bob north

Reaction score
Hello everybody, nice of you too take me on board.

My names Bob North, but most folks call me Northie (goes' back to my school-days)

I'm 68 years old and started fishing when I was 10, so its been awhile.

River fishing is my passion. And my river is the Thames. I have never tired of fishing this river, and still, after all these years it draws me like a pin to a magnet

Well. . . that's my little introduction, keep well all and tight lines.

Regards Bob.

bob north

Reaction score
barbelboi

Hello Jerry,

Spend a fair bit time on the reaches between Pangborne and Wallingford.

The river is very deep here with 17 feet the norm and deeper in many place's,

and with it's slow flow (but not at this moment in time) makes it ideal for
ledgering and slider work.

First fished these reaches in the late 50's with my dad. He was just like Mr Crabtree in so much as his pipe was perment fixture of his mouth. Bless him.

Regards Bob.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Hi Bob, haven't fished Pangbourne for ages (used to be a regular venue with our LAA matches in the 60's) I'm more familiar with the Marlow/Cookham/Windsor bits. I tend to spend more time on the tribs these days.
Jerry

bob north

Reaction score
Hi Bob, haven't fished Pangbourne for ages (used to be a regular venue with our LAA matches in the 60's) I'm more familiar with the Marlow/Cookham/Windsor bits. I tend to spend more time on the tribs these days.
Jerry

Hello again Jerry,
Know Marlow like the back of my hand, it's what you might call my home water as it's not far from where i live. I earned my spurs at catching the barbel there on the reach known as the Marlow Race or the Point as us anglers called it.Seldom fish it these days though.

Fish the Civil Service waters at Windsor&Datchet both of which can be good.Each have a weir i.e. Bovney & Old Windsor which are good for carp (big one's too). They also have a nice stretch of the Kennet at Hambridge. I found the barbel easy to catch here, don't know about now though, not fished it in a while.

Keep well Jerry

Bob

barbelboi

Reaction score
Bob, I knew Marlow weir like the back of my hand (although we had to re-learn it quite regularly;)) -we used to 'live' there in the 70's until they took it off the permit around '79/'80.

bob north

Reaction score
Jerry,
I held a weir permit for some years, good value they were then.

Fished Benson quite a bit, excellent fishing. Saw a angler there one day fall out of a small dingy moored in the fast water, he was swept away like a piece of flotsam. He did manage to get to the bank farther down and save his own life, but it was a near thing, a very lucky man.