What would you miss the most ?

flightliner

Reaction score
Supposing a big angling weekly went out of circulation, would there be any particular bit of regular content that you would miss. :confused:

lambert1

Reaction score
I would miss John Bailey in the Mail and Dave Harrell and Des Taylor in the Times, but then I am a newcomer!:wh

mick b

Reaction score
Miss.....MISS..........jeeez you kidding:confused:

If you wait a year or two it will all be repeated all over again, or if you cant wait that long, get a load of oldies and you'll find it all there.

Complete waste of money IMO.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I buy the AT every week have done since a boy about 55years. The most interesting par for me is the first two or three pages what been happening and caught . I read the rest if it interests me then I swap it with my friend for the mail either Tuesday night or Wednesday. It has become a habit over the years.

C

chefster

I too buy the AT every week,i like the match section,fishery reports,new gear reviews,articles from Steve Ringer etc,at £1.85 i think it a bargain,and i would miss it all,Chef

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would definitely miss the numerous pictures of plates of boiled baits - not!

But then I have not bought a weekly publication for about 4 years . . . . . .

terry m

Reaction score
I buy the Mail very occasionally, generally when a headline story or picture catches my eye. In truth I enjoy a quick browse through but I would not enjoy reading the same offering every week.

If they went out of circulation I probably would not notice for a long time.

nicepix

Reaction score
I had the Anglers Mail delivered every week back in the 1970's and really enjoyed some of the articles written by legends of their time. Then they introduced a new writer by the name of John Bailey. After enduring three weeks of his tripe I cancelled my order and haven't bought an angling weekly since.

lambert1

Reaction score
I stopped fishing in the early eighties and have only recently started again as I mentioned in my first post. I used to read the Times every week in the 70s and still have the Ivan Marks float I saved all the coupons for! I have been reading the angling press a great deal because I felt really out of touch with how things have progressed since then and to be honest I came to this forum somewhat late through googling various things and finding this forum was always the one with the most answers. There seems to be an overwhelming dislike of the weeklies on here and from your comments, it would seem that there is good reason. I do not have either the knowledge or the experience to judge at the moment. I enjoyed the Crabtree programmes but to be honest I enjoy anything fishing related and I did feel that they might be a good way to encourage kids to fish, but only time will tell on that one. :confused:

C

chefster

There seems to be an overwhelming dislike of the weeklies on here and from your comments, it would seem that there is good reason. :

Just because one or two old fuddy-duddys say they are rubbish,does,nt mean its true-thousands of copies are sold every week and a lot of enjoyment and knowledge is gained from them...

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

to be honest I came to this forum somewhat late through googling various things and finding this forum was always the one with the most answers. :

You obviously have,nt used many other forums then!!

sam vimes

Reaction score
There seems to be an overwhelming dislike of the weeklies on here and from your comments, it would seem that there is good reason.

I don't dislike them, at worst I'm indifferent. I just don't feel the need to pay for them. The same applies to almost all angling print media. I'd have a look if they were free.

lambert1

Reaction score
You obviously have,nt used many other forums then!!

No this is the first and only one so far. As I said, I am new to this. I did say "it would seem that there is good reason" purely from the comments made so far from frequent contributors. I am not about to cancel my subscription to AT and will continue to read John Bailey and I will still read the Fuddy -Duddys too!

Keith M

Reaction score
I used to look forward to my fishing papers and magazines when I was younger, and even wrote a couple of articles in a couple of them back in the mid 80's; but reading articles all about the same old repeated subjects just doesn't float my boat anymore.

I can't remember the last time that I bought a weekly angling paper and I only ever buy a monthly if there is an original article in it that I am interested in (which isn't very often).

So 'No' I wouldn't really miss it myself if an angling weekly went out of circulation, however I would still think it sad as it would still be a great loss to other anglers especially the younger generation of anglers who haven't yet had their fill of the usuall subjects.

Keith

Last edited:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Rarely read them nowadays either. I could be more tempted to build up a collection of older magazines from the 70s or early 80s off ebay. It would be interesting to see how much of them i could remember and whether they could still entertain as they did first time round (wish my mum hadnt thrown em all out when i left home 30 years ago).

The wall-to-wall advertising and obsessive carp disorders of the current crop leave me cold - but as i dont read them often I am sure to be missing some nice articles.

I can usually find all the features and analysis i need on FM, interesting debates etc and theres enough good anglers to advise on up to date equipment, methods etc for oldskoolers like me. And its not biased by sponsorship either.

mick b

Reaction score
Anyone ever pick up a copy of Sea Angling News????

Now there IS how to run a magazine.

Its completely free, all you have to do is collect it from your tackle shop, or you can pay a subscription to have it delivered to your door but the paper itself is still free.

It is full of USEFUL info, catch reports and importantly, adverts from companies that make good, honest, soundly made tackle.

If it can be done with sea angling why not freshwater :confused:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone ever pick up a copy of Sea Angling News????

Now there IS how to run a magazine.

Its completely free, all you have to do is collect it from your tackle shop, or you can pay a subscription to have it delivered to your door but the paper itself is still free.

It is full of USEFUL info, catch reports and importantly, adverts from companies that make good, honest, soundly made tackle.

If it can be done with sea angling why not freshwater :confused:

It is a very good read and keeps you up to date with the catches and who the best skippers are.