Festive fishing?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Sunday is The Tring anglers Christmas match on the GUC, 9 to 1 o'clock then to the local pub for a nice dinner. With no commitments Christmas day, Son of Meldrew and me will be battling it out on the canal at Berko in the 3rd and final Crabtree match of the year. With one win apiece on this venue this is going to be our Wembley!
Friday I am at the Lizard on an open fur and feather. May struggle:rolleyes:

Anyone out next week?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Thought I might go for few hours on Sunday, but only if the weather stays dry. Don't mind the cold, but not cold and wet! The forecast looks reasonable though..........................Mmmm
Probably try for roach with the last of the mags/old casters otherwise it will be flake maybe on a nice light quiver...

I don't think I can go next week it case the door is locked when I get home!

I had thought about go to see Spurs, but I might start crying....

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Tomorrow I have to check and lift some mole traps and collect payment. Just by chance the location happens to be near to the lakes I fish so it would be rude not to stop off for a few hours. I think I'll try again for zander as the season closes soon and I am running out of time.

Then on Sunday or Monday, weather dependent I'll have an afternoon at a friend's lake situated closer to home. We went down there today to shift leaves off the weir grills and found an area where a stream comes in that looks promising. I'll have the place to myself as he's wintering in Spain until February.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Best of luck Simon, I'm now 'hibernating' until the New Year as I'm up to my neck in commitments and need a bit of a rest...........;)

Did some meadow yomping earlier in the week for a bit of enjoyable chub stream stalking and a session on a pit for roach which was interrupted by a mild winter crucian.

PS In response to another thread in respect of 'roving' I took a rod, bucket of bait/bits and a net.
f5_zps6bfa8481.jpg

lambert1

Reaction score
31st at the earliest for me unfortunately. Relatives don't go until the 30th and buggering off and leaving the wife with the relatives is not an option! Shame as I am itching to try the Okuma out.:mad:

B

binka

River piking tomorrow and have a nice little spot lined up for the day in some slack water whilst it's tramming through and then out on Monday for a roving chub session.

Christmas day will be dawn 'till dusk on the river and then back again Boxing Day with a mate, not decided on what for either day as it depends what the river does between now and then with the level.

Tight lines and all the best everyone, have a good one.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I dare say I'll be out at least once between now and Christmas day. As long as I have a single living relative, there's no way that I'll ever be out on Christmas day. Boxing day looks like being a day out with a mate at a not so local tackle emporium that's quite well known for its bank holiday sales. He'll be buying, I'll be window shopping unless I get a few tackle tokens for Christmas. I dare say that I won't be doing an overnighter on New Years Eve. Other than that, every day is a possibility depending on the weather and river levels.

xenon

Reaction score
the traditional roving session on the river Wreake will be taking place on Christmas eve. Only blanked once in over 16 years so this is usually a good day out for me.

john step

Reaction score
Yesterday(Fri) had my last day pass issued for Christmas! Went to a local club water with my usual frozen dead maggots and bread only to find the maggots were a bag of old wizzened manky pinkies that I had left frozen to add to groundbait at some later date. I gave them a try anyway and actually had bite after bite on them from the roach despite their state and the freezing wind. The bread also produced bites, so I had a good day. It does make me wonder though about whether the rigmaroll we sometimes go through to ensure fresh bait is always necessary. I just wonder what fish taste when they sift and stir up the muck on the lake bed. I bet that would taste as foul to us as it smells!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I dare say I'll be out at least once between now and Christmas day. As long as I have a single living relative, there's no way that I'll ever be out on Christmas day. Boxing day looks like being a day out with a mate at a not so local tackle emporium that's quite well known for its bank holiday sales. He'll be buying, I'll be window shopping unless I get a few tackle tokens for Christmas. I dare say that I won't be doing an overnighter on New Years Eve. Other than that, every day is a possibility depending on the weather and river levels.

You coming down to Derbyshire then Sam? ;)

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:44 ----------

I've been told to go out fishing next week (apart from xmas day and boxing day!) as she want me to start using some of that unused shiny tackle I own :wh:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Just thought you meant you were coming to climax?

Anyway, what's up with Derbyshire?

Merry Christmas Sam :)

No, Climax is a poor relation to Bobco when it comes to bank holibob sales.

Nowt wrong with Derbyshire, I just rarely have any need to do anything but pass through it. Even then, I've only passed through it once in the lasr year.
It's been nearly a year since I went further than ten miles or paid for a day ticket to fish. I may just do both tomorrow. There's every chance that the car will protest, I'll get a nosebleed and I'll get upset at having to pay!;):D

Merry Christmas to you too.

cg74

Reaction score
I've been told to go out fishing next week (apart from xmas day and boxing day!) as she want me to start using some of that unused shiny tackle I own :wh:

Mark, Mark, Mark..... You've really got to sort out your bait presentation, it's so cringingly poor. :eek:mg:

daji

Reaction score
As i'm expecting some new gear for Christmas it would be rude not to use it as soon as possible. ;) although having tested this theory with the wife and suggesting that Boxing day i would be fishing, immediately followed by having a few drinks with friends down the pub it would seem that the theory doesnt hold. :rolleyes:

Never fear though as Plan B is in the making. Stay at home, get embarrassingly drunk on Christmas day and be banished to the water the following day. might work :D

terry m

Reaction score
I will be definitely clocking up several sessions between now and return to work on 6th. Much piking but once the swollen rivers start to fine down then chub will be the target.

Seasons greetings to all on here.