Illegal tackle items for sale - Ebay

robtherake

Reaction score
Flagged on another forum. Two ugly and barbaric devices available through Ebay UK.
Whilst I understand that fishing practices and culture outside of the UK are quite different to our own, there really is no excuse for these things being made available over here

I've reported the items, and would urge that those who agree with me should do the same.

"Method feeder" - not quite sure what method we're talking about here...

Fishing Feeder 4x fishing hook carp fishing tackle carp fish coarse method | eBay

Ear rings for the S/M afficionado...

10X Plate Multi Fishing Hooks With 9 Small Hooks Fishing Rigs Tools Bait Hooks | eBay

Lovely, aren't they?

richiekelly

Reaction score
Flagged on another forum. Two ugly and barbaric devices available through Ebay UK.
Whilst I understand that fishing practices and culture outside of the UK are quite different to our own, there really is no excuse for these things being made available over here

I've reported the items, and would urge that those who agree with me should do the same.

"Method feeder" - not quite sure what method we're talking about here...

Fishing Feeder 4x fishing hook carp fishing tackle carp fish coarse method | eBay

Ear rings for the S/M afficionado...

10X Plate Multi Fishing Hooks With 9 Small Hooks Fishing Rigs Tools Bait Hooks | eBay

Lovely, aren't they?

I have never seen anything like those things.

I notice the first is from the USA and mentions it being ideal for carp?

How can I complain to Ebay about these as they are totally illegal in the UK

robtherake

Reaction score
I have never seen anything like those things.

I notice the first is from the USA and mentions it being ideal for carp?

How can I complain to Ebay about these as they are totally illegal in the UK

Click on "report item" on the actual listing and choose from the drop-down menus offered. There doesn't seem to be any way to add any text.

Prohibited and restricted items – overview

richiekelly

Reaction score
Thanks Rob, done it,

Mistake on the feeder on in my previous post, not from USA, from Bulgaria.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This sort of tackle and worst I have seen them with up to a dozen hooks on them Two year ago. They are standard kit in some parts of the continent. Bailiffs in my area have come across home made models left on night lines some made up with wire for pike ect.:mad:

daji

Reaction score
I guess, in other countries, if you're catching for the pot the more hooks the better and fish welfare doesnt come into it :(

laguna

Reaction score
Thanks for bringing this to our attentions Rob.

This seems the most appropriate selection from the report item link:

Prohibited and restricted items >
Illegal items and items encouraging illegal activity >
Other illegal activity concerns

The listing encourages, promotes, facilitates, or instructs others to engage in illegal activities.

Here's the direct link to file that report http://cgi1.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...e=1&itemid=251429049175&seller=elfishesdesign

*Don't hold your breath though, ebay are notoriously candid about reporting listings that takes away listings fees/sales revenue.

sam vimes

Reaction score
You can buy all sorts of things legally. I think you'll find it is only illegal to use them..

Yep, illegal to use in this country, not illegal to own or sell. You might swing it with the "encoraging illegal activity" angle, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

mick b

Reaction score
Ive seen things like this used in Greece for Mullet.
Mashed bread being balled up around the cage and the hooks left bare.

Certainly not what we want used on our waters, but ebay is worldwide and if its advertised written in English the sellers seem to get it up somehow.

A problem waiting to happen me thinks.

Reaction score
Thanks Rob, done it,

Mistake on the feeder on in my previous post, not from USA, from Bulgaria.

Horrifying piece of equipment.

All I can say is that in 6 years of visiting and living in Bulgaria and visiting many tackle shops I have never seen one of these on sale. I will however pay particular notice to what is being sold on the stalls in local street markets and hardware shops.

The Bulgarian tackle shops are extremely well stocked and well aware of the new laws. The shops are increasingly dominated by carp gear from UK companies.

The law in Bulgaria is now quite explicit in terms of coarse fishing - catch and release. Like us, of course, there are not the officials to police everywhere. Although I have had my licence checked by the equivalent of the EA more frequently in Bulgaria (twice in six years) than in the UK (once in the last 40 years).

A tip here. When a camouflaged individual with a holster asks you for "pasta" do not reply in faltering Bulgarian and sign language the equivalent of "No mate I'm using sweetcorn. Is it any good here?" - pasta is a polite police request to see your fishing pass/licence. :eek:mg:

---------- Post added at 09:22 ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 ----------

I guess, in other countries, if you're catching for the pot the more hooks the better and fish welfare doesnt come into it :(

True and when you are living on poverty level or below you will be looking for any source of cheap/free food.

richiekelly

Reaction score
You can buy all sorts of things legally. I think you'll find it is only illegal to use them..

Why would you want to buy something that you couldn't use as it would be illegal?

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 ----------

Horrifying piece of equipment.

All I can say is that in 6 years of visiting and living in Bulgaria and visiting many tackle shops I have never seen one of these on sale. I will however pay particular notice to what is being sold on the stalls in local street markets and hardware shops.

The Bulgarian tackle shops are extremely well stocked and well aware of the new laws. The shops are increasingly dominated by carp gear from UK companies.

The law in Bulgaria is now quite explicit in terms of coarse fishing - catch and release. Like us, of course, there are not the officials to police everywhere. Although I have had my licence checked by the equivalent of the EA more frequently in Bulgaria (twice in six years) than in the UK (once in the last 40 years).

A tip here. When a camouflaged individual with a holster asks you for "pasta" do not reply in faltering Bulgarian and sign language the equivalent of "No mate I'm using sweetcorn. Is it any good here?" - pasta is a polite police request to see your fishing pass/licence. :eek:mg:

---------- Post added at 09:22 ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 ----------

True and when you are living on poverty level or below you will be looking for any source of cheap/free food.

The item is made and sold in Bulgaria, not sure why the price is in dollars though.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Why would you want to buy something that you couldn't use as it would be illegal?

Collectors etc... Though it is pretty clear these are meant to be used, and in some countries where carp are considered pests they may even be encouraged.

sam vimes

Reaction score

I've no idea what goes through their heads. You might try asking the question of a collector of antique/obsolete calibre or deactivated firearms. Neither require a licence to hold/collect and quite a few choose to do so. However, any attempt to use or reactivate is illegal.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Collectors etc... Though it is pretty clear these are meant to be used, and in some countries where carp are considered pests they may even be encouraged.

Agree about collectors and perhaps I should have explained my thoughts better. what bothers me is that these objects may be purchased and used by people in this country, that's why I don't understand why these items would be purchased if they were not to be used, they are not the type of thing that a collector of tackle would want surely?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Agree about collectors and perhaps I should have explained my thoughts better. what bothers me is that these objects may be purchased and used by people in this country, that's why I don't understand why these items would be purchased if they were not to be used, they are not the type of thing that a collector of tackle would want surely?

Who knows why anyone buys anything? I can walk down my local high st and see all manner of things I wouldn't buy but there's no accounting for some.
Whether this specific item is legal or not is down to regional bylaws.
My local Thames bylaws state that 'no more than 3 hooks can be used on a single rod and line.' Cut one of the 4 hooks off and it would be legal.
You can buy mackerel feather multi hook rigs on eBay with 8 hooks and nobody bats an eyelid....