
Main line. Daiwa tournamet. Shockleader. Daiwa tapered leader or greased weasel. Hooklength. Amnesia