Crack in float, Gromit!

robtherake

Reaction score
Yes, the title's spelled correctly.

Found bobbing in a lake margin - what looked like a free crystal waggler actually turned out to be something quite different...

Says on the side: Fladen Anyone Can Toke 2BB :D

It strikes me that the maker shows a level of industry which could see him gainfully employed...but I bet he's not.

mick b

Reaction score
Seen similar but nothing from a piece of fishing tackle.
Obviously a throwaway item coming from Fladen!

Just imagine that amount of ingenuity gainfully employed, could even be another Dyson waiting for a bit of direction?

Or someone on the downhill slope to nowhere:confused:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm intrigued, mostly by which water you were on. I doubt that I'd have recognised such a thing for what you're suggesting it is. I'd also be very wary of melting plastic if it were my ingenious implement. I doubt that it's something I'll see on the waters I frequent. But at least I don't have to give fumes from such substances a very wide berth any longer, no danger of a random drugs test these days.

robtherake

Reaction score
I'm intrigued, mostly by which water you were on. I doubt that I'd have recognised such a thing for what you're suggesting it is. I'd also be very wary of melting plastic if it were my ingenious implement. I doubt that it's something I'll see on the waters I frequent. But at least I don't have to give fumes from such substances a very wide berth any longer, no danger of a random drugs test these days.

It's a council-run water in the middle of a dog rough sink estate, Sam.

I've fished the place, on and off, for the best part of 30 years. The locals can be a bit, err........interesting, but for the most part, they don't bother you. Most of them are reasonably friendly, if you take the time to chat to them. Just normal people, a vast proportion of whom have fallen by the wayside through no real fault of their own. If you bother to ingratiate yourself with the decent ones, they sort of shield you from the nutters.

The real draw for me is the whopping crucians that live there; remnants of a larger population that used to average half a pound back in the 80s.
It's now rare to see one under 2lbs - my best is currently 3.6. The week after I caught it, I banked another from the same swim which made it look like a tiddler, but, sick of lugging a ton of gear to the bankside, I'd trimmed it right down and managed to leave out the scales. What a dummkopf!
I'm reluctant to guess the weight, but if I was put on the spot.... at least 4.8, maybe even 5: it was colossal. And yes, having caught thousands of them through the years, I'm pretty sure it was a true cru.

Sadly, the place has repeatedly been stocked with common-or-garden carp, so they're now almost impossible to target, bearing in mind that the numbers are so low. This year, I've not had one at all.

No pics, I'm afraid. it's the sort of place where you wouldn't take a camera of any value, or even flash your mobile phone around, but I'm determined to get a pic of the next one that falls to my rods, come what may. They really are the most magnificent creatures; even more so, for being this far North.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lot of it about. When I was fishing a lot of the Colne a heck of a lot in the 2005 to 2008 period, I came across two plantations of dope plants - six, great, six- to 9-foot Sativa plants immediately recognizable after my days fishing the Indian Himalaya for both trout and mahseer, in late summer, reeking in full flower and about to be taken down and cropped. I gave them a wide berth, especially after meeting the guy who owned them on a riverside path early one morning - backpack, walking boots and gear, birdwatchers' binos - "Oh, nice try ... very good ... but you've got to hide the mattock handle that's sticking out of the top of your pack - dead give-away, geezer.".

sam vimes

Reaction score
Rob,
that narrows it down to one, perhaps two possible candidates I know of.;)
Not somewhere I'll be rushing off to on my own!:D However, crucians over a pound or two in this neck of the woods are a very worthwhile proposition. There aren't many places to catch them round here, let alone big ones.

john step

Reaction score
Reminds me of the day we found some growing in a dense wood copse in Trent Park Enfield a few years back.( There is a college there). For a laugh one of the lads pulled them up and substituted them with Tomato plants. I bet that caused some head scratching.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Reminds me of the day we found some growing in a dense wood copse in Trent Park Enfield a few years back.( There is a college there). For a laugh one of the lads pulled them up and substituted them with Tomato plants. I bet that caused some head scratching.

This Wednesday gone at 5am in the morning we had a house catch light in the road at the back of ours. It turned out to be a pot factory six fire engines attended the roof has gone completely and the fire has damaged the houses either side. They had by-passed the meter and had loads of electric fires on the go a woman and child were rescued from the first floor.

robtherake

Reaction score
This Wednesday gone at 5am in the morning we had a house catch light in the road at the back of ours. It turned out to be a pot factory six fire engines attended the roof has gone completely and the fire has damaged the houses either side. They had by-passed the meter and had loads of electric fires on the go a woman and child were rescued from the first floor.

I bet the watching crowd went home happy....man:D

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I bet the watching crowd went home happy....man:D

It was all cordoned off you could not get with in 200 yards of it. Maybe that is why there was so many fire engines they were being overcome by the smoke:D I bet a pound to a penny that is not the only one . I watched a programme about it the other night and a chemist said that in the sixties the drug content was about 2% but these days where the plants have been genetically engineered over the last fifty years they are getting readings of over 20% no wonder people are going off their heads. I remember some years ago the headline in the local paper police garden goes to pot. The met police used to run a competition for the best kept police station. The judges visited Barking police station garden to find that one corner of the garden had some nice tall green plants growing on inspection they were found out to be pot. They reckon a wag detective planted them for a laugh.:eek:mg:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Those pot factories are a landlords nightmare, they are very often rented by a middle class couple, sometimes with kids in tow who have a tale about being seconded to a local business and want a six month contract cash up front, the landlord thinks its Christmas and gets a contract sorted and hands the keys over.
As the contract nears it's end he goes to check on his property to find the curtains drawn, the letterbox sealed up and the locks changed.
After a 6 to 8 week battle with the courts to get access to his property he manages to get in only to find holes knocked through all the walls to run the pipes for the automatic irrigation and power for the light and heat, ceilings down due to water damage or just removed to stop them falling on the plants, flooding everywhere and the remains of a crop littering what is left.
The nice couple and their kids are long gone as are the illegal immigrant Chinese gardeners, pulling the same stunt on another unsuspecting casual landlord in another town. This is not your local dope head growing a couple of plants for his own consumption, this is organised crime which involves human trafficking prostitution and god only knows what else.
In my opinion it is high time the whole trade was legalised. Prohibition has been proven not to work, we only have to look to the states and the growth of the Mafia during the prohibition years of the 20s and 30s to see that.
Politicians world wide should bite the bullet and put an end to it.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yup. I am inclined to agree. Though I wouldn't want the new 20-plus-plus per-cent THC marijane kicking around in my own head (it destroys both short term and long term memory, now or later - a la Cheech & Chong x 10 or "Hey dude, where's the car?" - Dude, Where's My Car (trailer) - YouTube - a lot of people do these days. Shame not to tax it and give fine wine-quaffing richer voters in Surrey a tax cut....

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Those pot factories are a landlords nightmare, they are very often rented by a middle class couple, sometimes with kids in tow who have a tale about being seconded to a local business and want a six month contract cash up front, the landlord thinks its Christmas and gets a contract sorted and hands the keys over.
As the contract nears it's end he goes to check on his property to find the curtains drawn, the letterbox sealed up and the locks changed.
After a 6 to 8 week battle with the courts to get access to his property he manages to get in only to find holes knocked through all the walls to run the pipes for the automatic irrigation and power for the light and heat, ceilings down due to water damage or just removed to stop them falling on the plants, flooding everywhere and the remains of a crop littering what is left.
The nice couple and their kids are long gone as are the illegal immigrant Chinese gardeners, pulling the same stunt on another unsuspecting casual landlord in another town. This is not your local dope head growing a couple of plants for his own consumption, this is organised crime which involves human trafficking prostitution and god only knows what else.
In my opinion it is high time the whole trade was legalised. Prohibition has been proven not to work, we only have to look to the states and the growth of the Mafia during the prohibition years of the 20s and 30s to see that.

You are right about the type of property used on the same programme I see they showed a couple of top end houses in the south east they said they crop about £200,000 per house.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Yup. I am inclined to agree. Though I wouldn't want the new 20-plus-plus per-cent THC marijane kicking around in my own head (it destroys both short term and long term memory, now or later - a la Cheech & Chong x 10 or "Hey dude, where's the car?" ....

Humm yes Cheech & Chong "Up In Smoke " got to be one of tha all time best films ever made only seen it once on TV , Serious good fun ..

Pete

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You are right about the type of property used on the same programme I see they showed a couple of top end houses in the south east they said they crop about £200,000 per house.

What was the program? I am speaking from the experience of a couple of landlords I know through the local landlords association who had this happen to them in the early days when they were first starting out.
They tend to prey on the accidental landlords who rent a house which has been left to them and advertise it through the local paper.

aebitim

Reaction score
Lot of it about. When I was fishing a lot of the Colne a heck of a lot in the 2005 to 2008 period, I came across two plantations of dope plants - six, great, six- to 9-foot Sativa plants immediately recognizable after my days fishing the Indian Himalaya for both trout and mahseer, in late summer, reeking in full flower and about to be taken down and cropped. I gave them a wide berth, especially after meeting the guy who owned them on a riverside path early one morning - backpack, walking boots and gear, birdwatchers' binos - "Oh, nice try ... very good ... but you've got to hide the mattock handle that's sticking out of the top of your pack - dead give-away, geezer.".

More likely to be indica in the himilayas, sativa does 12-12 indica does photoperiod

nicepix

Reaction score

The reason that cannabis 'prohibition' hasn't worked is that it was never put in place. Governments talk big on anti-drugs laws and enforcement but in reality they have never delivered what they promised.

In my opinion there is a state plan to legalise the drug so that people like Branson can make millions from manufacturing and selling legal drugs. That in my opinion will create a two-tier drugs supply with the legal stuff being dispensed by prescription and a healthy black market for those who don't qualify or want drugs that aren't in the legal sector.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Well said Pix. As soon as the government of the day finds a way to properly tax cannabis it will be legalised. That will then leave class A which due to not being able to house offenders in overcrowded prisons for lengthy periods of time will slowly be accepted into the position some class B and C drugs currently occupy in the social scene.

nicepix

Reaction score
Well said Pix. As soon as the government of the day finds a way to properly tax cannabis it will be legalised. That will then leave class A which due to not being able to house offenders in overcrowded prisons for lengthy periods of time will slowly be accepted into the position some class B and C drugs currently occupy in the social scene.

The brain washing is already under way. They are trying to con the public into believing that legalising cannabis will eradicate all the anti-social problems and save the country loads of money. All it will do is put loads of dosh in rich people's pockets and the lower priced unregulated drug market will still flourish along with all the problems the new policy is supposed to cure.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more mate, if we think mental health is a problem now wait a few years after class C and some B is legalised and CABOOM !!!!!

By then though we'll have a new block of politicos in power and the Rich will be safe behind their gated complexes.