Petition worth signing

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What madness - killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

Signed.

The bad one

Reaction score
Total madness .... signed and plastered on my FB page. Do the same if you're on FB

lambert1

Reaction score
Ditto and the one that followed on Amazon. Caught the end of the Panorama programme on that. Positively ****ensian with modern technology. I will not use Amazon any more.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Who's votes are they after I wonder. The fishing in Scotland is but a shadow of what it was.

P

pointngo

Signed but can I ask a question...

I understand the accepted thinking is that salmon return to the same river, and indeed area, where they were born to spawn but is there any evidence that supports they might migrate to a different river for spawning?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Yes. This does happen. The odd fish does stray or get lost and this is how Nature populates new rivers and streams. The vast majority however return to the natal stream. Theory is now backed up by science, with DNA sampling confirming the above.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes. This does happen. The odd fish does stray or get lost and this is how Nature populates new rivers and streams. The vast majority however return to the natal stream. Theory is now backed up by science, with DNA sampling confirming the above.

Sure thing. And fish resulting from our own past stocking efforts. As a teenager through to my early twenties, then again in my thirties, I knew a man who had not only caught more British salmon than anybody, from the two Borders, from Scots and from Welsh rivers, by foul means and fair, rod, net, gaff, snare etc etc, but who also handled many many many tens of thousands of salmon as a "redchestered" (his boyhood Nith Country version of "registered") salmon dealer buying from anyone and sending them for sale to old Billingsgate, who could tell the provenance of a salmon at glance - "That's one of the old longer thinner fish from the Wye ... that's a Norwegian / Tweed / German fish put in by the old hatcheries ... that's original western Welsh ... whilst this nineteen-pounder of yours, Paul, is much shorter and deeper and probably in from the Solent, whilst this fourteen of mine is an Irish visitor....".

I am still inclined to believe him, though he has been gone since the 1980s (heart attack whilst pulling in a legal seine net in a Welsh estuary). Wish I had questioned him more, but as the bailiffs were always looking out for him on the rivers that we fished, it was best not to be seen talking with him for very long.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I am still inclined to believe him, though he has been gone since the 1980s (heart attack whilst pulling in a legal seine net in a Welsh estuary). Wish I had questioned him more, but as the bailiffs were always looking out for him on the rivers that we fished, it was best not to be seen talking with him for very long.

Great :) I'm beginning to meet a few of the old timer characters on the Wye. Some great stories and a true wealth of experience, it's silly not to tap it

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Great :) I'm beginning to meet a few of the old timer characters on the Wye. Some great stories and a true wealth of experience, it's silly not to tap it

What I have always done, wherever I have fished, Geoff - connected closely with the locals, tapped "it" but never ever abused their confidences and intelligence. We would have more still in-tact rivers, fisheries and fish species now if more scene "Anglers" over the past few decades had done so and not splashed it for personal profit and profile gain.

P.G. Wodehouse's 'The Code of the Woosters': "Never let a pal down".

But then people like, er, say, Aspinall went and got the Code all wrong and cynically defended the indefensible.

Value the locals always, never turn them over.

Last edited:
P

pointngo

thanks Geoff, I thought that would be the case.

With the national reduction in salmon numbers I'd have thought that this could be used as an argument against commercial netting in specific areas.