help with microcat sonar

Russell atkins

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with some questions i have about my microcat graphic sonar.

I bought a second hand one last week, the boat is excellent but there are a few technical questions i have.

It says to use the handset charger to charge the sonar but to select 12v not 9v, well my charger hasn't got any selector on it, have i got the wrong charger?

The reason i'm asking this is that the sonar doesn't seem to be working, it goes from showing full charge to no charge and the depth is changing all the time from anywhere between 2ft to 10ft all the time.

When charging there is a red light on the charger, what does this mean? will it go green when charged? also is there any indication that the sonar is being charged?

I rang angling technics last week for some other information but they are closed on a saturday and i wanted to get these little problems sorted.

hope someone can help.

Many thanks

ron withey

Reaction score
All right mate have you tried sending a e mail to them i had a simular problem with another company and sent them e mail and got a reply so worth a try sorry i do not know the answers to your problem

dadondo

Reaction score
hi russell you need a recharger with variable voltage , speak to angling technics just incase there are any other problems. if you can`t buy one i think i have one spare and we can sort that out later ok cheers .

Russell atkins

Reaction score
Hi Thanks for that.

At the moment i'm getting some help from Fulcrum Designs. So i might get back to you on that.

Thanks for your time.

Richard Turner 3

Reaction score
hi m8 the red light on the charger is just a supply indicator it just stays on all the time its being used you do need as peter said a dual voltage charger ican understand why the person didnt sell it with the boat the reason your getting faulty readings is just simply down to battery strength mine does the same give it a good charge up and you will be sound mate had mine now for a couple of years and never had a problem but phone angling technics im sure they will help you out cheers

Russell atkins

Reaction score
Fulcrum Designs say's as long as the charger say's 12v it should be okay.

The boat is 13 months old and the charger is 12v with a red light showing when pluged in. Are you saying your charger has a switch for 9v and 12v ?

Richard Turner 3

Reaction score
yes mate thats right its just a slide switch it came with the boat but like i said iv had mine now a couple of years so things might have changed i think the best thing to do is wait until monday monday and speak direct to them im sure they will put you right iv always had great service from them

Russell atkins

Reaction score
Thank-you for all your help, going to charge it again and take it out for a spin tomorrow.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Will the boat charger not fit as it is 12v. If not maplins should have one that will do the job.

Alternatrivly contact cakey. He is a wizz with these things.

Russell atkins

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help

I rang A.T today and unfortunatly there is a fault with the sonar part in the boat.

Just sent it off to A.T at a cost of £30 for postage for both waysand around £30 to correct, so I've also decided to have it serviced while it's there. Altogether for postage, fixing and service they quoted around £140. which is a lot less than i was expecting.

oh and i have got the correct charger.

Many thanks to everyone again.