Which Spod Braid / Leader?

paulhereford

Reaction score
Good morning all.

Apologies if my request for information is a repeat but I would be grateful if you could help me please with regard to which braid I should use on a spod reel and which shockleader you would recommend. Also what length of leader should I use?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Paul Hereford

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Depends on distance required......................

Short to medium range I use my spod direct to whatever spare reel I have with me, either 15lbs mono or 30lbs braid.

For heavy duty or long range spodding I use a tough mono reel line 8lbs to 10lbs, with a shock leader of 30lbs amnesia. I'm certainly no expert, but it works for me.

F

Frothey

20lb powerpro to an Daiwa tapered sea leader. a lot of people use 60lb braid straight thru, but the leader is kinder to your fingers, and give a little bit of give as you hit the stop.

F

Frothey

dunno, 'cos i've never used it the other way /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
If you are fishing long range 120-150yardsthen 20lb Whiplash pro with a 45lb Korda Armor kord leader work very well. However if you are working at say 60-100 yards then 30lb whiplash pro with a 45lb Korda Armorkord leader is much easioer to use. The leader will help protect your fingers but a casting glove or finger stool is recommended. PS always make sure your clutch is doner up really tight, this will prevent clutch slip which will cause the line to cut your finger.

Here is a really good article on the subject

http://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID=6902512927726982727&blogName=Smart+Carping+Blog+-+Coaching+Online&publishMode=PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT&navbarType=SILVER&layoutType=LAYOUTS&homepageUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fsmartcarping.blogspot.com%2F&searchRoot=http%3A%2F%2Fsmartcarping.blogspot.com%2Fsearch

Tight Lines.

F

Frothey

whats the advantage of a thin, braid leader Ian, other than potentially a marginal increase in distance (better compression on the cast)?

plus, you'll only get3 leaders max for your £12.50 as opposed to 5 for £5.49 for the nylon ones...... and you dont need a finger stall with them (though i do use one).....

fwiw -each tapered leadersis almost the same length as the wholekorda spool!

B

Bully

Why use braid at all as a main line if you are using a shock leader?

I just use 8lb mono main line with a decent S/L............cant see the benefit of braid really?

F

Frothey

thinner and stronger bully, also lasts longer. find its also easier to reel in from distance as you dont have the elasticity in the line, so the spod bounces less - but mono will do fine so long as you are careful with it. isnt what the op asked though /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Frothey The thick nylon leaders are much cheaper but the leader braid knot is very big and can cause casting problems. The Korda Armour kord leader tends to b a flat braid and this goes a long way to protecting your fingers on the cast.

R

Roto Fryer

i use a few yards of 30lb mono through to 8lb mono. i do like a little stretch on my spod rod line.

F

Frothey

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ian Gemson wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Frothey The thick nylon leaders are much cheaper but the leader braid knot is very big and can cause casting problems </blockquote>
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Thats why they are tapered Ian - end is 15lb mono. If its good enough for the tournament guys......
</blockquote><blockquote class=quoteheader>
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ian Gemson wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>The Korda Armour kord leader tends to b a flat braid and this goes a long way to protecting your fingers on the cast.</blockquote></blockquote><blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote><blockquote class=quoteheader>But you're wearing a finger stall anyway?</blockquote><blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote>

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Frothey I would recommend a glove as some people can often forget some of the important points when casting !. If the tourney guys use Monoleader great then thats OK then. But a 15lb mono to 8lb mono knot is going to be far bigger than a braid to braid knot !.

Tight Lines mate

F

Frothey

but i'm using 20lb powerpro (about 8lb mono diameter) to 15lb mono at the end of the taper. using a braid leader wouldn't make any difference as 45lb braid is about the same diameter as 15lb mono! what knot are you recommending people use? as you know, the knot should be at the back of the spool anyway, so the line isnt going to catch on it and using 40/50 mm thru to 12mm rings, its hardly going to snag on the rings is it?

to be fair Ian, if we were talking about trying to put a lead 200yds plus, then knot diameter might come into it..... putting a 4oz spod 100yds isn't that difficult.

i agree on the glove/stall Ian - but that makes the line profile less important....

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Frithey the knot I would use would be a carrot knot or a double grinner.

I have tried several tapered leader and altough they perfom well trying to tie a knot with 45lb mono is far from easy and having a fully loade spod ( 6-7oz) flying off becuase the knot lets go is both costly and damgerous.

I also find the leader very wirey and can be prone to tangles if you are not in control of the line all the time. For beginners I would lead them towards a product or technique that is safe, simple and reliable.

That is the only reason I preffer braid leaders. Oh and casting a spod 200 yards that would be a good cast for sure LOL If only I could get a lead that far.

All I would add is as long you are safe and happy /confident with you set up well carry on and enjoy your angling. Tight Lines

F

Frothey

carrot knot? this one? (which is what i use..) http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/knot5.html

mono to spod....http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/knot3.html - never heard of that letting go

I also find the leader very wirey and can be prone to tangles if you are not in control of the line all the time. For beginners I would lead them towards a product or technique that is safe, simple and reliable.

i would've though using mono was less reliant on technique than braid..... at least that's what my teacher told me.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
I have got two sets of rods I use for beginners when we are spodding one a greys rod with a shimano 8000 GTX anda Chub rod with the same reel. the chub rod is set up with 12lb Daiwa sensor main line and a 20' lenght of 25lb Amnezia. The Greys is set up with 30lb whiplash pro and a braid leader. The mono line can give the clients all sorts of tangles as the leader is wirey and get tangled behind the spool. When using the Chub rod I never suffer from this as I excersise line mamagment without realising I am doing it. The Greys set up never suffer from this however is less forgiving if the customer over casts and really hits the line clip hard.

This isdue to the braid having no strecth unlike mono. Regarding technique it does not matter if you have mono or braid if you cant cast you cant cast its as simple as that. Spodding is about casting slightly over distance so the line when its clipped up stops the spod at the correct range and the spod hits the surface of the water with a splash rather than hitting the waterlie a missile.

FrotheyI am onlystating what I do and what works for meand the problems I have seem time and time again as people use a spod rod for the first time.

Frothey if you are coming to the Thotrpe Lea event i will bring all my Spodding rods even the long range ones and we can have a go with them all and see what you think, I tell you what I will even bring along some 45lb to 15lb tapered leaders and we can try them

PS if they tangle I promice I wont laugh to much LOL

Tight Lines mate