IMPORTANT ? KHV VIRUS OUTBREAK

Jay Folly

Reaction score
Had a Koi Herpes Virus (KHV) alert passed on to me today.

below is the message.
PLEASE REMEMBER, BE ALERT!

1. IMPORTANT – VIRUS OUTBREAK

There has been a confirmed outbreak of the Koi Herpes Virus (KHV) at the Fisheries Complex in the Colne Valley within the last couple weeks. CEFAS have identified this virus and are due to announce their response plan shortly.

KHV is one of the most deadly fish diseases out there, and can have a devastating effect on a fishery. It affects carp stocks exclusively, is highly infectious, and there is no known cure.

As you will be aware, our Troy Lake venue in Denham is very close to the Fisheries complex. Furthermore, we have many anglers within our club who also fish other Colne Valley waters. Please be aware that it is VERY easy to spread this disease, and the results can be catastrophic.

Please ensure that all nets, keepnets, mats, slings, sacks etc are THOROUGHLY dried out before they are brought onto any of our fisheries. Ideally, we’d like you to change all tackle for safety’s sake. It’s thought that the virus might even survive in damp braided hooklinks or mainline, so please take extra care that everything is thoroughly dried.

For more information on KHV, you can check the following link: http://www.fisheries.co.uk/news/news/khv.htm

As always, you are our eyes and ears on the fisheries. If you see any signs of fish in distress, or if you have any concerns, please contact either Barry Killinger or myself, or get in touch with the relevant fishery manager. All telephone numbers are in your club booklets.

Lets be carefull out there!

www.talltreesfishery.com

F

Frothey

Too many decent, historic waters around there, hope they get it sorted

Please ensure that all nets, keepnets, mats, slings, sacks etc are THOROUGHLY dried out before they are brought onto any of our fisheries. Ideally, we’d like you to change all tackle for safety’s sake. It’s thought that the virus might even survive in damp braided hooklinks or mainline, so please take extra care that everything is thoroughly dried.

if it can be transmitted that easily, theres no hope - what about all the wildlife that moves from lake to lake?

Reaction score
Please don't say Savay is infected. Lovely place or was and I have some great memories fishing it as a kid.

W

Wolfman Woody

"what about all the wildlife that moves from lake to lake?"

They'll be ok providing they dry their feet.

On a serious note, there's too many waters down the Colne Valley and it's easy forthe virus to spread from one to the other despite anglers' care.

Hope it is nailed quickly.

F

Frothey

thats my point Jeff - just stop people fishing the area 'til the outbreaks stopped. no point putting additional stress on the fish.

they are all just too close
ColneValley.jpg

A few lakes in the area.....

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Got my letter yesterday morning regarding the lakes i fish in the valley. Lets hope all will be ok.

wayne bradford

Reaction score
I have never fished any od them but still very bad news lets hope everyone listens and does there bit to help get it sorted

good luck guys

R

Roto Fryer

if its in the fisheries its going to spread for sure. had an outbreak down there about 8/9 years ago. a lot of very nice fish were lost throughout the valley.

Jay Folly

Reaction score
LATEST CONFIRMED (DEFRA) KHV SITES UPDATED 3 OCT 2008

The Old Mill Fishery, Stoford, Yeovil, Somerset;

Pine Lake Fisheries, Oak Field Farm, Kirton Lane, Thorne, Doncaster, South Yorkshire;

Wassell Grove Fisheries, Wassell Grove Lane, Hagley, Worcestershire.

Moor Hall Pools (Old Lake and New Lake), Moor Hall Farm, Ninfield, Nr Battle, East Sussex.

Broad Colney Lakes, London Colney, Hertfordshire;

Whiteacres Fishery, Whiteacres Holiday Park, Newquay, Cornwall.

Ruth Lockwood 2

Reaction score
In addition to the recent launch of regional workshops catering for anglers, ECHO has also embarked on a tour of the local consultative network.

A few weeks ago, ECHO gave a presentation to the Loddon Valley consultative at Dinton Pastures nr Reading by invitation from the EA.

On Thursday, ECHO delivered a similar presentation to the fisheries of the Colne Valley at Angling Projects nr Wraysbury at the request of the CVAC secretary.

At both meetings ECHO met fishery owners/managers who have 1st hand experience of living with KHV. Whether infected or affected, both meetings offered ECHO an opportunity to receive valuable feeback, distribute accurate information and develop a greater awareness amongst local fisheries. Much of the discussion centred around the important risk management decisions for the life after KHV. ECHO teamed up with the EA to offer guidance on concerns surrounding recent outbreaks and to promote proactive bio security measures by all fisheries.

As with the first meeting, new communications have opened up a whole new set of doors for ECHO.........I hope together we can walk through a few more.

Any ideas for developing regional support truly welcome.

Please contact me echocarp@hotmail.com

Or visit www.echocarp.co.uk In Unity Lies Strength

Carpmark

Reaction score
There is no evidence to support that KHV is spread via any kind of tackle such as nets slings mats and braid.

If you research the EA they have done studies into this and there findings shown that there is as much chance passing it on from washing your hands in the lake water then putting your hands in another lake after you have bathed at home.

Its good to be kept up to date on KHV issues but scare mongering people into changing tackle is stupendous on every level.

If KHV was so easily spread every fishery in the land would have it.

The sole reason for KHV is infected fish being introduced either as stock or as deadbaits for predators. Carp are not the only carriers of this disease.