Backing up to the cloud

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Best way to keep your photos safe is to print them but a free ubuntu one cloud is a good alternative.

For free you get 5gig but the client https://one.ubuntu.com/downloads/windows/ has the handy feature that it can sync your photo library with the cloud but also limit the bandwidth so that your backup doesn't interfere with other members of the family.

i found it useful but I also backup using other methods too.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Flippin eck Benny that's scrambled my brain, its ok for you as you know what your doing, I have to put mine on disc :)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Do you find it better than photobucket Benny?

I have never used photobucket all my photos are old snaps scanned in or photos taken with my phone , I'm not a serious photographer, I don't even know if 5g is enough storage for most people , my various photos and videos total 2.5g.

It could well be that photobucket is a much better fit :) IT is one of those things where there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

My method is to sync my iphone when its at home , over wifi using itunes control panel , ubuntu those to the cloud and to my ipad and also to a memory card in my server - the PC under the telly :) like Mr Blanker though I also have copies on disc stored on my off site bunker ( locker at work ).

We lost a lot of photos a few years ago so I get super paranoid about the ones I have left , also with hard drives failing etc there is still nothing that beats a printed photo.

Gmail now offer a service where they will email your password to 3 nominated people if you do nit access your account for 3 months.

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

Flippin eck Benny that's scrambled my brain, its ok for you as you know what your doing, I have to put mine on disc :)

Do you print many out ? Virgin supposedly give you 5 free a month but I have never bothered yet.

richiekelly

Reaction score
I have never used photobucket all my photos are old snaps scanned in or photos taken with my phone , I'm not a serious photographer, I don't even know if 5g is enough storage for most people , my various photos and videos total 2.5g.

It could well be that photobucket is a much better fit :) IT is one of those things where there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

My method is to sync my iphone when its at home , over wifi using itunes control panel , ubuntu those to the cloud and to my ipad and also to a memory card in my server - the PC under the telly :) like Mr Blanker though I also have copies on disc stored on my off site bunker ( locker at work ).

We lost a lot of photos a few years ago so I get super paranoid about the ones I have left , also with hard drives failing etc there is still nothing that beats a printed photo.

Gmail now offer a service where they will email your password to 3 nominated people if you do nit access your account for 3 months.

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

Do you print many out ? Virgin supposedly give you 5 free a month but I have never bothered yet.

No don't print any just find it better to keep them on disk, mind most nowadays are of my grandson racing motocross so I send them to his dad

sumtime

Reaction score
I've been trying for quite a while now to set up an account with it to no avail, when I click on Set up account, nothing happens, I've tried many code letters but....I give up and will stick with Photobucket. :(

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I've been trying for quite a while now to set up an account with it to no avail, when I click on Set up account, nothing happens, I've tried many code letters but....I give up and will stick with Photobucket. :(

Do you mean the captcha codes ? I usually get someone else to read them or swap them till there is a readable one. The alternative is to use another cloud Google drive now gives you an all that let's you treat your cloud like another disc, almost.

I am definitely going to have a look at photo bucket though !