What strange or usually -

flightliner

Reaction score
Not seen fish behaviour have you witnessed when out fishing.
There must be so many sights that most folk other than anglers never witness.
Whats yours?:)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Strange to me but I am sure commonplace to others was a large pike on the surface eating a jack pike I watched it for nearly a minute till one of the dogs scared it the other, again pike was several of them gathered together in the canal all of them under two pound

nicepix

Reaction score
On one of the lakes where I fish in summer I regularly see red kites hawking the water and snatching live roach from the surface. Today, on the same lake, but a different area there were three coypu splashing about in the shallows and a couple of times a roach of around 4 oz was seen splashing along the surface just like a popper lure. I think it may have been chasing a water boatman or other insect.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I was one free lining a caster but using a whip and a dragon fly caught it mid air

richiekelly

Reaction score
Once saw a small pike taking flies from the surface in front of a bed of rushes, same day I saw a rabbit swimming, both of these were at sywell res.

sumtime

Reaction score
Years ago while enjoying a fishing session at Dig Pit on the St Helens card, I was watching a heron standing in the water immediately in front of me about 15 meters away. I noticed some movement a few yards from it then suddenly a large pike jumped from the water at the heron missing it by inch or two as the heron leaped up in the air, amazing sight.

At that period in time I always (bar this time :() had a video camera on most of my fishing exploits to show, on his orders, our youngest son when he returned home from school.

MRWELL

Reaction score
A terrapin,i caught the darn thing wile fishing :mad:,a Robin yes i caught one of those as well,left my hook bait on the floor for a short time and next thing it was flying all over the shop :mad:,a dead bait in a tree :confused:,yes i have seen one of those,it was mine :mad: but on a more pleasurable moment i did see what i think a sparrow hawk take a spod in mid air,it was a strange sight and i never have seen that before,it took it like lightening but soon let go when it realized it was a plastic thing not a bird,made my day seeing that but the carp angler was far from happy,all his particles dropping way short of the mark :wh

terry m

Reaction score
Most not anglers will never have seen a robin close up

As anglers will know they will feed out of your bait box

I once had a bold robin perch on my boots when I was reading an e-mail on my phone. It enabled me to take a decent picture of same.

Also once saw three kingfishers sat together at the same time.

symonh2000

Reaction score
A few years back whilst Barbel fishing, I has a little field mouse come out of the reeds and sit right next to my shoe.

It just sat there and looked at me, and didn't seem scared at all. Mind you I had been sitting still for a while.

Another time I was carp fishing I had a robin sit on one of my rods. I threw a couple of maggots on the bank next to me, and the little fellow came down and took some away. I kept putting them down and he kept coming back. I think they had a nest nearby as it was spring time.

It is suprising sometimes how close you can get to wild animals.

john step

Reaction score
When I was a kid I struck with my bamboo cane rod and knocked a swift into the water.

Twice(France + UK) I have seen a heron ungainly hovering to take a small fish.

Trotting on the Thames I had a grebe come up between my waders to try to take a dace as I lifted it out.

On the Roding I once saw a pure white mink swim by.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Have seen a pike take a duckling, a salmon take a truly giant fly, been evicted from my swim by a RAOC bomb disposal crew and once caught a picnic basket on the river Severn.

The things you do.....:)

Keith M

Reaction score
In my local stream there is a double figure Barbel of around 12lb and a Carp of a similar weight that have formed an alliance and are often seen swimming around together. The two are completely inseperable and their alliance has lasted over several seasons now.

On a local estate lake I have a Fox that creeps up behind me in the evening and then sits calmly and watches me fish.

I once woke up in my bivvie and found a Hedge hog which had climbed into my frying pan, licked up all the fat and fell asleep in my pan.

I have had robin's sit on my rods and had a wren run between my feet looking for maggots.

I often see a Heron walking along the waters edge with a Magpie following close behind hoping for the Heron to drop some scraps.

I once disturbed an Adder which was sunning itself on the grassy path around the edge of our lake.

I often see grass snakes swimming across our lake.

On my local stream I once heard a lot of commotion in an adjacent swim and afterwards saw a small stoat dragging a rabbit into the undergrowth behind me.

I have had a mole move just below the ground surface under my feet and pop up just in front of me.

And the list goes on.

Non anglers often miss all of this but it's the sort of things that we angers see all the time.

Keith

Last edited:

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
On a small lake that I fish, I often fish the pole and a robin regularly perches on it and flits between me and my mate scrounging maggots.

Once saw a mink swim under the tip of my rod while waggler fishing.

Grass snake swam right past the end of a rod that I had out with a PVA bag rig and made the alarm beep.

Chaffinches regularly nick bait from my maggot box on one lake.

While beach fishing, a seagull took my bait just as it hit the water and had to be reeled in and unhooked - herring gull and beak like a bloody razor!

Another time, while fly fishing with a dry fly and nymph setup, I hooked a mallard in the foot and it took off and I had to reel it in out of the air to general hilarity and quacking noises from the rest of the blokes present.

Barbel fishing on a beat of a smaller river I had managed to set myself up in a swim on the opposite side to a water vole's bankside retreat and watched its comings and goings all day.

A mate and I were flyfishing Appleton Reservoir on the Warrington card, at dusk, and he hooked a Pipistrelle bat on his backcast! It was only hooked in the wing and we managed to free it, apparently, none the worse for wear.

These are things, both magical and comical, that make fishing priceless!

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have watched a adult kingfisher showing two younger kingfishers how to fish. Had field mice roll boilies out of my bivvie last summer I had the fishery fox Monty curl up and go to sleep on my swim for the afternoon. I have caught bats on the back cast while sea trout fishing at night

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
There are a few that spring to mind.

A Seal on a side drain off the Witham that seemed intent on chasing a Spinnerbait repeatedly, drove me off the water.

A Kingfisher, that landed on my rod tip whilst I was lure fishing on the River Trent. It didn't perch there for long, perhaps a couple of seconds. But I was holding the rod at the time, that made it special.

Then there was the ''dopey'' Pike at Dam Flask. This took place in the area known as the bay. At the time the water was low, and much of the steep rocky bank was exposed. Just as I was about to make a cast, a couple of bait fish came flying out of the water a few yards in front of where I stood, followed by a huge swirl, then a crack as the pike hit the submerged rocks at my feet. We were gobsmacked, the pike ''and a good one'', lay at our feet lifeless. My mate Ches netted the fish, and spent the next half hour trying to revive it in the landing net, sadly to no avail. So after quickly weighing the fish, we buried it close by after removing a scale for a growth check. How big you ask, well I did say ''a good 'un'', the poor sod went twenty eight and a quarter.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There are a few that spring to mind.

A Seal on a side drain off the Witham that seemed intent on chasing a Spinnerbait repeatedly, drove me off the water.

A Kingfisher, that landed on my rod tip whilst I was lure fishing on the River Trent. It didn't perch there for long, perhaps a couple of seconds. But I was holding the rod at the time, that made it special.

Then there was the ''dopey'' Pike at Dam Flask. This took place in the area known as the bay. At the time the water was low, and much of the steep rocky bank was exposed. Just as I was about to make a cast, a couple of bait fish came flying out of the water a few yards in front of where I stood, followed by a huge swirl, then a crack as the pike hit the submerged rocks at my feet. We were gobsmacked, the pike ''and a good one'', lay at our feet lifeless. My mate Ches netted the fish, and spent the next half hour trying to revive it in the landing net, sadly to no avail. So after quickly weighing the fish, we buried it close by after removing a scale for a growth check. How big you ask, well I did say ''a good 'un'', the poor sod went twenty eight and a quarter.

Asad tale just goes to show how fragile pike are other fish would have survived that and swam away.:(

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
"On a local estate lake I have a Fox that creeps up behind me in the evening and then sits calmly and watches me fish".

"I once woke up in my bivvie and found a Hedge hog which had climbed into my frying pan, licked up all the fat and fell asleep in my pan".

Wonderful, and how privileged you are to have that happen. :thumbs: