Dog walkers

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Why do you not put you dogs on the lead when passing anglers?

Last weekend whist fishing a woman was walking her dog round a lake I was fishing, firstly she shouldn't have been there as it was a commercial fishery and the only reason to be there is to fish there is no public access or walk, secondly she had her dog , a lab , off the lead.

The dog was well in front of here and came over to me and promptly stated to eat some meat I had in the bait box, in fairness the woman came over and apologies and rather than have a go at her I thought I'd try to make her keep her dog on the lead in future in such circumstances. I said to her "Keep an eye on your dog, that meat he's eaten had maggot juice in it, some chillies ground up and curry powder, nothing that will hurt him but it might make him ill or sick"

The woman n looked a bit worried but thanks me and said she'd watch her dog in case he was vomiting or had upset stomach.
The dog would be fine, in truth the meat was just plain lunchmeat with nothing added but it might make her think twice about letting her dog off the lead round anglers

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why do you not put you dogs on the lead when passing anglers?

Last weekend whist fishing a woman was walking her dog round a lake I was fishing, firstly she shouldn't have been there as it was a commercial fishery and the only reason to be there is to fish there is no public access or walk, secondly she had her dog , a lab , off the lead.

The dog was well in front of here and came over to me and promptly stated to eat some meat I had in the bait box, in fairness the woman came over and apologies and rather than have a go at her I thought I'd try to make her keep her dog on the lead in future in such circumstances. I said to her "Keep an eye on your dog, that meat he's eaten had maggot juice in it, some chillies ground up and curry powder, nothing that will hurt him but it might make him ill or sick"

The woman n looked a bit worried but thanks me and said she'd watch her dog in case he was vomiting or had upset stomach.
The dog would be fine, in truth the meat was just plain lunchmeat with nothing added but it might make her think twice about letting her dog off the lead round anglers

The meat could also have had a hook in it then it would have been a visit to the vets.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
The meat could also have had a hook in it then it would have been a visit to the vets.

True mate and not a cheap visit either

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 ----------

Did you report the incident to the owners/manager?

If she was there without permission then they should be made aware.

No Peter - he's even worse - his dog roams round the lake on it's own (he lives just up fro mthe lake) and that eats your bait if you don't watch it - plus he did come round whilst I was there

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
True mate and not a cheap visit either

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 ----------

No Peter - he's even worse - his dog roams round the lake on it's own (he lives just up fro mthe lake) and that eats your bait if you don't watch it - plus he did come round whilst I was there

When I was fishing Britford in the 60s/70s there was a English setter and he was a real artist if you got up of your basket or box he would have the lid up and your food out as quick as a flash. I have seen squirrels nick food out of anglers boxes and bags on the tidal Thames Richmond.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
When I was fishing Britford in the 60s/70s there was a English setter and he was a real artist if you got up of your basket or box he would have the lid up and your food out as quick as a flash. I have seen squirrels nick food out of anglers boxes and bags on the tidal Thames Richmond.

the owners dog just sticks his head in yopur baitbox if you don't watch him - trouble is a few angler feed him bits and it encourages him

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
the owners dog just sticks his head in yopur baitbox if you don't watch him - trouble is a few angler feed him bits and it encourages him

We have a club fox they call him Monty and he comes and sit on your swim scrounging and he will nick anything he can get his teeth into. I tried to get him off my swim last year by giving him a nudge with my foot and the sod had my slip on away and run of with it my friends thought it was very funny.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
As a nipper I used to fish the The Longwater at Hampton Court where the sheep would be into your sarnies in no time flat if you left them out of your bag . . . . . .

Magical, and a much more genteel time than today

peterjg

Reaction score
What is about dogs and their bloody owners!? They think that it's OK for them to crash through your tackle, slobbering over everything ...... and that's just the dog owners never mind the dogs!

When you have a go at them they then look at you as if it is your fault!

sumtime

Reaction score
I love dogs before anyone starts :) we have had a few in our lives, the last one passed away due to anemia, at 5yrs of age so the wife says no more. :(

mention dog poo to any dog walker and everyone of them say they clean up after it's done a dump, what a gang of liars eh? there must be one enormous dog with no owner doing the rounds of Britain then. :mad:

It's happened to me too, Paul, mainly on the canal, dog eating my bait and knockin' everything over, had to really bollokkk the last bloke, who apologised, he must have been 50yds away from the dog that was running amok.

Our local park and paths are a bloody disgrace, we need cctv everywhere and deport these brain dead selfish &*^%&^%&$^'s to the moon.

theartist

Reaction score
I fish parks and public footpaths often and as a result of dogs I NEVER leave anything outside of my rucksack even on private waters, which I find is a good habit to get into.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
There have been a couple of times when I've been fishign the lake late i nto the evening on summers night and ther has just been me there. The owner's dog has snook up on me and then stuck his head in my bait box making me jump up in surprise bait going one way, chair another :D

Bloody dog is liek a ninja

beerweasel

Reaction score
A big bar of 90% cocoa chocolate left on your creel will sort them out. (said in jest) :D

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There have been a couple of times when I've been fishign the lake late i nto the evening on summers night and ther has just been me there. The owner's dog has snook up on me and then stuck his head in my bait box making me jump up in surprise bait going one way, chair another :D

Bloody dog is liek a ninja

I was fishing early stints this season 2 am till 9am float fishing for the tench using black pudding no chair just sitting on the side of the swim. I nodded off for about five minutes and Monty the fox must have been watching me. I heard the Tupperware lid move looked down and all but one cube of my bait had gone sly old fox.

nicepix

Reaction score
I was fishing a lake in Ireland with two friends and as soon as we began to throw groundbait in a black Labrador came running down from a bungalow on the far side of the lake. The damn thing swam the full length of the lake and started swimming round in circles looking for whatever we had thrown in. Then, as if things weren't bad enough it grabbed my mate's float and retrieved it to him :eek:

Couldn't get rid of the thing so we packed up and move to another venue :(

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was fishing a lake in Ireland with two friends and as soon as we began to throw groundbait in a black Labrador came running down from a bungalow on the far side of the lake. The damn thing swam the full length of the lake and started swimming round in circles looking for whatever we had thrown in. Then, as if things weren't bad enough it grabbed my mate's float and retrieved it to him :eek:

Couldn't get rid of the thing so we packed up and move to another venue :(

A dog day but not really:)

maceo

Reaction score
It's one of the factors that makes me decide on where I'm going to fish. The Windrush is polluted with 'em and they're along every 5 mins. The Thames far less - you only see a handful in a whole day.

Although the owners have got every right to let their dogs run around loose on public lands around the rivers where I fish, and I do appreciate we have to share, I do wish some of the owners would be a bit quicker off the mark in coming to get them when you're fending them off from gobbling down your bait.

Bleating "no! no! Bad doggy!" feebly from 30 yards away is not enough.

Normally I'm very chilled when I'm fishing, but the one and only time I did get a bit snotty it was with a lady dog owner. Nothing and nobody for half a mile one way down the bank. Nothing and nobody for half a mile the other way. She comes about 10 yards away from me and starts chucking a stick in for her dog to splash in and retrieve. Not once or twice. Over and over and over. Until eventually I cracked and shouted at her "HAVE SOME BLOODY CONSIDERATION WILL YOU!"

She didn't reply, but did beggar off.

laguna

Reaction score
I love dogs and our last one was always hitchin to be let off the lead on canal paths, he was very friendly and approached everyone and anglers too wagging his tail - but loved to **** on their gear for some reason? :D

caesarson

Reaction score
In all fairness. Being a keen angler and a dog owner i always try and mix the 2 when i can. And he can be a pain going up to other anglers. But thankfully more people know him on the lake and look forward to seeing him when i visit my local water and he's always tied to my seat box on a new place or when the lake is busy.

That aside, i can understand the mindset of a dog walker. They have decided to take time out to get the dog walked. Which their first thought is to get the dog as tired and walked as much as possible. Putting the dog back on the lead never really comes into it until you come to a road crossing a country road into the next part of the forest, field etc.

That in mind i always put my dog on a lead if i'm about to walk down a canal, river or lake i have not been to. He knows what a fisher man is and he know we carry meat. So he is always going to run to an angler to check what bait he has and for a stroke as he's used to that.

My advice. I think in the first instance, always stay calm (the dog will look after its owner). Just get the owners attention and ask to put the dog on a lead because your stuff is expensive or there are hooks in the bait he may eat. 9 times out of 10 the owners just need educating.

Beating that have a pittbul tied to your seatbox lying out of sight by the bait tray. When you see a dog coming, quickly tell the owner to put the dog on the lead. When they ingore you, say "fella i would". When your still ingonred and the dog gets about 20 yards away from you. The pitt will raise his head, the other owner see's him. His stomach suddenly drops and cannot run quick enough to get their dog. :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
NOT just fishermen!
I walk a great deal and regardless of huge signs with the request to keep them on leads, MOST owners think it's a God given right to allow these bl**dy animals to jump all over you with cow/horse sh*t, mud and goodness knows what else all over your clothes!

Don't I just love it, when despite constant calls of "here boy" etc, the dog steams onward and jumps on you only to have the owner approach with "so soorrry" or, even worse, "he doesn't bite"....................
When I say "Yes madam, BUT I DON'T KNOW THAT, DO I" I've even had one 'lady who lunches' type say to me "Oh, HOW rude".............but I suppose it's the price I pay for walking in areas frequented by the well to do who don't know any better...

Shoot the lot of 'em I say........and the dogs!!

Last edited: