Hair Rigs

Chris Bettis

Reaction score
Can anyone advise me the best way to hair rig lobworms?

Barbed hooks are not allowed on the water I fish so using a hair rig seems to be the only option. I have tried a piece of artificial sweetcorn followed by the usual stop but they still manage to get off.

I am considering using a piece of said corn above and below the worm(s) and running the hair through them perhaps two or even three times and will try that next trip unless someone knows of a better solution.

Can any of you blokes suggest anything that might help please.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Put your worm ontook, and then put an 1/8in piece of flat rubber band on the hook down past the bottom of the bend ,thus pushing the worm up the shank, worms have a tendancy to come off most hooks anyway , because most hooks are microbarbed.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Chris I use worms hair rigged but I thread them onto a large Korda maggot clip thingy they cant wriggle off it.

Chris Bettis

Reaction score
Now that trev sounds like a very good idea and I shall certainly try that out. I t sounds just the thing i am looking for. Thanks.

Strides

Reaction score
I also use the as your above mentioned bit of elastic-band methodology, but the tackle shop near me sells packs of little hemispheres of clear silicon/rubber/somethingorother that work in exactly the same way, except the pack comes with a little applicator stick about 2 inches longto assist with getting thehemisphere on the point of the hook whilst the worm thrashes about on it -I guess it should make it slightly easier to avoid putting the hook thru your fingers... Anyway,I thought "that looks worth a try" so I bought a little pack for use at the weekend.

I'd love to tell you that it worked llike a charm, but it wasn't until some considerabletime after I'd arrived at the bank and tackled up my son, his mate, my son again (tree), his mate again (trod on float)and finally me, that I'd realised I'd left the b*&%$y lobs at home in the shed. /forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

The second time I swore that day was carting the kit back to the car when we were on our way home, when I chatted to one of the other chaps who'd been fishing just round the corner from uswho had been catching all day on lobs... /forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif Bugrit I tellsya... roll on next weekend.