Clumsiness....

robtherake

Reaction score
Here's a bold statement: there is no living angler in this green and pleasant land more cack-handed than I.

There: I've said it, and it's probably the truth. Over the years, more mishaps - all self-generated and eminently avoidable - have come my way than any ten other anglers of my acquaintance. It has nothing to do with bad luck - just plain incompetence, pure and simple. I suspect it will ever be this way (cue Hamlet advert!)

I could fill a book of biblical proportions from cover to cover and still have enough left over to start a second volume.

So let's have a little example...

Roll back a couple of months and a new rod prompted a morning visit to my favourite lake. A method feeder cast to an island margin was being studiously ignored by the resident fish population, so it seemed safe (!) to set up an (almost) identical second outfit and cast to a gully in open water that's usually good for a fish or two.

There was still no action, so after a while, out went a couple of spods of particles and I wound in for a recast. At this point, a youngish gentleman - a local - dropped by for a chat. Now, I like this chap; he's a studious and successful catcher of the bigger carp and freely gives sound advice based on experience.

But I grow nervous under observation and make a bigger ass of myself than usual, so I popped the rod back on the rests rather than demonstrate a perfect miscast, dropping the feeder in the margin and remembering (holy of holies!) to flick the 'runner on, just in case.

Smug in the knowledge that I'd avoided a screw-up, we chewed the fat for a while, until the insistent tick of a baitrunner drag alerted me to the fact that a fish had slipped up.

I promptly picked up the WRONG ROD, alarmed at the curious lack of resistance, and watched, horrified, as the feeder swung round the OTHER ROD in a diminishing spiral, with each turn of line neatly intersecting each coil of the pigtail eye of the Sidewinder indicator mounted thereon.

By this time, the hooked fish had built up a head of steam and the"live" rod (the new one, egad!) with line now tethered to the blank by tightly wound coils of finest 10lb mono, took off like an arrow.

To my credit (and I didn't realise I still possessed such reflexes) I managed to reach out at full stretch and grab the very last inch of handle, thus narrowly averting disaster. It didn't occur until much later that both rods could have gone swimming - ye gods:eek:

Strange choking noises from behind indicated that this farce was having the usual effect, but, to his credit, my young friend grabbed the other rod, so there was at least a slim chance of sorting the mess out.

Pulling the outfit towards me and grabbing the line forrard of the tangle to make a little slack, it must have taken ten minutes to sort out the resultant bird's nest, with the fish interrupting proceedings at intervals by reminding me of it's presence in the usual manner.

After ridding the live rod of the tangle, it soon became obvious that the line on this rod was also now wrapped round the pigtail, so it was back to work, yada , yada, yada....

Eventually, and the fish was still on by the way, a very pretty, but bored mirror of maybe two pounds (it probably had time to smoke a fag and have a laugh with it's mates) came to net, but I still hadn't finished, that would be too easy, wouldn't it?

By this point, thoroughly humiliated and fed up, I fumbled the net, the frame bounced on the end of the platform, catapulting the carp back from whence it came, whereupon I had to play it in again!

As if that wasn't enough, to add insult to injury, a stray dog took advantage of the confusion and ate the best part of a kilo of Cell boilies while our backs were turned, taking off when noticed, licking it's lips and with a ner, ner, ner, ner, ner expression on it's mug - I swear it was laughing too, the b'stard!

To make my embarrassment complete, on the way back to the car, one of the nuts fastening the wheel on one side of the Korum chair wheel kit came adrift. That side dropped like a stone, destabilising the lot and dumping it all in front of a gang of nubile schoolgirls walking in the opposite direction.

Why do I bother, eh?

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You are not alone have a look at fishing accidents on You tube.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Ha ha ha at least you made me laugh ! Its not just me then.

Excellent post ! I was a whiteacres once landing the feeder on a postage stamp like some robot from the future sent here to save the world when the clip came off and said feeder landed in a tree ( thank God otherwise it would have landed in the lap of the bloke opposite ) and it seemed the whole lake stopped fishing to watch me pull it off ( ooer Mrs ).

john step

Reaction score
Robtherake, Mate' you are definitely not alone. I have taken my mobile, wallet and car keys for a swim 4 TIMES in the last 2 or three years.TWICE in the winter.
No-one will go out with me in the clubs boat on work parties. This is not to mention the mud bath I have taken ARS.. over APEX twice this muddy winter.

Do you think we are related? Did your dad have a bicycle?:eek:mg::eek:mg:

robtherake

Reaction score
Robtherake, Mate' you are definitely not alone.

Do you think we are related? Did your dad have a bicycle?:eek:mg::eek:mg:

Ha ha ha! Well, John, he lived in Doncaster as a lad and young man, but I still reckon it's a long bike ride to your gaff, mate :D

I reckon it's a recessive gene that some of us are afflicted with, or something like it. Goodness knows, however much I try, things never improve. We must have been placed here for the amusement of others ;)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I'm like Mr Co-ordination compared to you guy's.

Last Saturday I was doing the weekly shop in Asda's when a toddler stumbled into a shelving rack displaying thermos flasks. The two topmost flasks in the display were the largest size, they teetered, wobbled and then fell towards the kid's head. I was like Superman, I pushed the trolley to one side, dived over and caught both flasks by the handles before they brained mother's little darling. There were a quite a few shoppers watching and I got a few "Whoo, whoo's" and a round of applause, I was quite made up for a minute or two.

robtherake

Reaction score

Last Saturday I was doing the weekly shop in Asda's when a toddler stumbled into a shelving rack displaying thermos flasks. The two topmost flasks in the display were the largest size, they teetered, wobbled and then fell towards the kid's head. I was like Superman, I pushed the trolley to one side, dived over and caught both flasks by the handles before they brained mother's little darling. There were a quite a few shoppers watching and I got a few "Whoo, whoo's" and a round of applause, I was quite made up for a minute or two.

He-ro-o! He-ro-o!

Nice one, Ray. You're the yin to our yang, so's to speak :D

robtherake

Reaction score
Robtherake, Mate' you are definitely not alone. I have taken my mobile, wallet and car keys for a swim 4 TIMES in the last 2 or three years.TWICE in the winter.
No-one will go out with me in the clubs boat on work parties. This is not to mention the mud bath I have taken ARS.. over APEX twice this muddy winter.

I haven't fallen in for a couple of years now, John, although the amount of impromptu dips I've taken beggars belief :eek:mg:

A little volume in my possession - Angler's Angles, by John Burrett and Alan Pearson - has a whole chapter (Angles on natural hazards) devoted to such mishaps.
In it, as well as detailing the various "adventures" the author's been subjected to, he theorises that falling in occurs in cycles. A cycle of regular pratfalls is followed by a period in which those around you are similarly afflicted, before a lull when no-one goes for a clothed swim, only for the whole thing to start again. I must be well overdue, then, if the theory's correct. Maybe I'll stay in for a bit :D

It's a lovely book - cheap, and well worth tracking down - to read on days like today, when you'd rather be tucked up warm and cosy rather than face the elements. The authors are such good observers of angling and the human condition it's easy to be drawn into their world, and before you know it you've reached the end and want to read it all over again. Splendid stuff!

nicepix

Reaction score
I'm very much the same. If a tangle can happen it does and having no spacial awareness I regularly get rod tips tangled in trees and bushes. Knocking things over is another specialty of mine.

I think the unsurpassed King of this sort of thing is Bill Dance:

Bill Dance Bloopers Mix.flv - YouTube

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Rob, the common factor here is that you had an audience both times.

You're not alone here mate. Every single time i've pulled off a piece of angling brilliance - a perfectly timed bit of side strain on angry tench thats diverted it from the lillies at just the right time, or a swift first-time netting of a deep swimming carp where the fish comes up in the net with a look of surprise on his face that says "I didn't see that coming"... every time anything like that has happened, I will guarantee there's been no witnesses.

However, any time i've got an audience - its like a red rag to a bull - fish will need landing not just twice but three or four times. Or more likely, that will be the point where I've realised that i haven't set the net up yet and I'll need to ask my (inevitably!) professional looking camo-clad passer by if he can just give me a hand? Tut tutting, the carper will assemble the net (with a few disparaging words about whether the size is ok for the fish in the lake) and there will then ensue some proper messing about where it will appear to my new found friend that I've never done this before!!

Maybe this is what makes anglers such a surly miserable bunch, we just know that any kind of interaction with other people while we're fishing will just make us make proper t*ts of ourselves.

Which makes me wonder, how does anyone do it with a camera pointed at them????

robtherake

Reaction score
You're definitely onto something there, Jim. Although I'm still accident prone when solo, add an audience and it's like Frank Spencer in wellies.

Nicepix: I almost decapitated a pair of brand new spinning rods last time down the river, in exactly the same manner, this time sans audience. Thinking myself clever, I reversed them to carry butt-first, only to find when I set off again that forward progress was now impossible as the tips were firmly entangled in a briar patch....:eek:mg:

Thanks for the Bill Dance link, mate. Proof positive, if need be, that he and I share common ancestry...

Last edited:

lambert1

Reaction score
This post and all the responses so far have made me feel so much better! As I said in my first post I feel so clumsy and awkward with tackle on occasions. I have small hands which you would think might help with knots etc but I struggle with a loop tyer and the matchman hook tyer and unless we are talking about size sixteen upwards I am a big fan of hooks to nylon! However I did (after reading all the advice on here) have a tangle free first go with the Okuma pin I got for Christmas and was really pleased with how it went. I did not catch a thing mind, but there was only one swim that I felt was really safe to fish that day as any falling in would have been curtains and from what I can gather, no one else had any luck that day either! Modern low diameter lines and small hooks can leave me looking like Mr Magoo and my wife finds my home rig tying hilarious (she bought me one of those desk top magnifyers!). On the bank I too have more than a passing acquaintance with brambles and overhanging trees but Judging from the number of floats hanging in the branches I am not the only one! I hate people watching me or asking me what tactics I am using as that is bound to be the sort of instance when I hook a bush or tree. My stock reply to the question "what are your after" is anything that swims!:wh

robtherake

Reaction score
Small hands/short sighted isn't a good combination, is it? Especially with advancing years. In my youth, size 24 spade ends to 8oz bottoms were no problem; now I can hardly see the little blighters, let alone tie one! And I'm only 51, for goodness' sake!

I find those mini rig rings almost impossible to pick up and thread on the line. Learning new knots and rigs has the air turning blue and my frustrations can be heard all over the house. Fortunately, the wife and kids (and the dogs, bless 'em) quickly learnt to give me a very wide berth at these testing times :D

lambert1

Reaction score
I'm 53 mate and cannot believe how bad my dexterity and eyesight have got! Trouble is I love float fishing above all other methods so long trotting has become short/medium trotting but what the hell! :wh

robtherake

Reaction score
It could be worse, mate; imagine if we fished together....:D

Fortunately, I've learnt to be philosophical about the whole unfortunate business and am quite often to found perched on the end of my fishing chair, doubled up with mirth.

Unfortunately, that's usually the exact time when someone passes by, shaking their head in disbelief and wearing an expression suggesting that I'm two slices short of a loaf :eek:mg:

If I had to give of an example of someone else's misfortune to illustrate the level of ineptitude displayed, I think it would have to be when John Wilson was boat fishing for pike in the first series of "Go Fishing." He was commenting on the spinal deformity of a boomerang shaped pike when, with a mighty flapping action it jumped out of his hands, dropping on and neatly bisecting the rod laid on the boards. The scene faded out to the "laughter" of the resident duck population. It was such a graphic demonstration of the level of my own incompetence that it could almost have been the same bloke!

Last edited:

lambert1

Reaction score
Yeah it is reassuring that JW had his moments too! I was watching him on another Go Fishing programme where he was struggling to land a Grayling because his rod was caught in a tree!

Merv Harrison

Reaction score

With reactions like that Ray, you should be washing your hair in Head and Shoulders and playing in goal for England :thumbs: