Is there any part of your fishing-

flightliner

Reaction score
Where you could be deemed as being found wanting?
I reckon it would be pole fishing with me, tried it and enjoy it but my main angling pursuits just seem to marginalise it to the point where i cant find time to improve on it, compared to a regular user I would be second rate I reckon.:doh:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pole fishing for myself as well. About five year ago I thought I would have a go at match fishing again. As a lot of it is pole work I bought a Milo box and everything that went with it three Shimano poles ect. In a word I found it to much like hard work I admire greatly the anglers that use this method of fishing the are like well oiled machines it amazes me to watch them in action. But it is not for me.:eek:mg:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Poles for me, too. In the mid 1980s I had a major British blank manufacturer and the largest tackle retailer in France urging me to set up a new division in my small but highly successful and well-thought-of rodmaking firm that would import and sell the European poles and pole-fishing sundries that were virtually unavailable here at the time. I went to France and met the marvellous man and his incredibly skilled Loire River and canal pole-fishers, I even dreamt up a name for the new branch of the business, Poles Apart, and put a small ad. in Coarse Fisherman magazine (in which I took monthly pages and half-pages) announcing that the new venture was imminent, then I thought to myself "Does this really get your piscatorial juices flowing, Paul ... do you really want to be flogging poles....".

"Nope" came the almost immediate answer. Wise move. Just not my scene.

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
I have never pole fished in my life, but do not see it as wanting as I have no desire to fish with a pole.

For me it would be the ability to consistently cast 120 yards on the rare occasions that it is needed. And perhaps fishing in heavy weed, simply having the confidence to relax and be sure that my presentation is OK.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Fluff chucking, sea fishing and various forms of predator angling. For one reason or another, though I've dabbled with each, I'm just not that interested.

Of the things I do engage in, pole fishing and stillwater feeder fishing are probably the weakest aspects. I'm reasonably proficient in either, I just don't do them enough, or don't enjoy them enough, to try to improve. The fact that I bust a pole section around a year ago and haven't got a spare or repair yet, probably tells its own story. I've done a lot of fishing in that year and simply not needed it. Perhaps when Christmas is out of the way.

Terry D

Reaction score
Getting out the door in the first place is my biggest problem, especially when the weather's not too good.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
It's strange what different people see as a 'problem', and I have many, but 'getting out of the door' has never been one of them! I have always loved that particular challenge - sort of, me against the elements - but that doesn't stop me questioning my sanity when stuck under an umbrella or suchlike and bites stopped coming hours before the rain started!

No, for me it's making the effort to go further afield, or going back to places of my childhood, to relive a moment, before it's too late I suppose..........................(that nostalgia thing creeping in again, damn it!)

Fishing skills? I do okay without being spectacular and that's fine!

Oh, one other; making the effort to change tact mid session, not laziness, just not thinking.....

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
After so many years I know feel competent in most aspects of fishing but deficient mainly in catching.

chav professor

Reaction score
You don't do so bad Rubio...... I like to improve on my trotting skills. Don't get much chance due to our river... but we've had some rain and I imagine the long rod and center pin may be out tomorrow.

rubio

Reaction score
You don't do so bad Rubio...... I like to improve on my trotting skills. Don't get much chance due to our river... but we've had some rain and I imagine the long rod and center pin may be out tomorrow.

Have a wander above hawks mill. Head for the trees on dark to avoid the otters. Lovely dace and roach hiding somewhere along there.

nicepix

Reaction score
Pole for me also. I have an eight metre one at the apartment in Cyprus for harbour mullet fishing amongst mooring lines and another shorter one out here for livebait gathering but that's it. Can't take to the method.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Feeding. Some days I get it right & others I get it horribly wrong. As I said on my LIF write up I tend to be over cautious on the feed and I think that's a legacy of many years fishing canals & rivers which you just dared not feed in any way other than very carefully.

I hardly ever use groundbait either,even on stillwaters. Same reason I guess. I consider myself a fairly competent angler but I think I spend too much time thinking where,how & with what at the expense of a feeding pattern/strategy. That sounds terribly pompous but I dont know how else to put it.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Amazed how many people list 'Poles'.......I thought every body had one (apart from me, that is!). How wrong can you be.................................

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Amazed how many people list 'Poles'.......I thought every body had one (apart from me, that is!). How wrong can you be.................................

Even I've got one :eek:.....but I've never had the slightest difficulty using it because I never have. I bought it to do a particular thing and I just haven't got round to it.

I know deep down I'm going to get in a right old 2 and 8 if and when it ever happens. Maybe that's why its still sat in the corner gathering dust. Fortunately it didn't cost a lot of money.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
S-kippy...perhaps you could fit a roller on the end for decorating..............

Regards 'feeding'..I'm not altogether sure that most of us don't get the feeding wrong much of the time. It's all very well saying, at the end of a session, after catching loads, that one got the feeding spot on, BUT at the start of that session wasn't it really just guess work as to how much you tossed in, and one just got lucky ?

Not to say some 'guess' better than others,nor that some skill/watercraft is involved, but EVERY time - I doubt it!!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Interesting is that Skippy. I would have thought that it would have been mentioned a little more than it has.

Me too. So far as I'm concerned with the exception of a few very specific waters/styles without question its my weakest area. I consider myself a pretty competent all rounder and I really ought to be a lot better than I am. I do OK....but not as well as I know I should. Biggest problem is that I just dont fish as much as I used to [especially rivers] and when I do its almost like starting all over again. I have to work really hard to remember what I'm trying to do & how to do it whereas when I was fishing a lot more I never had to think about what I was doing...I just knew.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Pole fishing is tricky and the only way to to crack it is to persist with it.
IMHO the positioning of your seatbox and roller(s) is the first thing to practice, get that wrong and it's an accident waiting to happen.

My personal bug'bear is distance waggler on flowing or towing water.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
S-kippy...perhaps you could fit a roller on the end for decorating..............

I have actually done that. OK it was only a nasty old Silstar glass thing but it was the only way I could reach the top of a very tall wall. Very much better as a roller extension than it ever was as a pole !

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:37 ----------

Regards 'feeding'..I'm not altogether sure that most of us don't get the feeding wrong much of the time. It's all very well saying, at the end of a session, after catching loads, that one got the feeding spot on, BUT at the start of that session wasn't it really just guess work as to how much you tossed in, and one just got lucky ?

Not to say some 'guess' better than others,nor that some skill/watercraft is involved, but EVERY time - I doubt it!!

True...I am a shocker for working out what I should have done while driving home. Sometimes it is so obvious you wonder why on earth you didn't see it at the time. Many times I've been so annoyed with myself that I've had to go back and do it properly.

It comes down to practice & knowing your waters I guess but I am naturally cautious when it comes to feeding. Or maybe I'm just too tight to take 6 pints with me every time I go out ! :D

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:43 ----------

My personal bug'bear is distance waggler on flowing or towing water.

Now that is not easy. Fortunately its not something I do very often nowadays...or indeed ever did.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Over the years I have had a good go at almost all forms of fishing but the one form I am really awful at is Predator fishing, mainly because it has never really spiked my interest.

In Norway it was relatively easy to use a lure or a wobbled dead bait and almost always catch. If the Pike wouldn't play then scale down and catch the Perch.
Simples.

Until that is when I returned to Britain and tried it here. Nothing, zilch, nada, ellers pa Norske ingen ting!