grayling

sam vimes

Reaction score
It might depend on the river you are fishing. On my local, I'd generally stick to maggot and just change colours until I found one that worked better than the rest. I generally take white/bronze and a smattering of reds. Small worms, brandlings if I can get them, as a change bait, but they generally haven't been very successful recently. I don't have any faith in sweetcorn on my local. However, I would definitely give it a go on other grayling rivers.

mick b

Reaction score
I tried and failed miserably :eek:mg:

Chub, Dace and Trout obliged but the Ladies refused to come out and play.

Everything I caught was hard the bottom and took some finding but played along once they tasted my bread.

Even after all these years I still find Dace hard to hook :confused:

nicepix

Reaction score
I've done OK with sweetcorn especially in autumn. Small red worms are also worth a try.

Grayling often respond to a bait that is lifting off the bottom so it is worth holding the float back every now and then.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mick, skippy,

You will have to come and fish the best Grayling rivers in England, The Derbyshire Derwent and the Derbyshire Wye! There are so many fish in those two rivers that it would be very hard not to catch :)

I have had plenty of Trout too but that was by a different method which I can't mention on a public forum as the local Constabulary might be looking in! ;)

Happy new year guys :)

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the few waters in the country where you may get a 3lb grayling is the Welsh Dee upstream from Llangollen. There is a maggot ban on the Dee above the Horseshoe Falls but a lot of locals trot sweetcorn for the grayling. Cheap, easy to get, simple to loose-feed, has a scent and is highly visible.

My PB from the Dee, near Corwen, is 2lb 2oz but that was flyfishing a weighted nymph/bug pattern and was around 20 yrs ago.

mick b

Reaction score
Mark, one day Im going to go on a Grayling Safari, and your patch is high on my visiting list.
Will I need my passport?

The 'drains' also sound interesting, care to elaborate on potential without giving away locations ?
If not I understand.

nicepix

Reaction score
One of the few waters in the country where you may get a 3lb grayling is the Welsh Dee upstream from Llangollen. There is a maggot ban on the Dee above the Horseshoe Falls but a lot of locals trot sweetcorn for the grayling. Cheap, easy to get, simple to loose-feed, has a scent and is highly visible.

My PB from the Dee, near Corwen, is 2lb 2oz but that was flyfishing a weighted nymph/bug pattern and was around 20 yrs ago.

The Tweed is also a producer of 3lb grayling. Some of the North Yorkshire rivers are at least equal to if not better than the Derbyshire Derwent and Wye but sadly none of these match some of the more southern rivers.

South Yorkshire is good for free grayling stretches. The Don and Dearne both hold good stocks. A mate of mine had over thirty from the upper Don last week, most of them needed a net.

mick b

Reaction score
The Tweed is also a producer of 3lb grayling. Some of the North Yorkshire rivers are at least equal to if not better than the Derbyshire Derwent and Wye but sadly none of these match some of the more southern rivers. .

Don't get carried away.
Not many 'Southern Rivers' produce big (+3lb) Graying very often.
Genuine (weighed) Grayling 3s are almost as rare as +3 Roach.

nicepix

Reaction score
Don't get carried away.
Not many 'Southern Rivers' produce big (+3lb) Graying very often.
Genuine (weighed) Grayling 3s are almost as rare as +3 Roach.

I didn't mean it in that way. 3lb graying are as rare as hen's teeth, but if I was setting my sights on an English 2lb lady I would be looking for a river well south of the Trent.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I didn't mean it in that way. 3lb graying are as rare as hen's teeth, but if I was setting my sights on an English 2lb lady I would be looking for a river well south of the Trent.

I've got my eyes firmly set on a river one dale north of my usual. Pretty good chance of a 2lb grayling from what I've read and been told. I'm struggling to break 1lb 8oz on my usual river, though I've little doubt that there are bigger to be had.

George387

Reaction score
I've got my eyes firmly set on a river one dale north of my usual. Pretty good chance of a 2lb grayling from what I've read and been told. I'm struggling to break 1lb 8oz on my usual river, though I've little doubt that there are bigger to be had.

Plenty of 2lbs + where your thinking of, As soon as the river is sorted you will see 1st hand :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Plenty of 2lbs + where your thinking of, As soon as the river is sorted you will see 1st hand :)

Looking forward to it, George. I've even got some waders for the job so I don't have to bypass any potentially good swims that I'd not manage to fish without them. Getting withdrawal symptoms with the usual being well up then only partially down for so long. You were bob on with your prediction on that score. I've had to resort to winter carping.;):D When it's lashing it down and blowing a hoolie tomorrow, have a good chuckle as I waste my time!:D

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Then there are the Yorkshire chalkstreams. Beg, borrow, steal, guest your way onto one of these - FishPal - England - Chalkstreams - Yorkshire

After giving a talk to the local branch of the S&T Assoc. at Follyfoot (near Harrogate) a hundred years ago, a member came up to me after I had survived and not been staked / disembowelled on the Moor "Slaughtered Lamb"-style, went "Well d-u-u-n, lad. Try and stay a day before you head back South...".

I did and had my first ever two-pound grayling (two of them) from one of the streams linked above.

"Ee..."

Last edited:

George387

Reaction score
Looking forward to it, George. I've even got some waders for the job so I don't have to bypass any potentially good swims that I'd not manage to fish without them. Getting withdrawal symptoms with the usual being well up then only partially down for so long. You were bob on with your prediction on that score. I've had to resort to winter carping.;):D When it's lashing it down and blowing a hoolie tomorrow, have a good chuckle as I waste my time!:D

well just to peev you off buddy as your sat below your brolly have a look at my Blog ;) was up there today and produced :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Nothing like a bit of confidence, Sam......:D

I'm entirely confident that I'll catch nowt. Anything more will be a bonus. A pessimist is never disappointed.;)

Then there are the Yorkshire chalkstreams. Beg, borrow, steal, guest your way onto one of these - FishPal - England - Chalkstreams - Yorkshire

I've not fished that area for a good fifteen years or so. Sadly, I'm lead to believe that the grayling fishing isn't quite what it once was.

well just to peev you off buddy as your sat below your brolly have a look at my Blog ;) was up there today and produced :)

I'm not there yet, five o'clock alarm set and off to bed as soon as I've seen Newcastle beaten on MOTD. I'm not surprised you got out and did well. I was watching the levels drop last night and suspected it might be the best chance of getting out for a day or two. Unfortunately, I had commitments today. I was gutted when I poked my head out of the front door to find it bright and still.