Another excellent GM Guardian piece

richiekelly

Reaction score
Thanks for that Geoff, a good read, its a shame or should that be shameful that those responsible for the well being of our seas and inland waters have absolutely no idea of what is going on beneath the surface, do they really care?

richiekelly

Reaction score
And it don't matter who you vote for either - they are all as bad as each other...

No change there Geoff, all self serving grabbers appeasing whoever they think will bring the best publicity and most votes, strange how the reduction in numbers of marine conservation areas is something that seems to have been kept very quiet.

Keith Speer

Reaction score
A very interesting article, yet the figures quoted only refer to sea angling!!

If you add coarse and game, the affect on UK GDP must increase by a fair lump, especially if you include the multipliers and dependent industries?

It amazes me that, given these estimates, how little support we get from UK government and in particular from the environment agency.

While I would not like to see our sport go the way it has in the USA, I would like to see a similar amount of support to that which the US government gives to angling and its dependent industries.

Our problem is that angling has a "cloth cap" image, a line with a worm at one end and a fool at the other.

We need to change that image and we need to change it now!!!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Totally agree, we need more journalists like him!

Hmm. He's a plonker when it comes to understanding canoes v angling though. A popularist writer who's figures need checking now and then. These last two pieces have been good though.