Canoe Access: Stating the Anglers’ Case

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Geoff on most larger rivers I don't think most anglers are bothered by the odd canoe, do they really do that much harm in the correct location and conditions ? I have read most arguments for and against and I am a member of a canoe forum, but i sense that a lot of encounters between angler and paddler are amicable, I am tired of the Trust's inciteful vitriol that is blatantly an effort to create a cause that not all anglers believe in.

Its a circular argument , I don't think the canoeists legal case holds up ( I have read many many threads on it ) but i think that morally it does.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I'm not sure where i sit on this debate.

So i have a question?

If canoeists were to pay for a canoe license, would it then be ok for them to use the rivers?

Or are we saying, that we don't want them using Rivers at all?

If there is a law passed to allow them full free access, does that not mean that perhaps we could also do the same as a right to fish for free. I always thought that the Rod license was a pathetic idea and one that Anglers should have stopped a long time ago.

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I would say that it depends on the river. A big wide river like the lower Thames can easily accommodate both canoes and anglers whereas small or narrow rivers like the Wey or Kennet can't possibly accomodate both. But even on the big rivers, when the canoe bods start playing their rolling over games etc they never seem to have any regard for anglers.
I think registering them with numbers so individuals can be identified is crucial.

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 21:50 ----------

If there is a law passed to allow them full free access, does that not mean that perhaps we could also do the same as a right to fish for free. I always thought that the Rod license was a pathetic idea and one that Anglers should have stopped a long time ago.
I couldn't possibly recommend that course of action. But I might join you :)

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Geoff on most larger rivers I don't think most anglers are bothered by the odd canoe, do they really do that much harm in the correct location and conditions ? I have read most arguments for and against and I am a member of a canoe forum, but i sense that a lot of encounters between angler and paddler are amicable, I am tired of the Trust's inciteful vitriol that is blatantly an effort to create a cause that not all anglers believe in.

Its a circular argument , I don't think the canoeists legal case holds up ( I have read many many threads on it ) but i think that morally it does.

I have, in my limited experience of river fishing, not encountered any hostility from canoeists but there appears to be a recurring theme from their web sites, "we go where we want, when we want" with little or no regard for those who either own the land or pay for the fishing rights. If you own Koi Carp in a pool in your garden, am I within my rights to fish for them because I hold a rod license?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I have, in my limited experience of river fishing, not encountered any hostility from canoeists but there appears to be a recurring theme from their web sites, "we go where we want, when we want" with little or no regard for those who either own the land or pay for the fishing rights. If you own Koi Carp in a pool in your garden, am I within my rights to fish for them because I hold a rod license?

Like you imply the militant few maybe ? They do tend to rub up the wrong way often.
They are convinced of Caffyn's research I'm not frankly, still at the least I think all nationally held water should be made available.

We will see what happens in Wales though.

nicepix

Reaction score
One of the biggest issues is privacy owed to people who have bought riverside properties on the basis of there being no legal right of navigation.

It is time the government came off the fence and made a law that clarified the offence of navigating on a waterway where there is no right of navigation. Until then the canoeists will continue to take the pee and use a university student's thesis as a right to go where they please.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Terrible and dangerously subversive things, university students. Often dauntingly intelligent, worryingly clear- and fair-minded and, in the case of the female ones, for me at least, in the distant past, sometimes fatally alluring. What chance have thick ugly ever-carping blokes got....?

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not all students are as bright as one might think, I worked for quite a few years in the electronics industry and have know quite a few brilliant graduates in their own field, some of them bordering on the savant, who have very little grasp on the world outside their own area of expertise and would fit very nicely into the autistic scale.

In contrast I know several talented business people and entrepreneurs with very little formal education but a superb grasp of how the world works and in particular how to get the best out of people, willingly and enthusiastically. They are the real movers and shakers in this world and usually end up employing the 'brilliant' graduates.

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
It is time the government came off the fence and made a law that clarified the offence of navigating on a waterway where there is no right of navigation. Until then the canoeists will continue to take the pee and use a university student's thesis as a right to go where they please.

It is already clear. What is missing is the will to police it.

mitch302012

Reaction score
The fact is simply that we are up against a determined lobby which is actively seeking to increase its share of leisure facilities in an already overcrowded country.
This is the reason why I urge all of you to send in your own submissions. Otherwise we will all find ourselves at the mercy of some local leisure/planning official with not a clue about fishing, or much else for that matter.

Making your individual voice heard is the best thing you can do for your fellow anglers, and in the long run for yourself for that matter.

My advice, if not clear from the piece above, would be to keep submissions clear, factual and unemotional, and let the facts speak for themselves.

Oh, and before I forget, a happy Christmas and New year to you all!

nicepix

Reaction score
It is already clear. What is missing is the will to police it.

I don't think it has been made clear. That is one of the problems. I have in the past suggested that any anglers who feel that they re 'harassed' by canoeists in the legal sense of the Protection From Harassment Act. Basically that means anyone who feels that the actions of someone else whether deliberate or not causes them alarm, distress or harassment. As long as one or more of those key words are used to describe your feelings the police have a duty to investigate.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
The fact is simply that we are up against a determined lobby which is actively seeking to increase its share of leisure facilities in an already overcrowded country.
This is the reason why I urge all of you to send in your own submissions. Otherwise we will all find ourselves at the mercy of some local leisure/planning official with not a clue about fishing, or much else for that matter.

Making your individual voice heard is the best thing you can do for your fellow anglers, and in the long run for yourself for that matter.

My advice, if not clear from the piece above, would be to keep submissions clear, factual and unemotional, and let the facts speak for themselves.

Oh, and before I forget, a happy Christmas and New year to you all!

Same to you Rod. Welcome aboard and thanks for all the articles

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
What the Welsh Assembly will be debating in January is far more than the right of canoeists to go about their business whenever and wherever they damn please.
Ever watched an angling programme where the well mannered host fished a stretch of river that you could only dream about.
Who owns a river?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
What the Welsh Assembly will be debating in January is far more than the right of canoeists to go about their business whenever and wherever they damn please.
Ever watched an angling programme where the well mannered host fished a stretch of river that you could only dream about.
Who owns a river?

Well, in the UK, the Queen owns all of them, same as she owns everything else. It's the monarch which allows people to use some of them - or parts of some of them - for navigation, same as she allows you to use most roads (the Kings Highway etc). Not all roads of course, because some are private. Same thing with rivers. Where the monarch allows navigation the permission is called a Public Right of Navigation. Where she does not, there is none.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
So glad the Queen allows me to cycle along her roads on the way to work every morning.
How generous.
Merry Christmas everyone.
XXX

steve1

Reaction score
I actually like to see student canoeists on a river, it can be a pain at times. But 90% of the time they make an effort to be considerate and I have quite often had a catch a short while after they've passed. I think it's a healthy pass time. As long as they abide by spawning ground rules we should work together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk