Barbel fishing world

robbush

Reaction score
Hi,is anybody on here a member of barbel fishing world,I sent money to join four weeks ago and haven't had an email back to be allowed on forum.i want to contact someone on there regarding something for sale,is it possible someone could help me contact the person,cheers,rob

mick b

Reaction score
Oh dear oh dear :eek:mg:

After all the posts on ABF and the elitism or otherwise of some 'groups' I hope someone comes to your aid quickly.

Best of luck my friend, hope they come back promptly.

robbush

Reaction score
Hi,tried that already, on the 27th November,explained the situation but not had a reply yet,I only want to buy a rod off someone which I was willing to pay a fiver to join because it was a rod I really wanted,the rod probably has gone now anyway,but hopefully someone can help,cheers,rob

BOF39

Reaction score
Why not do the obvious thing and ring them? The number is clearly displayed on the contact page, namely, 01249 783196. But I agree the rod is quite possibly long gone.

BOF ;)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Simple, ain't it, but we are in Fishing Forum Land.

I have a totally barking mad close relative, whom I haven't seen in at the very least past twenty-odd years, who, a few years ago, was routinely ringing and emailing various Angling websites, any on which I had appeared (BFW included), plus various antagonistic Angling B[l]og and Media Super Heroes, affecting concern for my mental health and asking after me in a generally soulful manner (heard this before somewhere...?).

As I said to Andy the owner of BFW back then (who had contacted me after the call) "It's not a puppet, Andy, it's the internut(ters).".

Take up a fishing rod, put aside your blunt little axes and get well away from your perceived grudges and your "It's the new poison pen letter" internet-connected keyboard.

Last edited:

robbush

Reaction score
Tried that,I just donated a fiver to charity via PayPal through the site,never mind

---------- Post added at 16:05 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

Simple, ain't it, but we are in Fishing Forum Land.

I have a totally barking mad close relative, whom I haven't seen in at the very least past twenty-odd years, who, a few years ago, was routinely ringing and emailing various Angling websites, any on which I had appeared (BFW included), plus various antagonistic Angling B[l]og and Media Super Heroes, affecting concern for my mental health and asking after me in a generally soulful manner (heard this before somewhere...?).

As I said to Andy the owner of BFW back then (who had contacted me after the call) "It's not a puppet, Andy, it's the internut(ters).".

Take up a fishing rod, put aside your blunt little axes and get well away from your perceived grudges and your "It's the new poison pen letter" internet-connected keyboard.

Hi mate,hadn't even thought of that side of things,I simply asked them to forward my email to the guy who has the rod for sale and let me know,a no ****** off would have been better than nothing at all

bigfish74

Reaction score
Mmmm bfw i was a member fkr quite a while then when they changed servers and wanted dosh to join i thought see ya later and its to secretive anyway

Andy

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't bother with it, It's a shadow of what it was a few years ago and consists mostly of the same dozen or so posters asking each other what landing net handle they should buy.
The most interesting thread on there lately was the one where I suggested it might be dying and that it was over moderated and over sanitised which, despite many of the old posters coming on to agree with me, and as if to deliberately make my point, got me banned after being a member for over ten years.
I have no hard feelings and appreciate that the owner can run his site as he feels fit but it does seem to be a bit of a shop window these days and relies on its historic archive (which is very good) but with very little new content being added.

Reaction score
Ok folks. Reason given and explained. Some comment in a reasoned manner; can I stress the line in Titus's last post "no hard feelings".

Hope it can all be left there please.

Merry Christmas and Happy Fish Filled Year to you all. Hope you all keep flood, storm free and safe this next week or so.

(Fish filled!!! I resorted to going to the local Morrisons to remind myself what a fish looks like.. No use....virtually all the fish looked older than the last minnow I caught!)

cg74

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't bother with it, It's a shadow of what it was a few years ago and consists mostly of the same dozen or so posters asking each other what landing net handle they should buy.
The most interesting thread on there lately was the one where I suggested it might be dying and that it was over moderated and over sanitised which, despite many of the old posters coming on to agree with me, and as if to deliberately make my point, got me banned after being a member for over ten years.
I have no hard feelings and appreciate that the owner can run his site as he feels fit but it does seem to be a bit of a shop window these days and relies on its historic archive (which is very good) but with very little new content being added.

I wholly agree, it has become an inane and insipid place, though that said on the whole it isn't elitist like was claimed on this site the other day.

sam vimes

Reaction score
BFW certainly isn't the bearpit it once was. By those standards it's positively tame. Compared to most fishing forums, it's pretty tame. That isn't necessarily an entirely bad thing. However, an awful lot of the posters that had something to say, whether I agreed with them or not, have been systematically removed.

Tameness is a problem for any forum that sticks fairly rigidly to its core topic and becomes overly well mannered and non-confrontational. Couple that with a perfectly understandable reticence of many to give too much away, you've got a fairly quiet fishing forum.

Right or wrong, forums tend to thrive on a bit of friction. (When I say thrive I mean hit rates, not necessarily mass participation) Fishing forums, without any friction, only thrive if there's masses of detailed, and regularly updated, information for people to harvest.

nicepix

Reaction score
One of the problems with a single species forum is that there is even less subject matter than a more inclusive angling forum and even those can be much like angling magazines in repeating the same stuff over and over again.

I asked to have my membership to BFW deleted after realising just how much stealth there was in promoting certain things and the removal of posts praising other products or not promoting the sponsor's products. I could have just left my membership open and not contributed as I had lost interest in the endless "What landing net posts" and the anglers asking basic questions one minute then the next minute talking like experienced pros. I suspect that many of their members equally dormant for the same reasons but yet they will be counted as active members for marketing purposes. Hence my asking to make one less.

As a matter of interest; Has Morespider's lost his scales by any chance? It's just that there is a guy on BFW who seems to have a very similar set :wh

miz

Reaction score
One of the problems with a single species forum is that there is even less subject matter than a more inclusive angling forum and even those can be much like angling magazines in repeating the same stuff over and over again.

I asked to have my membership to BFW deleted after realising just how much stealth there was in promoting certain things and the removal of posts praising other products or not promoting the sponsor's products. I could have just left my membership open and not contributed as I had lost interest in the endless "What landing net posts" and the anglers asking basic questions one minute then the next minute talking like experienced pros. I suspect that many of their members equally dormant for the same reasons but yet they will be counted as active members for marketing purposes. Hence my asking to make one less.

As a matter of interest; Has Morespider's lost his scales by any chance? It's just that there is a guy on BFW who seems to have a very similar set :wh

To be honest there are so many flawed opinions and so much bad advice bandied around on there its untrue ! As said above, lots of apparent experts with no filling under the pastry :rolleyes:

Mr Nicepix's Kelly cooking thread was a goodun though.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
To be honest there are so many flawed opinions and so much bad advice bandied around on there its untrue !

I wouldn't disagree, to a point. However, what I may deem to be bad advice may not be quite so bad in your view, and vice versa. Advice given with a certain venue, or type of venue, in mind might well be poor advice when transferred to a different venue. Considering the internet as a whole, I think that there's surprisingly little out and out terrible advice on fishing forums.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
To be honest there are so many flawed opinions and so much bad advice bandied around on there its untrue ! As said above, lots of apparent experts with no filling under the pastry :rolleyes:

Thank you :eek:

I'm still cookin' :D

cg74

Reaction score

That's your head on the block and leaves a good old 'Which' question.....

....guillotine or axe? :D