Ground bait

sagalout

Reaction score
Does ground bait without bits in it feed the fish or just provide an attractive carpet on the bottom?

If it does feed the fish, how do you create an attraction with the minimum of feed?

john step

Reaction score
I know some carpers fill a PVA bag with pva friendly liquid flavour in winter.

mick b

Reaction score
To me the ideal groundbait as an attractant and not a feed.

In NZ I have used a tin condensed milk to attract huge eels.

Blood, bran and fish oil makes a good chum for Sharks, attracts them but doesn't feed them.

Thus bread and water, liquidised into a cream would be better than crumb, if (and its a messy IF) you could get it to the bottom of the swim easily.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Cut up a bit of sponge to fit a small feeder, dunk the sponge in a liquid flavour, only your hook bait will available as 'food'.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I think i am right in saying that all ground baits, as we know them feed the fish, it's the amount of food content that they have in them that varies.
Oil or liquid attractants add attractants but with little or no food content.

Probably, the best way round this that i can think of would be to use a ground bait with an attractant such as a liquid enhancer but to then restrict the amount you put in to attract bites, you can always introduce more if you start to get a lot of bites, or Stop putting the ground bait in if the bites are slow to come by.

Plugging the inside of a gripper lead with paste also works well apparently.

Carp and Bream can probably eat a lot of ground bait without getting put off feeding, mind you, it would depend on the weather and water temperatures etc etc

mick b

Reaction score
That is interesting Steph, I always thought if you get bites you should stop feeding and keep feeding until you do :confused:

With all this water Im going for the 'fill it in' method :eek:mg:

And as an 'attractant or additive' :D.....I use sweet b all :D

One thing I have perfected this winter is the concrete groundbait ball, I can now get my bait on the bottom better than ever, trouble is only the Gudgeon seem to find it :eek:

C

chefster

That is interesting Steph, I always thought if you get bites you should stop feeding and keep feeding until you do :confused:

With all this water Im going for the 'fill it in' method :eek:mg:

And as an 'attractant or additive' :D.....I use sweet b all :D

One thing I have perfected this winter is the concrete groundbait ball, I can now get my bait on the bottom better than ever, trouble is only the Gudgeon seem to find it :eek:

I disagree with all of those statements,for cold weather fishing...Always keep feeding to keep the fish there...Little and often....any additive or oil is good in cold weather....you want to keep small amounts trickling through the water,as it encourages fish to be curious,maybe put a few balls on a line and leave it for skimmers/bream later in match though...Chef

mick b

Reaction score
I disagree with all of those statements,for cold weather fishing...Always keep feeding to keep the fish there...Little and often....any additive or oil is good in cold weather....you want to keep small amounts trickling through the water,as it encourages fish to be curious,maybe put a few balls on a line and leave it for skimmers/bream later in match though...Chef

BUT oil floats does it not?
What additive and/or oil are you referring to??

AND at cold temperatures oil becomes thicker and doesn't flow to well..:confused:

Come in Peter Jacobs your professional expertise is required here?

:confused::confused::confused:

nicepix

Reaction score

And I disagree with your disagreement :D

If you are fishing a heavily stocked commercial then I is possible that the fish need or rely on angler's baits to survive. However, if you fish waters with a a lower stock density feeding anything can be enough to over feed them. Hence the suggestions about flavoured sponge in feeders and liquid attractants.

C

chefster

And I disagree with your disagreement :D

If you are fishing a heavily stocked commercial then I is possible that the fish need or rely on angler's baits to survive. However, if you fish waters with a a lower stock density feeding anything can be enough to over feed them. Hence the suggestions about flavoured sponge in feeders and liquid attractants.

I,m only speaking from my own experiences.On certain venues i fish i would,nt feed anything either,but i never stated a venue/situation anyway....

mick b

Reaction score
I,m only speaking from my own experiences.On certain venues i fish i would,nt feed anything either,but i never stated a venue/situation anyway....

Dont worry Chef, they are all a bit mixed-up on the other side of the Channel.
Just look at their President and all his lady problems, turning away his lovely First Lady for an........actress :eek:mg: ...it will all end in tears mark my words.

Groundbait...oh yes chuck it in and get fishing, and keep chucking it in until you catch, THEN either stop feeding OR feed a little and often OR feed a darn sight more than you started with......Im totally confused now...help!!

Last edited:
C

chefster

AND at cold temperatures oil becomes thicker and doesn't flow to well..:confused:

Sorry Mick ,i should have stated liquid additives etc as opposed to oils,i use mainline Cell and Activate,murukyu SFA liquid krill,Korda Goo etc,Gaz

nicepix

Reaction score
Groundbait...oh yes chuck it in and get fishing, and keep chucking it in until you catch, THEN either stop feeding OR feed a little and often OR feed a darn sight more than you started with......Im totally confused now...help!!

Just take up fly-fishing ;)

robtherake

Reaction score
I read an article comparing the effects of various flavours on tanked coarse fish. As you'd expect, different species had their own particular favourites, but they all got cheesed off pretty quickly and lost interest when it became obvious there was no actual food in the vicinity.

So reading between the lines, flavouring alone might buy you a bite, but without anything of real food value to back it up they're unlikely to stay long.

How this translates in real terms is anyones guess. In a "fish soup" commercial water, there is probably enough competition for the disgruntled fish to be replaced in the swim on a regular basis.

Of course, if you're just looking to buy that one bite in cold conditions, over-flavoured baits have a great track record. But to keep the interest of a shoal for any length of time would seem to require food items of a sort, however small or finely divided.

slaphead

Reaction score
At least then you won't have to worry about ground bait. :D

Why not take up brain surgery instead. :eek:mg:

C

chefster

I read an article comparing the effects of various flavours on tanked coarse fish. As you'd expect, different species had their own particular favourites, but they all got cheesed off pretty quickly and lost interest when it became obvious there was no actual food in the vicinity.

So reading between the lines, flavouring alone might buy you a bite, but without anything of real food value to back it up they're unlikely to stay long.

How this translates in real terms is anyones guess. In a "fish soup" commercial water, there is probably enough competition for the disgruntled fish to be replaced in the swim on a regular basis.

Of course, if you're just looking to buy that one bite in cold conditions, over-flavoured baits have a great track record. But to keep the interest of a shoal for any length of time would seem to require food items of a sort, however small or finely divided.

Thats why i said you must feed little and often,so there is always something falling through the water ,even if it,s only a kinder pot ,with a few micros,a little bit of ground expander or a few maggots... There are times when just fishing a single bait works,but these are basically when you are fishing for one or two fish to win the match.....Again my thoughts are only based on the waters i fish-which some like to refer to as fish soup-cos they,ve probably heard some one else call it that;)

robtherake

Reaction score
Thats why i said you must feed little and often,so there is always something falling through the water ,even if it,s only a kinder pot ,with a few micros,a little bit of ground expander or a few maggots... There are times when just fishing a single bait works,but these are basically when you are fishing for one or two fish to win the match.....Again my thoughts are only based on the waters i fish-which some like to refer to as fish soup-cos they,ve probably heard some one else call it that;)

You're right Chef, and I certainly didn't mean any disrespect by it. If it were as easy as some make out, then why do the same guys frame and win, week after week? Because they're the best students of fish and their feeding behaviour.

C

chefster

You're right Chef, and I certainly didn't mean any disrespect by it. If it were as easy as some make out, then why do the same guys frame and win, week after week? Because they're the best students of fish and their feeding behaviour.

I,m not offended mate,some of the venue,s i fish are solid,but on certain days,you could be fooled into thinking theres not a fish in there!!!,commercials are not as easy as everyone thinks...ok there not as hard as a 100 acre res with 20 carp in,but they still hold challenges of their own,Gaz

cg74

Reaction score

You just need add an emulsifier, such as; alcohol, glycerol (glycerine), pectin and glycerite.

Then oils can freely disperse in water.