Gone and lost my rod licence.

symonh2000

Reaction score
I have gone and done something really silly.

I have lost/missplaced my rod licence.

This is what I feared would happen, and I have been half expecting it to happen since they started issuing a pathetic small flexible card rather than a full paper licence.

I am meant to be going fishing tomorrrow, so what should I do? Just take some ID and explain the situation if I am asked?

I haven't ever been asked for my licence before in 25 years of fishing, but knowing my luck...

mick b

Reaction score
Oh dear what a silly billy you are :D

If you have proof of payment take that.
If you have the letter that comes with your licence take that.
Take your passport or driving licence as they are the only official IDs we have in this country (cant have proper ID cards can we, oh no, that would infringe on our civil liberties - as if they are not trampled upon enough already).

If you like a letter licence then next season dont unstick the flimsy card from the letter, must cart the whole lot around instead :confused:

Oh, and by the way, a replacement is twice the price of the original :eek:mg: so maybe best to stay at home until next season...........:eek:

:wh......only kidding.

Happy New Year.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I have lost my rod licence and need a replacement, what do I do now?
If you have lost your rod licence or it has been destroyed then you can get a replacement licence. To get a replacement you will need to call us on 03708 506 506. There is a £5 (£1 for juniors) charge for a replacement licence payable by debit/credit card, cheque or postal order.
Environment Agency - Rod Fishing Licence - Frequently Asked Questions

symonh2000

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. I am going to have another look around for it later, hopefully it will turn up at the bottom of one of my bags or something.

john step

Reaction score
Just to remind others of a tip I read on this forum a while ago...
When you get your licence, copy the licence number into the contacts list of your mobile phone. It is always the same number year on year. Although I can't remember being asked for my licence for donkeys years it's there because sods law says that the day I am asked I will have forgotten to to transfer it into whatever bag I have with me. I am led to believe that EA bailiffs can check electronically on the bank.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I really cannot see any half decent bailiff coming down on you providing you have proof of identity, but Jerry's replacement for a fiver is the way to go and you'll probably get a confirmation via an email as well...

Are you absolutely sure you didn't leave it in the grass after a romp with that women off the stage in Oxford.................??

ps I should think the chances of seeing a bailiff on the bank at this time of year must be pretty slim, but just watch someone tell me otherwise!!

Swift idea John Step!!..................now why didn't I think of that?

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
I lost mine several years ago and when I realised that there was a charge to re-issue I made the decision to leave it and hope for the best in the full knowledge that if push came to shove I would show as paid up on the central database, and with the likelihood of being checked next to nil.

I was not checked!!

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
For years now, the first thing I do when I receive my licence is to laminate it (after signing it) and cut it back to slightly over its original size, so it's sort of credit card sized.

Whilst laminating it, I also photocopy it both sides - just in case.

Then slip it into the wallet with all the usual cr3p - the CoOp loyalty card and stuff. Never lost one yet...

:)

tikka

Reaction score
For years now, the first thing I do when I receive my licence is to laminate it (after signing it) and cut it back to slightly over its original size, so it's sort of credit card sized.

Whilst laminating it, I also photocopy it both sides - just in case.

Then slip it into the wallet with all the usual cr3p - the CoOp loyalty card and stuff. Never lost one yet...

Same here:)

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Get a local body artist to tattoo a copy of it on your bum-cheek. That way, if an EA bailiff can be bothered to get off his ar$e and interrupt your fishing, you can show him yours! :D

Everyones a winner! :thumbs:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Or better still print your own - here's one for next season............;)

rod15_zps7f527aa3.jpg

goonch

Reaction score
I would have thought that it would be no problem whatsoever if you have lost your licence. A couple of years ago I turned up at the river and there were two bailiffs in the car park. They asked to see my licence which I had left at home. After confirming my name and address one of them made a quick phone call. Less than a minute later they had confirmed that I had a licence and let me get on my way, even gave me a few tips on what had been coming out in the last few days.

Nice chaps.

B

binka

I would have thought that it would be no problem whatsoever if you have lost your licence. A couple of years ago I turned up at the river and there were two bailiffs in the car park. They asked to see my licence which I had left at home. After confirming my name and address one of them made a quick phone call. Less than a minute later they had confirmed that I had a licence and let me get on my way, even gave me a few tips on what had been coming out in the last few days.

Nice chaps.

Yes the EA guys in this area at least are no mugs and have the communications and resources to hand to verify or dismiss any dodgy story... I've seen it myself when a patrol asked a nearby pair of anglers for their licences and when they smelt a rat one of them discreetly slipped away and moved their vehicle to block the movement of the suspects car whilst they verified the details on the radio/phone or whatever he was on in the vehicle.

A well rehearsed and effective manoeuvre which resulted in the "illegal" anglers giving their true details in order to receive further instructions at a later date as to their fate.

I've gone for years without being checked but of late have been checked repeatedly on certain stretches of river and once within the last few months on a very remote, hard trecked location by an EA bailiff who was very canny in trying to look like a casual observer on his way up to me.

And despite their sometimes seemingly aggressive approach, when everything checks out they are the perfect gentleman.

Perfect!

Well done the EA on this :thumbs:

Last edited: