How did you get on then?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Despite the blustery wind and constant rain I6 of us fished a silvers only match at Lakeside.
I managed 3rd in section with 1lb 2oz. Several wrecked brollies and a few broken poles. I admit it was a bit of a grueller. Winning weight was 7lb.

Not expecting a lot of replies but if you did brave it. How did you get on?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Trotted the river today for a few hours, 10-2, not a vintage session but managed five chub and two roach on flake. Dry and not too breezy.

C

chefster

Despite the blustery wind and constant rain I6 of us fished a silvers only match at Lakeside.
I managed 3rd in section with 1lb 2oz. Several wrecked brollies and a few broken poles. I admit it was a bit of a grueller. Winning weight was 7lb.

Fished at TBF on saturday on High Pool-blowing a hoolie ,,Fished pole at 11.5m,up far shelf ,with pellet for 45 F1,s,caught a few silvers short on maggot as well for 36-0-0,never fished yesterday due to family time,but out on weds and thurs this week,I dont bother with a big brolly,just use a bait brolly,and waterproof suit,cheers Gaz

denzinho

Reaction score
My local River is so fast I wanted to get back in the car and go home. I walked up and down the River and found a slack. I managed 1 minnow, 2 Gudgeon and an epic fight with a roughly 3lb brownie which had me going for around 4 minutes. In all good day I think :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I last fished on Saturday as it was a reasonable day, but despite every effort I just couldn't get past the smallish carp to find the decent roach. Even the smallest smidge of flake, punched bread or casters only managed to find the carp....
All good fun on light tackle though......and it was good to be out!

Regards the weather; I try to avoid wet, windy days as we all do, so to make sure I don't miss an opportunity I make every effort to get the latest general/local reports. However, taking yesterday as an example we had (on the 11.20pm BBC forecast the night before) loads of showers/heavy rain racing across the south driven by wind. On this basis I decided to give it a miss...
Fast forward to yesterday morning and after a cool start the sun came out and not a single shower in sight until well into the afternoon! Not even a black cloud...

Come last night when the weather came on, and they decide to show what actually happened with the weather for the day.The promised rain/showers had passed along the coastal counties and not inland.
Yes, I know it's difficult to predict exactly where the wind will drive the rain, but when trying to plan a half day's fishing and avoid having to dry the gear out afterward, not to mention the gallon of fuel spent on the journey, it all becomes a bit tedious..

The forecast for today predicts the same weather pattern, so here I sit, trying to decide on a 'go for it and to hell with the consequences' or to varnish a few floats.............

Trouble is, one gets restless, although I suppose I can always go walking in the mud, rain and wind......some alternative eh!!

mick b

Reaction score
Hopeless!
My start was delayed because the drive to the parking area was under 18" of floodwater when it was dry on Friday :eek: then had to clear a load of wood and branches from the only safe and dry place to park.

Fished a few hours while standing in 6" of water and had a half decent Pike early on, tried a few trots with bread, only had a Chublet but a good double followed it right to my feet, back to piking gear and nothing.:confused:

Oh and it rained a good bit!

Should have stayed at home, hardly worth the effort.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Not a single drop of rain all morning...........in fact it's now 3pm and the sun is shining with blue skies!
How can they get it so wrong??

theartist

Reaction score
Had nice day roaming on the Gade monday - 8 Roach 8 Dace and 9 Chub nothing over 2lb but must have had 12lb of fish.

Not looking forward to that cold wind coming brrrr

mick b

Reaction score
And this is the weather forecast....according to the BBC at 17.00 today.

Wednesday occasional rain and wind turning Easterly :eek:mg:

Thursday could be good, cold start, dry and bright(ish).

Perhaps time for a longer look at the lake or maybe raid the Gade :D

theartist

Reaction score
And this is the weather forecast....according to the BBC at 17.00 today.

Wednesday occasional rain and wind turning Easterly :eek:mg:

Thursday could be good, cold start, dry and bright(ish).

Perhaps time for a longer look at the lake or maybe raid the Gade :D

Go for it mate but take a brolly

Oh and with this last bit of rain some of the deeper runs are almost 3 feet deep now! :D

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yep, also every bit of 3' here in some of the holes when wading......:D

frw2_zps903fb8bc.jpg

mick b

Reaction score
Go for it mate but take a brolly

Oh and with this last bit of rain some of the deeper runs are almost 3 feet deep now! :D

Took your advice and tried a tiny (under normal circumstances) stream I have had my eye on for ages.
To be on the safe side I called the landowner for permission and he and said it wasn't a problem for him.
Best section was 5' deep but zero bankside cover, hardly suprising as it was under 2' of water, stood well back and fed some mash, waited 15mins and first trot down a beautiful 1-13.5 Roach :eek:
Over three hours I managed six bites, all from Roach, hooked five, all netters and two more were over a pound, 1-2.5 and 1-4, fishing magic!

Will I be returning, you bet! :D

And it never rained!!!!!

tonybull

Reaction score

A guy I fish in team with Won it, Allan B :)

You on any of the other southern matches coming up ?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cold and wet here in the southeast rivers are all up another showery day today heavy rain tomorrow remaining cold but wind turning back to south west a dry day Sunday with temperature on the rise 9c. something to look forward too.

sampras43

Reaction score
Had a walk around the Colne yesterday in the pouring rain. Next few days look like a bit of a washout so may try Mon for some chub.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Had a quick couple of hours this morning. It was a fair bit more windy than I'd have liked. However, looking at the forecast and at the river levels, I knew that the river was as low as it's been all week and I had a short window before it was due to chuck it down.

First baited trot resulted in a turbo nutter hooligan that lead me a merry dance for quite some time on light gear in a river that was still pushing through.
408675812.jpg

I thought for a moment that it was a very familiar resident that I've caught several times before. However, when it pushed the scales round to 2lb 8oz, I had my doubts (on checking the photos, it's a different fish). I ended up with five grayling, three brownies (not one less than a pound) and a token minnow.

However, the fishing was, to some extent, quite incidental. Nature did a fine job of putting on a show. On the walk to my peg I saw an egret, the first I've seen round here outside the warmer months. As I was rigging up I got the hints of some movement on the opposite bank. I'd given it up as either deer or pheasant when I got a perfect sighting of an otter. It mooched about in full view for a minute or two before slipping into the water and porpoising it's way upstream and out of sight. Next up was a goosander, though they are a regular sight. One of the local buzzards decided to have a brief low level mooch along the tree line opposite. Finally, a small flock of long tailed tits decided to chatter away in the trees behind me, occasionally getting brave and raiding my open spare bait box.

Last edited:

jimlad

Reaction score
Brilliant session an result! Other than a 4lb chub last weekend, I've been struggling of late

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbelboi

Reaction score
Over the last couple of weeks I've only been taking chub to around the three and a half pound mark and a few roach trotting (the roach weren't much bigger either;))

sam vimes

Reaction score
Brilliant session an result! Other than a 4lb chub last weekend, I've been struggling of late

Over the last couple of weeks I've only been taking chub to around the three and a half pound mark and a few roach trotting (the roach weren't much bigger either;))

I'd swap a trout or two, or three, for a chub, dace or roach without a second thought.