lake windermere

Ben Jones

Reaction score
Hi guys (and girls)

Well next week my family and i will be trekking from warwickshire to cumbria and staying at lake windermere. After a bit of moaning i am allowed to take my tackle (yay!). After a bit of research it sounds like the place for pike however im not a pike angler, and i dont really think that windermere is the place to learn /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif. so really i was wondering, if im many fishing from the east side (i may be able to get a boat but to be honest i think its going to be shore fishing) using float or ledgering what can i expect? i mean because ive just started up my gears relatively light but its fine for bream etc. But really thats my question, does anyone know if there is anything in there?

thanks

ben

Morespiders

Reaction score
I believe its full of roach and perch to Ben, perhaps somebody else could confirm.

There's some really good pike in there as well , but if your not experienced I shouldn't bother mate, be very hard anyway if your not that clued up on piking.

Try fishing the feeder, I should imagine on there 5 yds out it can be 30-40 ft deep depending on where your fishing , them spots will be barren this time of year, try to find some shallower places, cant help you there.

Just chuck in somewhere nice and enjoy the scenery.

Try the west bank, im sure i read somewhere thats fished a lot

Ben Jones

Reaction score
thanks

yeah well il probably do that then try and find some shallows and go for the silvers. However does anyone know if there are any bream in there? Also to be honest i dont think i will be able to get over to the west bank because we are staying on the east side and being 14 i dont really have that freedom/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

anyway thanks spiders

Morespiders

Reaction score
Ok Ben, Im 100% sure theres no bream. take quite a few feeders, its quite snag ridden, maggots, worms should see you through.

Good luck Ben/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

Ben Jones

Reaction score
cheers stuart. I will probably use the feeders, but does anyone reckon if the float will work for the roach?

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Ben I was working and stayed thereovernight 4 years ago and forwhat its worth I snatched a 4 hour stint before it went dark. I was close to the promenade and landing stage.

I found it shallow close in, very rocky and snaggy and overflowing with tiddler sized suicidal perch. I didnt see a roach. I only had a couple of pints of maggot with me and half a pint of stale caster so I didnt give it the best attempt. I finished up with around a hundred or so tiny perch. Dont forget your disgorger.

Simon Ashton

Reaction score
there is bream in there 4sure as i saw a large shole of them rolling 20 yards from my boat about a month ago.there are some cracking eels in there too so some big lobbys will work well.

to be honest mate i dont think many people have really gave the place a good seeing to ive not once seen a propper angler on the banks fishing for anything other than pike.if it were me i'd go shit or bust and ball in one afternoon , go for your tea then return and start fishing a few hours later.if nothing happened i'd ball in again then return the next mornong nice and early and start fishing.im sure it would work mate. after all the big pike in it dont grow massive on just trout and charr. if your on the water early enough you see thousands of roach topping next to the marina in bowness.

good luck pal and let me know how you got on. i might be up there myself it the rain stops!

Ben Jones

Reaction score
thanks for all the infomation guys.

it sounds like a right old dodgy place /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

i think il just see what happens, try the feeder and hope for the best.

thanks, if anyone else has got any more advice i would appreciate it grately!

by the way i love "suicidal" perch i know the exact ones you mean and its a perfect name /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif i cant believe them, trying to take these double maggots, i mean thats like trying to cram down two steaks at once!

once again thank you

Skoda

Reaction score
Ben

I've just spent the week on holiday on the bank of L.Windermere. Like you I battled to take my gear but to be honestfrom what I sawthe lake itself looks very hard work. However, check out the website that Stuart recommended. There are some decent looking semi -commercial waters(http://www.lakedistrictfishing.net).

Have a good time;enjoy thewhite nuckle ride that is driving in the Lake District!

Oh! And it might rain a bit!

Andy

Ben Jones

Reaction score
if im perfectly honest andy i am thinking the same as you. From what i am hearing it sounds a tough lake to fish. If i lived there i would definately put the time and effort in to learn the lake but hey im on holiday! cant be spending my whole time on the lake! i probably will just lob a feeder in when i get a little bored and hope for the best /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

thanks guys.