Reel help needed

Keith M

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a mid sized reel for Tenching and Chubbing taking main lines of between 4lb to 7lb; I quite like the 'Shimano Stradic' but I'm a bit put off by the over-deep spools, does anyone on here use the smallest of these reels (Shimano Stradic GTM 1500 RC) as this looks fine and at least takes more sensible line capacities.

Keith

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Thanks Me'Lord.:)

Why oh why; in this modern age; do most reel manufacturers still insist on selling mid sized reels which take 400 yards or more of 4lb line or need hundreds of metres of backing line ???

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
It may be they market the same reels in different countries for different uses?
Perhaps they are also used for spinning overseas with heavier/thicker lines judging by some video clips I have seen. Just a thought:confused:

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shimano Exage Front Drag reels are quality and you can always use a bit of backing or indulge in a bulk spool.

However Paul is right about Drennan. The 3000FD and 4000FD each have 3 different sized spools that take exactly 100yds of line of a given diameter. The 4000FD will probably be best for you given the breaking strains of line you stated.

I have the 3000FD for float fishing and I love the reel.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Keith, I use the 2500 stradic for tench fishing and it's spot on. For me there would be no hesitation as I would go and buy the stradic. Try Leigh tackle as they usually beat anyone on price. I would phone them and have a little haggle, they really are a good shop...

http://www.leightackle.co.uk/

By the way, I have nothing to do with the shop and haven't even been in there since the summer when I got some amazing prices on a rod and some reels. My m8 bought a stradic reel also and it was 25 notes cheaper than any on evilbay !

Last edited:

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
I've been using the even cheaper Drennan Series 7 feeder reel for 5 seasons now.
It's never let me down.
I admit to being a pretty average angler - and I don't haul out hundreds of pounds of carp week in and out.
But I'm happy with it.
It works.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been using the even cheaper Drennan Series 7 feeder reel for 5 seasons now.
It's never let me down.
I admit to being a pretty average angler - and I don't haul out hundreds of pounds of carp week in and out.
But I'm happy with it.
It works.

In my (and thousands of others) opinion, Drennan is a company that doesn't often miss the mark in innovation, design and quality. :thumbs:

Keith M

Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies.

I think I will have a closer look at the Stradics.

NB. I already have a Drennan FD 4000 reel which I have only used a dozen times and unfortunately (although I love Drennan tackle, especially their rods) I have started to have problems with the bail arm not always shutting properly after a cast.

Thanks for your help everyone.
Much obliged

Keith

Last edited:

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

NB. I already have a Drennan FD 4000 reel which I have only used a dozen times and unfortunately (although I love Drennan tackle, especially their rods) I have started to have problems with the bail arm not always shutting properly after a cast.

Much obliged

Keith

Drennan would sort that bail arm for you Keith, they have good customer service and aftercare. I like my Shimano Sahara GTE 3000, which I use for feeder fishing and (soon) lure fishing. However if I were going for a new Shimano it would be the Exage Front Drag. Stunning reels and cheaper than the Stradic.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Much obliged

Keith

Keith,
A guy on our street (work mate too) bought a Drennan and has had a problem with the bail spring, as I said the quality does not do justice to the Drennan name which is a shame!
If you think the Stradic is a little expensive, take a look at the Exage models, they are superb for the money! Harris Sportsmail do some cracking deals online :)

mick b

Reaction score
Daiwa Caldia.

Made by a proper fishing reel maker not a company that makes gears, primarily for bicycles!

Keith M

Reaction score
Keith,
A guy on our street (work mate too) bought a Drennan and has had a problem with the bail spring, as I said the quality does not do justice to the Drennan name which is a shame!
My Drennan FD 4000 May be a good reel but it could certainly benefit from a stronger bail arm spring, plus I have an aversion to the type of front drag reels which have a removable screw to remove when changing spools. If you drop this screw in the drink then the reel is useless; and I am famous for dropping screws LOL.

If you think the Stradic is a little expensive, take a look at the Exage models, they are superb for the money! Harris Sportsmail do some cracking deals online :)
I have the cash set aside for a Stradic but if I had been a little short I might have also considered looking at the Exage.

Thanks again for your help.

Keith (BoldBear)

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Daiwa Caldia.

Made by a proper fishing reel maker not a company that makes gears, primarily for bicycles!

I love my Daiwa reel mick, My TDRs are sublime!

A Caldia is on the cards, I keep looking at them but can I justify the purchase, especially when I allready own several Japanese Stradics....Oh yes! :) :eek:mg:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Talkin front drag reels has no one used the okuma VS ? They retail at about 200 notes over here if you can find one and are okumas top reel. I sent off for one from foreign climbs nearly 10yrs ago and it's a great reel and as good as any i've ever used. The reason I bought it from abroad was the price, I think I paid about 53 notes including post. It was that good my m8 asked me to get him a couple. I use mine for spinning/lure fishing but you could use it for what ever you wanted. They come in various sizes from 15 upwards, I got a 30 size which is small'sh.

New Okuma V-40a VSystem Series Aluminum Spinning Reel | eBay