Stinky !

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Goes with the territory I suppose but once my winter zander campaign gets under way my gear does not half pen and ink....and when I say gear I mean everything....bags,boxes,rods,reels,clothes,me etc. Clothes and I can be washed,reels cleaned but how do you get rid of the horrible dead smell that seems to permeate bags & rod quiver ?

I've had a good look and there is nothing unsavoury festering in a corner.Just a horrible corpsey whiff everywhere. Mrs S is starting to give me some very fierce looks which I know rarely ends well for me. Scopex & pineapple she will tolerate...but sardine,lamprey & roach is another matter.

Ideas ? I do try not to wipe l'essence de deadbait over everything bankside but after a session the car [and now the utility room] smells like a crab pot that's been in the sun too long...and its not going away.:eek:mg:

terry m

Reaction score
I think it just goes with the winter pred fishing territory. And has been exacerbated this year by the long damp spells when kit rarely gets the chance to dry out.

Most of my fishing this time of the year is deading for pike, everything stinks of herrings and everything seems to be covered with fish scales from the deads.

I have no quick fix, except perhaps a clothes peg on your hooter.

Keith M

Reaction score
Reminds me of when I attended my first job interview after leaving the RN; I had been deadbaiting for Pike in the morning and no matter how much I had scrubbed I just couldn't get rid of the fishy smell that was on my hands; and I was dreading the interview with me stinking of fish.

My interview was with the head of personnel who was a woman and the first question she asked (with a smile on her face) was "Did you catch anything this morning?" which gave me a start; she turned out to be a great angler herself and I was offered the job.

Keith

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use Neutradol air spray or Febreze pet odour spray they both do the trick when it comes to bad smell of all kinds. Rods and reels give them a spray leave for five minutes then wipe down with a damp cloth. I keep all my gear in the house and the only thing the misses moans about smelling is me:D.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Obviously a quality household to have a 'utility room'.......not too far from a personal 'tackle room' I'd say......
My utility room does for tackle as well and I'm happy to say I never get 'those looks' from my other half........probably thinks all the more though1

Smell, NOTHING seem to help although I do make use of the greenhouse to 'air' the gear for short periods. Does it help, well, I like to think so, but.......

Nets etc are just left outside til I need them....

nicepix

Reaction score
Obviously a quality household to have a 'utility room'.......not too far from a personal 'tackle room' I'd say......
My utility room does for tackle as well and I'm happy to say I never get 'those looks' from my other half........probably thinks all the more though1

Smell, NOTHING seem to help although I do make use of the greenhouse to 'air' the gear for short periods. Does it help, well, I like to think so, but.......

Nets etc are just left outside til I need them....

Another vote for the utility room :)

When I got back from fishing yesterday I was able to back the car into the parking area of the basement, unload the wet gear straight into an annex, sorry - 'personal tackle room' (I like that T-C) where it could be spread out to dry before being stored in the walk in cupboard within the annex (or PTR). Once the cupboard doors are shut there is no smell or disapproving looks from Little Wife who might not understand why I need a cupboard full of tackle.

Fabreze is good for getting rid of smells as it kills the bacteria that causes them. But, a good old-fashioned thorough drying out in an airy place will also reduce much of the odour.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another vote for the utility room :)

When I got back from fishing yesterday I was able to back the car into the parking area of the basement, unload the wet gear straight into an annex, sorry - 'personal tackle room' (I like that T-C) where it could be spread out to dry before being stored in the walk in cupboard within the annex (or PTR). Once the cupboard doors are shut there is no smell or disapproving looks from Little Wife who might not understand why I need a cupboard full of tackle.

Fabreze is good for getting rid of smells as it kills the bacteria that causes them. But, a good old-fashioned thorough drying out in an airy place will also reduce much of the odour.

My wife would be ecstatic if my gear went in a walk in cupboard:eek:mg:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
We 'lucky' anglers with understanding wives don't know how lucky we are....I know of some who cannot even bring tackle into the house and are banished to the 'shed' (down the other end of the garden) or the garage..
Cries of "it might get nicked from the garage" are only met with smiles of great longing and thoughts of how the vacant space could be filled with all things decorating...

Yes, the odd nag is what we have to bear for our sport, and be thankful for it!!

Tackle in the shed/garage? ..............no, I'm afraid we're talking divorce !

ps Regarding smells; It's always struck me as odd that someone hasn't come up with a spray...........surely it would be a winner, and after all said and done we seem to have a spray for everything else!!

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We 'lucky' anglers with understanding wives don't know how lucky we are....I know of some who cannot even bring tackle into the house and are banished to the 'shed' (down the other end of the garden) or the garage..
Cries of "it might get nicked from the garage" are only met with smiles of great longing and thoughts of how the vacant space could be filled with all things decorating...

Yes, the odd nag is what we have to bear for our sport, and be thankful for it!!

Tackle in the shed/garage? ..............no, I'm afraid we're talking divorce !

ps Regarding smells; It's always struck me as odd that someone hasn't come up with a spray...........surely it would be a winner, and after all said and done we seem to have a spray for everything else!!

I have told the misses a few times that I would put her down the shed before my gear. I have mellowed over the years I would let her use my chairs and bed chair these day now that they are kept in the shed with some of my nets.:D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
everything seems to be covered with fish scales from the deads.

Like pine needles they get everywhere. I got in the other night, put my glasses on & thought I'd gone blind in my right eye. Big old sardine scale stuck to the lens.

And how many scales does a roach have for goodness sake ? After a session there must be 5000 stuck to my reels alone and they are the very devil to get off once they've gone tacky.

nicepix

Reaction score
Like pine needles they get everywhere. I got in the other night, put my glasses on & thought I'd gone blind in my right eye. Big old sardine scale stuck to the lens.

And how many scales does a roach have for goodness sake ? After a session there must be 5000 stuck to my reels alone and they are the very devil to get off once they've gone tacky.

Arthur Ransome wrote a lovely article about finding a trout scale on his rod at the start of a new season and it reminding him of the previous season's catches. But 5,000 roach scales on a reel doesn't have the same nostalgic impact.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The worst thing I bought in last year was a kit bag full of earwigs:eek: