pollution

A

Ashe Hurst

Some of you may have read my winges about my local river cray in north Kent.

The problem of fly tipping and dumped/burnt cars has escalated this week.

I phoned the EA,thay say its down to the council to sort out. and not the EA.

The council say the track is public right of way and was breaking the law,thats why they removed the gates that stopped vehicals.
Now they cant afford to remove the debri
from within the river , bank and path.
Also it is too costley to try and prosicute offenders,yet they have plans
to build a proper access point for vehicals that will drive within a few inches of the waters edge.At some points
it is very narrow with a steep drop on both sides,this is where most of the dumped cars end up.
This area of river is part of the councils GREEN and CLEAN sceme.

The EA and council are keen on me setting up a Angling and nature , conservation project for this stretch of river,but are unable to offer suport at this stage.

With all the governments and local councils talk of creating a better environment and protecting wild life,then i would like to know why our council tax and lisence fees and other funds towards the environment only go to the more well to do areas?

P

Phil Hackett

Ash
Contact the local paper and tell them you've got a story about the neglect of the official environmental bodies.

They don't like the bad PR.

P

Phil Hackett

P.S.
You could ask for the council to apply for a "stopping up order" on the right-of-way on the grounds of crime and disorder. This method is being used more and more nationally with entries, alleyways, etc.
Whilst I have some misgivings about it, I can see some merit in it for problem areas.
Alternatively, could it be gated again with a style put in?

M

Mike Parker

Me thinks there may be some confusion twix Public Rights of Ways, Byeways, and Public Footpaths?????;o)

M

Mike Parker

Either way Phil is right, contact the Local rag, it will do wonders for your cause, you'll probably find your Angling and Nature project taking off.

There are a lot of people out there living in your neighbourhood that think the same as you and are feeling alone in their cause.

Get to it Ashe and the best of luck to you.

C

Chris Bishop

Keep shaming them in the local papers - there are several campaigns against this going on in other parts of the country.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I lived in Crayford for a while Ashe and used to fish about twenty yards up from where the main road goes over the river. It was once a super spot where the lilleys come up in the summer. The worst part about your comments is that the council dump can't be no more than 200 yards from the river!
The guys in the Crayford tackle shop were sound and would be well up for supporting your cause. I'd give them a shout and get your heads together!

D

David Will

Recently a similar set of circumstances occured involving the River Colne.The organisers of the clean up of the river got local Schools involved. The papers love stories involving kids improving their environment. Worked a treat , I have never seen Councillors move so quick !

M

Mark Birchall

Ashe

Mate i know what you mean, Last time i came down to your manor i was shocked how much rubbish and dumped motors there was in such a small area. I reckon the same as all the other lads have said here really, Take some photo's as well and send them in with your letter at least then they have some photographic evidence to back up your issue.
Its the age old story of the local authorites, Out of site out of mind. Sad really. Good luck mate anyway.

A

Ashe Hurst

Cheers guys for your suport and constructive comments.

If i was however to kick up a fuss, would i get the blessing of the council for any actions i may take to benefit the area?
Me thinks not,Time to run up the joly roger
and just do it.
I know the locals are keen so im not short of suport.
Ive tried to put my skills and knowledge of fishery and land management in to practice many times,only to be knocked back and refused permision by councils,land owners and developers.The local powers that be know how persistant i can be(pain in the arse)

A

Ashe Hurst

just to let you know i,ve had a response from the council,very positive.

They are going to remove the debri and vehicals,also introduce a vehical restiction.
They are also very keen for me to set up the Angling and natuure conservation project
with help from variouse departments and LA 21(local agenda 21).

How long it takes for actions to be carried out im not sure,but i know i can deliver on the groups aims.

I will keep you informed.

A

Ashe Hurst

PS

Mark, check your mob,those squelchy noises sounded a bit iffy.

bye bye.

A

Ashe Hurst

Work started,
The local council have removed some of the debri, also two mounds of earth have been placed across the entence at an angle so as to restrict vehical access,but allow walkers and cyclists access.

C

Chris Bishop

Ashe - sounds like it would make a great article for the site and encourage other people to make some phone calls and badger the relevant bodies.

A new change in the law was hinted at by Jack Straw last week, basically councils will be able to remove abandoned vehicles a lot faster and recover costs against the last registered keeper.

Wherever it is, it's someone's responsibility. Officialdom's favourite trick is always to try and fob you off on someone else.

The King's Lynn Club (see article on their AGM - <a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=testingsp&v=1&UAN=1797>'?33,000 Investment In Angling?s Future'</A>) have done a great clear-up job on one of their waters, along with putting some concrete barriers in place to stop more cars being dumped.

A

Ashe Hurst

just been down the cray,now dominated by off road bikes or stolen bikes.up and down behind me swim.

Not much of a litter prob at moment,alittle bit of work here and there.

ok, WHO PUT THE CARP AND GOLD FISH IN THE RIVER CRAY???

Plenty of small fry,looking healthy.
used marks boot as a swim feeder.the other as a porta-loo.
Still organising conservation group set.

Assisting local conservation group with a Angling/conservation stall at the local
marsh and river awarness weekend,will use it to promote the angling and conservation
on the river cray.

A

Ashe Hurst

Hi chaps,

Been a long while since i last posted details on the river cray in north kent.

I have been involved with an organisation called Thames 21.
They remove litter and Debri from the River Thames and its tributies, this includes the cray.

We, Thames 21, locale residents and scouts removed several tons of litter and Debri from the playing field side of the Thames road stretch.

Some one had started work on the oposite bank but left the Debri on the bank.
We got a skip delivered and removed.

Ive also taken part in a risk assesment and safty training course with Thames 21 and am in the process of finalising the Angling and conservation group with Thames 21.

OK, WHO PUT THE KOI CARP IN THE RIVER CRAY?

I trust you are all well and will keep you all posted.

S

Stuart Bullard

Ashe - you really should write this up, especially nots its close season. I am sure Graham would be interested.

I live just up the road, Orpington, and fish Cray Lakes (or did until I nearly got done by the pikies). Did you hear about all those nappies, nearly 300, flowing down the Cray into Broomwood? Where did they come from!!

A

Ashe Hurst

No I didnt know about the nappies, can you tell me more?

Just been down the cray for a stroll, just north of crayford, Chub and poss dace looking good in clear water amoungst streamer weed and gravle beds.

At present im planning another clean up at barnes cray/thames road . Not got a date set as yet.

Also was informed by bexley Rangers that the gates at Thames road and Maiden lane are to be put back, I think they are taking the fly tipping and car dumpping seriousley now.

Ive also heard disturbing rumours that a group based in footscray want a total ban on fishing on the cray.
The only fishing allowed on this river is from middle of Hall place to thames road, and thats restricted to a few tight swimms and the last 1/4 mile. About 25 swims max.
I will look into this however. Also a club once used the thames road stretch, but no longer do, or maintain it, i need to find out what they intend to do. Considering the neglect and lack of use, I dont think they deserve it.

Thames 21 have offered me the use of remote cctv survailence equipment. Info recivied is use by a leagal team to proscute fly tippers.

Chat to you all soon,

Ashe.

A

Ashe Hurst

Just to let you know that the E/A stocked Grayling back into the River Darrent last week. Not sure what stretch though.

This is a lovley river, ashamed to say i dont fish it as often as i should.