Thermal One-piece

naxian62

Reaction score
I know thermals have been discussed before, but.
When I lived and fished in Lancashire back in the '80's most of the winter anglers would be wearing a fantastic thermal one-piece under their waterproofs. If I remember rightly they were only Navy blue, never saw another colour, with elasticated wrists and ankles, no pockets and a zip of course. They were so damn good you wouldn't need to wear anything but your skiddies underneath, and maybe a t-shirt when the lakes were freezing up!
Anyway, can anyone on here suggest anything similar. I'm not keen on 2 piece suits as I believe the warmth your body creates stays trapped in a onesie.
Cheers all and..... stay warm.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One piece are great unless you get a call of nature. Then not only is it bloody cold but you had better make sure you pull the top half though your legs so that it is most definitely in front of you the reason is obvious. A two piece is not only safer but the top half of you stays warm.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It surprises me that no one has bought out a one piece designed like the coms as they were called what the old boys used to wear in years gone by with a flap in the back easy done with velcro instead of buttons.

keora

Reaction score
When I lived and fished in Lancashire back in the '80's most of the winter anglers would be wearing a fantastic thermal one-piece under their waterproofs. If I remember rightly they were only Navy blue, never saw another colour, with elasticated wrists and ankles, no pockets and a zip of course. They were so damn good you wouldn't need to wear anything but your skiddies underneath, and maybe a t-shirt when the lakes were freezing up!
Anyway, can anyone on here suggest anything similar. I'm not keen on 2 piece suits as I believe the warmth your body creates stays trapped in a onesie.

Yes I remember them well..... I had one which was a yucky shade of olive green. It was practical, it kept me warm, it certainly wasn't a fashion item. The problem was that with a one piece suit it's hard to get the garment to fit well.

I'm sure you can buy modern equivalents with a semi waterproof outer fabric. An alternative is to buy thermal underwear from Marks and Spencers - long johns plus a long sleeved vest which has a longer body length than normal so you don't get a cold gap around your waist.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I've used both and a two piece is far more versatile. Apart from calls of nature, if you have any distance to walk in a one piece you end up sweating like a blind lesbian walking past a wet fish stall.

At least with a two piece you can layer your clothing easier and remove the jacket or fleece if it warms up. I have found a good jacket and bib and brace the best combination for freshwater and beach fishing and a one piece better for boat fishing at sea where once you are on board you are relatively static.

robtherake

Reaction score
I've used both and a two piece is far more versatile. Apart from calls of nature, if you have any distance to walk in a one piece you end up sweating like a blind lesbian walking past a wet fish stall.

Ray, you bad man, you owe me a new keyboard; I've just sprayed my tea over the old one :D

Non-PC, but wickedly funny, nonetheless :thumbs:

sma

Reaction score
Try Fishing Republic, got a black one piece thermal suit last winter. Under their own Thesus brand. Think I paid about £40 for it.

Wilko

Reaction score
Do you mean the woolly bear under suit sold by polarbears.co.uk ?

The bad one

Reaction score

I still have one of these that's still in use and in good nick (British Made) and will be worn tomorrow on the river. :) I've tried the winter cloths lot over the last 10 or so years, but have gone back to the blue fleece suit this winter for the warmth it offers.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Try Fishing Republic, got a black one piece thermal suit last winter. Under their own Thesus brand. Think I paid about £40 for it.

Fishing Republic! how very dare you!
Don't let Billy Clarke hear you mention that name, or else! :eek:

One piece suits? for gods sake please dont mention those silly bloody onesies...I can just imagine the scene, but then again, no, I dont think I really want too! :eek:

Happy new year :)

Last edited:

naxian62

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys.
Had kinda given up on this thread when it became a debate about the pros and cons of a one-piece over a two-piece suit.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys.
Had kinda given up on this thread when it became a debate about the pros and cons of a one-piece over a two-piece suit.

Yeah, the one piece suit that baddy mentions are very good the pile fibre (or fleece if you want) is amazing at keeping you warm as it traps pockets of warm air against the skin, but it must be close fitting for it to work correctly. Pile fibre is what has made the Sheffield based outdoor clothing company, Buffalo, so popular for over 30 years, a simple idea that has seen many ''miracle'' fabrics come and go over the years and is still as popular today, especially with the forces, police and rescue services, why? Well, because it does what it says on the tin, Oh and it has probably saved a few lifes along the way. One more thing...

...Its to bloody warm to wear down the pub :)

Wilko

Reaction score
..........especially with the forces, police and rescue services, why? Well, because it does what it says on the tin, Oh and it has probably saved a few lifes along the way.

Hence why I mentioned (and recommend) the Woolly bear by polarbears.co.uk, as worn by London Fire Brigade water rescue personnel underneath the dry suits for cold water immersion ;)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hence why I mentioned (and recommend) the Woolly bear by polarbears.co.uk, as worn by London Fire Brigade water rescue personnel underneath the dry suits for cold water immersion ;)

Yes mate, thats what the wooly bear was designed for...Underneath Divers dry suits! Been going years, I remember them from my time as a member of BSAC. ;)