How did you get on?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Once again I'm sure the floods put paid to any river fishing around the SE today and some parts aren't blessed with canals.
The Tring anglers were supposed to fish at Startops end Marsworth today but it was gin clear and blowing a hooly. We decided to look at Cheddington and it was fishable. Having fished the same venue last Sunday and all biteless we abandoned our match midday. Today however fish were caught. I have to admit I took an early bath. My peg seemed devoid of any fish over 1 ounce.
Tiny perch, razorblade roach, see through gudgeon and 3 tommy ruffs for me..
Others fared better and caught some quality roach and skimmers.
By 12:30 I'd had enough. The bitter wind and drizzle got the better of me and when a woman picked up my pole roller and tossed it aside when I had 13m of pole out, well that was the last straw.....

How did you get on?

C

chefster

I fished at TBF on High pool(peg 11) yesterday,it was lovely day,bites all day,F1,s,barbel,roach,ide,perch,skimmers for 70 lb odd-it was an awesome days fishing for January!!:D:D Chef

barbelboi

Reaction score
Well, as the rivers are behaving themselves locally I'm out for some more trotting on Tuesday.........

barbelboi

Reaction score
Had a spot of wading/trotting today 10.30 - 14.00 - conditions were not ideal with bright sunshine for much of the time and clear water. Eight chub, although a couple were 'lets.....................

frw4_zps0d88e191.jpg

frw2_zps903fb8bc.jpg

sam vimes

Reaction score
Saturday on my favourite peg on the local river. Despite the level being well up, trotting produced eleven grayling in just a couple of hours. Same peg on Monday, fractionally less water, produced one solitary grayling before I gave it up as a bad job. I can only assume that the difference was in the water temperature.

Change of trotting scenery today gave me eight grayling (to just over a pound) and three half decent trout (biggest nudging towards two punds).

Last edited:

neil1970

Reaction score
I blanked in 4 swims from 1.30 til 5.15 today.

What would have been a bit of a dull day was saved by 4-5 interesting conversations from club members, none of whom were fishing.

nicepix

Reaction score
I had a rather disappointing day yesterday. I pulled a muscle in my back last week and it has been giving a bit of gyp since. It was aggravated on Sunday doing a spot of tree pruning. Yesterday morning I had a mole trapping job in the morning so I took some lunch and after setting the traps continued to the lake where I hoped to fish. Problem was that as soon as I put the rucksack on my back it went big style :eek:

I hobbled to the swim I'd intended to fish like Old Father Time and noted the carp sporting on the surface while I had a breather. It seems that the carp in the Charente have woken up. On a reccying mission a few days ago they were leaping like salmon. Anyway, I was in so much pain I couldn't sit in comfort so after about half an hour of stood up fishing in the rain I returned to the car and made for home where I could barely get out of the car let alone unload it. The gear was left scattered around the annex to dry and I retired to bed.

I'll see how I feel tomorrow and if OK will have a couple of hours spinning after checking the traps. I think that will be better than sitting in a low chair for several hours.

lambert1

Reaction score
Nicepix, please feel free to call my an old woman if you want but be careful with your back mate as these things can start as a muscle pull and get worse, believe me I have been there! You sound as though you are a very active guy who needs to be fit for his work and sometimes you cannot just work through it. After too many sessions with an Osteopath my wife's aunt (who used to be in athletics) suggested wearing a back support when I was doing heavier work. There is nothing sissy about it, it simply holds your back in the right position when you are lifting stuff and helps ensure you don't pull muscles etc. Since I have been wearing one (about four years now) I have had no more than back ache occasionally to contend with. The make I have got is Vulcan and it is so easy (just Velcro) to fit and carry round with you if you know you might be doing some heavier work. Hope you get better soon mate as back pain is miserable. In keeping with the thread, I blanked yesterday as well and the most notable moment was trying to stop a Springer Spaniel from scoffing my cheese paste! Take care mate.

mick b

Reaction score
Fished a small carrier, which coincidently looked a lot like the first photo on the thread, started 13.15 and stopped 18.10.

Used bread all day (nothing new there) and had 3 Grayling all as shiny as herrings, no colour on them at all, muddy water maybe??? also 4 Chub best a 3-7 that really put on a scrap and 6 Roach four 1lb+ best 1-3 and none of these fought at all :confused:

Discovered a new method of fishing in the dark with a float...
Using a Cralusso I held back hard with 2ft or so on the bottom, I set the rod up high so the line was direct to the float (hooray for my new Ultralight 15 footer) and watched the flo-cast line which seemed to glow in the semi dark......when the line slackened there was always a fish on the end :D

The only problem was I had to stand all day and all the time I was slowly sinking......and I forgot my flask:eek:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Fished a small carrier, which coincidently looked a lot like the first photo on the thread, started 13.15 and stopped 18.10.

Used bread all day (nothing new there) and had 3 Grayling all as shiny as herrings, no colour on them at all, muddy water maybe??? also 4 Chub best a 3-7 that really put on a scrap and 6 Roach four 1lb+ best 1-3 and none of these fought at all :confused:

Discovered a new method of fishing in the dark with a float...
Using a Cralusso I held back hard with 2ft or so on the bottom, I set the rod up high so the line was direct to the float (hooray for my new Ultralight 15 footer) and watched the flo-cast line which seemed to glow in the semi dark......when the line slackened there was always a fish on the end :D

The only problem was I had to stand all day and all the time I was slowly sinking......and I forgot my flask:eek:

Mick, what are the current levels on the Itchen? A couple of us are hoping to fish the stretch at Shawford next week.

mick b

Reaction score
Mick, what are the current levels on the Itchen? A couple of us are hoping to fish the stretch at Shawford next week.

Hi,
Sorry I do not know that beat, BUT

In a word.....it is ridiculous :eek:mg:

The difference between the river above and below the hatches at Gaters Mill is about 40cm.
The whole of the LIF is flooded out and the gates are being kept locked for safety reasons.
The 'free' maybe fishable but Ive not seen many there myself.

If you check the river on EA website you can read the gauge heights daily.

Im told it has been rising since the weekend so check with someone onsite before you travel or go elsewhere.

Andy at Iford posted that the Stour is dropping, so perhaps thats your best bet for an awayday ????

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thanks Mick, just thought I'd try in case you passed the area - we'll obviously check the EA site but sometimes 'in your face' information is more revealing.
Jerry

nicepix

Reaction score
Nicepix, please feel free to call my an old woman if you want but be careful with your back mate as these things can start as a muscle pull and get worse, believe me I have been there! You sound as though you are a very active guy who needs to be fit for his work and sometimes you cannot just work through it. ..................

Take care mate.

Thanks for the advice and concern. I have shown this to Little Wife and she has grudgingly given me a sick note from gardening for 24 hours :D

Actually I don't work as such. I just do a bit of mole catching for pocket money and something to do. Just a few hours a week ;)