Plans for the weekend. Anyone out fishing...?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Back to work tomorrow and Saturday but I'm looking forward to Sunday's club fixture on the GUC. A lovely long pound with plenty of features ( overhanging Hawthorn animal houses ) on the far bank.
Anyone else out fishing this weekend?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Much depends on the weather, river levels, whether I shift this cold and manage to get a decent night's sleep any time soon.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I shall do my best, but at the moment I'm more interested in the river running down my Entrance Hall walls (when it rains heavily, as it has done for a few days now!) than the river containing fish!

Amazing, how, after 25 years living in the same house, the rain decides to come in now, when nothing, seemingly, has changed outside (no loose or missing tiles etc), but one thing's for sure, IT WILL COST MONEY!!

BANG GOES THE NEW ROD!!

bigfish74

Reaction score
If the rain stols the river will be spot on
I always lime it with an extra few inches ip to a foot but not too coloured

Andy

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Heavy rain here in Essex rain forecast for the weekend so it looks like the rivers will be out. so it will be on still water.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've just read your post out to my wife to which she retorted " What sort of fisherman is he, if he can't handle a bit of rain and wind? We walked this morning and it wasn't too bad, so what's the problem"
In support of a fellow angler I said " Well, it's one thing walking for an hour or two in the rain and quite another sitting next to a lake, trying to stop the brollie from sailing away, and trying to cast a line" In fact (said I) why don't we pop down to my local water this weekend and you can have a cast or two, drink a mug of tea and see how you get on after 4/5 hours....

It went quiet almost immediately, and it's still quiet now.......So that'll be 1-0 to the fishermen, then??

Wonderful wife by the way, but like most women they can get a little ahead of themselves sometimes ......................no doubt I will pay later down the line..

Me? I've got leaky windows to sort..............................

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Quite.Cold does not bother me...I have the right clothing & I know how to wear it. Constant wind just wears you down but its the wet that does for me.

I'm not going out for the following reasons

1. I absolutely hate setting up in the rain
2. I absolutely hate fishing in the rain
3. I absolutely hate drying all my gear off afterwards.
4. I am not as young as I was and this is getting tougher & tougher.
5. I do not need to fish so desperately and never have.

Plus I just know that it wont be worth it. I would rather fish hard when its right than go for the sake of it just because I can. There are a few on here who, compared to my attitude, are IMO borderline obsessive. That's their business but it will catch up with them eventually. There is more to life than fishing.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Quite.Cold does not bother me...I have the right clothing & I know how to wear it. Constant wind just wears you down but its the wet that does for me.

I'm not going out for the following reasons

1. I absolutely hate setting up in the rain
2. I absolutely hate fishing in the rain
3. I absolutely hate drying all my gear off afterwards.
4. I am not as young as I was and this is getting tougher & tougher.
5. I do not need to fish so desperately and never have.

Plus I just know that it wont be worth it. I would rather fish hard when its right than go for the sake of it just because I can. There are a few on here who, compared to my attitude, are IMO borderline obsessive. That's their business but it will catch up with them eventually. There is more to life than fishing.

Very true there is more to life than fishing but there is nothing as good:).

symonh2000

Reaction score
I would have gone out this weekend but all of my usual waters are flooded. Even on the Gravel pits the levels have risen so that it is difficult to get near to the water.

I am not keen on the wet and the wind either.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I am really surprised with all the modern fishing layered kit and the boots and modern water proofs and we have lots of butterfly anglers who only go forth when the sun shines . How many of you can remember the kit that was available forty or more year ago and what we wore in the winter willies and sea boot socks if you were lucky army surplus a Barbour Solway if you were really with it cold stiff and uncomfortable a pair of Miller mits and a balaclava or woolly hat that your mum had knitted for you.

mick b

Reaction score
Ive still got my '64 Solway plus a brand new one unopened along with the Borg stud-in lining :eek:mg:

My hat was an Ex-Korean War fleece flapcap given to me by a family friend.
Still use it for the worst conditions but use a Sundrige Arctic as an all over, streets better than a Solway.
Never suffered from cold feet, especially now Muckboots have been invented.

ronroach

Reaction score
If the wind and rain back off a little I'll slip away around 2.30pm tomorrow to see if any big Perch are up for it on a nearby estate lake. Failing that Sunday afternoon.

Ron.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ive still got my '64 Solway plus a brand new one unopened along with the Borg stud-in lining :eek:mg:

My hat was an Ex-Korean War fleece flapcap given to me by a family friend.
Still use it for the worst conditions but use a Sundrige Arctic as an all over, streets better than a Solway.
Never suffered from cold feet, especially now Muckboots have been invented.

I had one of those hats it was my pride and joy. Until one morning in November 67 going to fish the cotton stretch at Sudbury on the Suffolk Stour we were in a mini bus about five minuets from our destination when my friend Jim god rest his soul grabbed my hat off my lap and was sick in it as we turned into the lane at the bottom of the hill. He gave it back to me with its contents and I threw it over the hedge I loved that hat.:(

nicepix

Reaction score
I'll be working on the house this weekend so no fishing until Tuesday.

I've been twice over Christmas. The first time was down to a small lake owned by a friend who has gone off to Spain for the winter leaving me to keep the weir from blocking up. It's a bigger job than I thought.

It was the first time I've fished it although I'd been down there three or four times before to clean the weir. I had no idea what to expect other than there were carp to over thirty pounds and some black bass in it. I just took one rod intending to wander about and settled for red worms and sweetcorn as bait as they are as reliable as anything other than bread on lightly fished waters. I had half a dozen small carp on worm, but nothing to write home about.

The weather was OK and I had the place to myself, but I didn't enjoy it. Probably too claustrophobic for my liking as I prefer bigger waters. Might be the trees that totally surround the lake that are the problem but I don't think Dave would take kindly to me doing some clearing. Can't see me fishing it again.

The second trip was up to the big lake and a new area that where I had found carp feeding last week. It was dull and rain was always possible and there was a stiff southerly breeze all day. I walked about 800 metres from the car, through two field, four fences and put the brolly up well back from the water to keep the tackle dry. I had to wade through about 4 metres of reeds to the water's edge where a river in a deep channel ran into the lake.

Once I got there I realised that the heavy rain had coloured the river and with it the bay where I had intended to fish. There was movement indicating the presence of fish but not as much as previously. I put a worm bait out in the channel about 1/3 way across and cast the second rod with a smelly salmon boilie out to the far side where the movement seemed most active. I had a couple of knocks but no takes and so I started the long walk back to the car that was parked up by the dam.

On the walk back, during which it rained quite heavily I spotted another area where carp were stirring, but it was the same story. A couple of line bites but no takers. The fish don't seem to be interested in bait.

Got home around 6pm just as it was getting dark. One of the big pluses of our house is that it is built on a full size basement that is light and airy. I can reverse the car in, empty it and leave all the tackle and clothing to dry overnight in an annex at the side of the parking area. Next morning it all goes into the cupboard ready for next time. :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes, I can well remember the wellies with heavy duty white socks worn by sea fishermen which also went very nicely with an ex army 'cape' to keep dry and one of those water proof hats also worn by sea fishermen/lifeboat crews at the time. (I cannot recall the name!)
All of this with a thick jumper knitted by mum (without the deer Running around the bottom!) and we managed just fine....
Obviously, a heavy duty Stew once back home banished all thought of cold!!

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, I can well remember the wellies with heavy duty white socks worn by sea fishermen which also went very nicely with an ex army 'cape' to keep dry and one of those water proof hats also worn by sea fishermen/lifeboat crews at the time. (I cannot recall the name!)
All of this with a thick jumper knitted by mum (without the deer Running around the bottom!) and we managed just fine....
Obviously, a heavy duty Stew once back home banished all thought of cold!!

A sou'wester was the hat in yellow or black.

nicepix

Reaction score
If any of you visited Whitby back in the 1970's or earlier you would have witnessed boats full of anglers going out to sea all dressed in identical foul weather gear. Everybody wore the same irrespective of size, shape or age. This ultimate wet weather gear was much sought after and subject to much black market haggling. What was this desirable brand? NCB of course. And it only came in yellow :D

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If any of you visited Whitby back in the 1970's or earlier you would have witnessed boats full of anglers going out to sea all dressed in identical foul weather gear. Everybody wore the same irrespective of size, shape or age. This ultimate wet weather gear was much sought after and subject to much black market haggling. What was this desirable brand? NCB of course. And it only came in yellow :D

Avery similar situation existed a Deal in Kent including the diesel all from NCB Bettshanger.