Ron Thompson fishing gear

symonh2000

Reaction score
I have a couple of Ron Thompson rods here, and was curious to know more about who makes them and where.

I can't seem to find a website or anything, although they seem to be for sale all over the place.

Does anyone have any more info on the company?

Many thanks. :cool:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Ron Thompson is a brand name of the Svendsen Sport group, along with Okuma, Pro-Logic, Scierra and others. Chances are, just like most things, the majority of their stuff is made in China.

Look out for the Ron Thompson Ontario centrepin. When unboxed, it has Scierra branding on the reel. It also happens to be from a company that is allied to Okuma. You can get them for fifty quid if you look hard enough. It felt pretty reasonable to this non-fervent centrepin user.;)

Reaction score
I used to drink with Ron in The Circus Tavern in Manchester some 25 years ago. He was a top bloke on the northern canal circuit at the time. I always new he would make a name for himself.

robtherake

Reaction score
I bought a Ron Thompson 6ft 5-15g Tyran rod from the same place (for the same price!)

First impressions are good. The action is crisp, but forgiving and it possesses a surprising amount of low-down poke for such a light rod - as tested on a couple of immovable snags.

Hopefully it won't suffer the same fate as shortpaul's Tyran, which reportedly
blew up spectacularly under very little pressure:eek:

Let me know how you get on with yours; I'm on the lookout for a cheap rod along similar lines.

symonh2000

Reaction score
I certainly will.

I should get to give it a run out over chrimbo if it arrives on time.

Not sure how long they will have them in stock for at that price though.

To be honest I really wanted a 10-40g model but that was £25 for some reason.

symonh2000

Reaction score
Well it arrived today which was very quick.

First impressions are good, the finish is excellent and it has a full carbon blank rather than Composite which you normally get at this price...

Feels nice and light with a slim profile and has a good action.

Might try it out at the weekend but that depends on the weather. :)