Origin of the Method Feeder

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

We all know what a Method Feeder is I take it. It's actually one of the deadliest means of catching carp, and a few other speciestoo.

But who invented it?

I have no doubt there will be all sorts of notions flying about in this regard. But let me give my opinion as to its originand we can take it from there.

I first saw the "Method Feeder" in action in 1967. The angler involved used a 2oz lead surrounded by a spiral bit of thick wire made from a coat hanger. Above the lead were two hook links, the lower one about 8 inches long and the upper one about 3 inches long. A large lump of minced cooked maize was moulded around the lead and spiral wire, the hooks were baited with single maize grains and the lower one on the paternoster was moulded into the lump of crushed maize around the lead.

Sound and look familiar?

On questioning the angler where he had learned to do that, he told me that his father had shown him, and probably his father before that.

So in all probability the method feeder was over 50 years old at the time and was developed to circumvent the South African by-law which banned the throwing out of groundbaitby hand.

W

Wolfman Woody

Look, don't go overboard, Ron. Save something in reserve for another article later.

Always keep them waiting!

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Not sure who invented it but i can tell you it works if fished correctly.

On my local Aston pond yesterday afternoon i had 14 carp to 6lb in 3hours fishing and every one was self-hooked.

Wether its a method for the "purist" anglers in our midst is another matter but sure works for me.

stumpguppy

Reaction score
Method is deadly here in the US !

ooo2002.jpg

ooo2004.jpg

My method mix is made up of;
5 cups of dried molasses
5 cups rabbit pellets (very small type)
5 cups cracked corn (maize)
5 cups chicken layer crumble feed
around 1lb or half a box of rolled quick cook oats (about .50 kilo)
about 8 cups of ground to a powder dog food(any kind will do)

R

Roto Fryer

try searching for some ewe pellets with a high maize gluten content and look at pigeon feed stump.

you never know

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

No Stuart.

Such devices were in use long before old **** was a gleam in his Dad's eye.

slime monster

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

No Stuart.

Such devices were in use long before old **** was a gleam in his Dad's eye.</blockquote>
ron reading between the lines some on fm would have it that walker had never known his dad./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

No Stuart.

Such devices were in use long before old **** was a gleam in his Dad's eye.</blockquote>

Stands back in shock amazement!

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

"My method mix is made up of;
5 cups of dried molasses
5 cups rabbit pellets (very small type)
5 cups cracked corn (maize)
5 cups chicken layer crumble feed
around 1lb or half a box of rolled quick cook oats (about .50 kilo)
about 8 cups of ground to a powder dog food(any kind will do)"

Never heard of dried molasses before, we can get liquid stuff from the horsey shops. Chicken layer crumble feed, could well be layers mash here. Vitalin would be a good dog food additive.

BUT - if Jimmy cracks corn, who really cares? Is that like flaked corn or just corn that has been cut/spilt?

Sounds a good recipe though.