anyone fishing on the 27th ?

C

Cakey

27th Aug the Whole World is waiting for.............

Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August. It will
look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. This will cultivate on Aug.
27 when Mars comes within 34.65M miles off earth. Be sure to watch the sky
on Aug. 27 12:30 am. It will look like the earth has 2 moons.

The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.

Share this with your friends as NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see it again.
moons.gif

Nathan

Reaction score
I'm off all next week following a house move this weekend so I might do a night session just to see this. The girlfriend did tell me to go fishing so she could start sorting the house so I have the perfect excuse!

W

Wolfman Woody

If no one has seen this for a long long time and no one is likely to see it again for a couple of hundred years, HOW COME YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF IT?

I didn't know D300s were THAT good.

John Heelis

Reaction score
Cakey,

i've been having a little search around the internet about this, and some of the sites are saying that this event happens nearly every 27th aug some say 2003 some 2007 some say it's a hoax (one of them internet urban myth thingies) I can't even find much on NASA's site.

i'm not saying that you are incorrect, but where did you find out about this. I would have thought that there would have been something mentioned in the media about a "once in a lifetime" experience of this kind.

I'm hoping that you are right. currently a little dubious about it thats all.

C

Cakey

Woody..............I took it on my pin hole camera back in the 50's

John Im not sure either ,a mate sent it in an email but but she is not normally wrong

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Cakey that is clearly a snowman boiliepresentation thrown into the air and snapped,you cannot pull the wool over my eyes !!

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Sorry Cakey.Mars Close to Earth EmailIs it true?

Not only is this not true for this year, at least part of it is not true ever. <blockquote>"Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye." If Mars ever looked as large as the moon, everyone on Earth would probably die very soon.

Now, for the rest of the email, as David Emory, the Urban Legends Guide, puts it, "I labeled this rumor 'true' when it first began circulating in the summer of 2003, 'outdated' when it went around again in 2005, and just plain 'false' when it appeared for the third time earlier this month."

David is right, the record approach happened in 2003 when Mars Closest To Earth in 50,000 Years. Also, Mars was pretty close last year during the Close Approach of Mars in 2005.

Earth is currently chasing Mars around the sun. The next time we "lap" it and get pretty close to Mars (when Mars is in opposition) is around December 17, 2007

C

Cakey

cheers Merv.........................................cameras away

Dangerous Steve

Reaction score
Doh, Now I will need to think of another excuse to go fishing /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

I think Merv should change it to true so as we can all get out fishing !

J

John McLaren

Definitely two boilies there Cakey!

The last time Mars came it's closest to Earth was 27 August 2003 but it won't be that close again for another 279 years according to the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3184157.stm

Even in 2003 it was very bright but nowhere near as big as your friend's email sand your boilie photo suggests - shame really that would be quite a sight!

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
We're doomed..doomed I tell ye! (add private Frazier's acsent)

Another good reason to go fishing, got to get our last session in before the Martians attack.

My missus won't buy it /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

yes Bully.....you should try it one day instead of 10 men in a bath !/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
I was out fishing in the depths of the Teme valley in the summer of 2003, the last time Mars seriously gate-crashed the Earth's party.

It was breath-taking. It was a cloudy start to the evening but as it got towards 10-11pm the sky cleared and suddenly a bright ball of tangerine/ crimson light hoved into view low above the tree line (as bright as a street lamp) making the river glow blood red. An awesome spectacle...

We all caught too... so I'd make that a definite date for your Moonstrike diaries in 274 years /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

blandford-esq

Reaction score
If this was true, our sea state is going to be crazily out of control with tide hights higher than snowdon.