Telescopic No 1 Section of Pole Match Kit Jammed

graham_williams

Reaction score
I'm very new to pole fishing and being rather ham fisted managed to extend the No 1 section of my match kit top such that it wouldn't push back into the No 2 section. I tried to ease the section when I got back home but unfortunately didn't keep the tip straight and it snapped off 2" from the No 2 section. I effected a repair by tidying up the tip and fitted a new bushing. Ideally I'd like to replace the No 1 section but am naturally concerned about wreaking more havoc!! I should be grateful to hear if anyone can suggest a way of loosening the joint. I've been reluctant to apply anything like WD40 for fear it may damage the carbon. Many thanks.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm very new to pole fishing and being rather ham fisted managed to extend the No 1 section of my match kit top such that it wouldn't push back into the No 2 section. I tried to ease the section when I got back home but unfortunately didn't keep the tip straight and it snapped off 2" from the No 2 section. I effected a repair by tidying up the tip and fitted a new bushing. Ideally I'd like to replace the No 1 section but am naturally concerned about wreaking more havoc!! I should be grateful to hear if anyone can suggest a way of loosening the joint. I've been reluctant to apply anything like WD40 for fear it may damage the carbon. Many thanks.

Generally, on stuck pole sections, it's a 3 man job. My No 4 got stuck fast into my No 3 after a match in September. You have one bloke on one end twisting one way and the bloke on the other end twisting in the opposite direction. While this is going on, bloke no 3 is in the middle with a padded implement (like the rubber butt-end of a hammer) rapidly, but GENTLY tapping the joint. Worked a treat for me. However with your bit being stuck telescopically AND one end being 2" long, you may have problems.

You could try tapping the short section out but would need to preven damage to the butt-end of your No 2. Try using a mate, or two, to hold the No2 and brace it while you place a bit of scrap wood over the broken end and try to tap it out with a hammer.

I would think that WD40 might exacerbate the problem rather than helping, as liquid can make a further seal by capillary action.