cane rod anyone

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

Simples.

Because it is a Barder and there is a waiting list of between 18 months and 3 years for one, and that is with the price new of around £2,400

So, at £1,450 it is a "snip"

I saw a Barder Merlin similar to mine in an auction in London estimated to sell at £1,100 . . . . . . . .

Here is another Barder, this time the "Merlin" designed by Chris Yates and the starting price is only £925 so I think it will go for something like £1,200 or maybe even more.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Chris...tingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item20de7861d6

There are so few Barder rods around Pau lthat they are very popular whenever one comes up in auction.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Simples.

Because it is a Barder and there is a waiting list of between 18 months and 3 years for one, and that is with the price new of around £2,400

So, at £1,450 it is a "snip"

I saw a Barder Merlin similar to mine in an auction in London estimated to sell at £1,100 . . . . . . . .

Here is another Barder, this time the "Merlin" designed by Chris Yates and the starting price is only £925 so I think it will go for something like £1,200 or maybe even more.

The Chris Yates "Merlin" made by Edward Barder | eBay

There are so few Barder rods around Pau lthat they are very popular whenever one comes up in auction.

seroiusly Peter - how does this out perform a rod costing £500?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

It doesn't have to out perform a rod costing £500; it is a thing of beauty to the beholder, something je/she wants to own and use.

To be honest I think my Carbotecs are actually better rods than my Merlin but that isn't the point, the point is the joy and fun that Barder owners get from using one.

Pretty much along the same lines as an E Type Jaguar at around £80k not out performing a modern XF Jaguar at below £50k

sam vimes

Reaction score

It probably doesn't, but that's hardly the point. I wouldn't pay for it, but can understand why others might. A hand carved wooden table is unlikely to outperform a cheap nasty one from Ikea. A pristine E-Type Jaguar is unlikely to outperform a modern sporty hot hatch. There are plenty more similar examples.

The cost of a Bader rod has more to do with it being hand built by a craftsman and in short supply rather than pure performance. Such is the way of the world.

nicepix

Reaction score
It doesn't have to out perform a rod costing £500; it is a thing of beauty to the beholder, something je/she wants to own and use.

To be honest I think my Carbotecs are actually better rods than my Merlin but that isn't the point, the point is the joy and fun that Barder owners get from using one.

Pretty much along the same lines as an E Type Jaguar at around £80k not out performing a modern XF Jaguar at below £50k

I agree. Supply and demand and fashion also have an impact on the price. Paintings by certain artists can rise and fall hundreds of thousands of £££'s just on the whim of fashion and there are books that no one would ever read changing hands at exorbitant sums just because of their rarity value.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Personally I want to use the best rod I can for the task so if that means using a cheaper rod that's what I'd use rather than a more expensive rod that will not perform as well regardless of the hand build, joy of the rod

bob north

Reaction score
Edward Barder is a man with the highest skill imaginable when it comes to making cane rods.

He is also a first class business man and he knows his customer's weakness's.
i.e. wealth and vanity!

Good luck to you Edward it's what business is all about.

mick b

Reaction score
My mate had a white E type and it was far better at 'pulling' than my Copper S...:confused:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not a fan of E types – owned a ’66 4.2 fixed head coupe from ’69 until the petrol problems of the early 70’s and didn’t like it. OK, they look good but drive like pig - good in a straight line – but lousy brakes and road holding – lethal in the wet – a manual choke that had a mind of it’s own, the same as the carbs that went out of balance every other week – plus you had more cockpit space in a MGB with all the space taken up with the transmission tunnel. Exchanged it for a Lotus Elan – what a difference, almost as fast in a straight line but it’s road handling manners were impeccable. Surely the only people who rave about E’s are ones that have never owned one.....;)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I wonder what the ratio is between UK and overseas buyers for EB rods...

For me it's the 'feel' of such beautiful pieces of craftsmanship. No different to when I take out an old Aerial reel and fix it to my modern rods...it just 'feels' right in the hand, it has weight, curves, call it what you will, but it gives a sense of unrivalled pleasure to the beholder. It never ceases to 'turn me on' if that's the right expression....

I know some friends/family who look at me that 'what's he on about' expression when I prattle on about such things. It matters little whether it's a wrist watch, suit, overcoat or even a pair of shoes, the feeling is the same.... A real craftsman has created a thing of beauty and given me the opportunity to enjoy it at leisure...

It's about sight, feel and the brain and I love the fact I have those senses in spades...

Many evenings when I will sit reading or even watching TV I will have a float, of my or someone else's, creation in my hand and it gives that same pleasure, of appreciating another's skill to create.

Is it possible that anyone can look at the famous Russian 'Eggs' (by Faberge) for example and not wonder at the workmanship or even the stark beauty of an old bridge spanning a river - all under the same banner in my mind.............................

robtherake

Reaction score
I'm a member of the TFF forum and, although I don't post on there a lot, what comes over in spades is the unbridled passion of those guys for the aesthetics of the vintage gear that they covet.
In the end, it's all down to what floats one's boat. Pursuit of a Barder rod, for example, equals the zeal which drives a dyed-in-the-wool hardcore carper to drool over hand-built and personalised Harrison rods and £700 magnesium bodied baitrunners. There's every likelihood that catches won't be improved, but by golly, aren't they lovely!

There are very few of us, I'd warrant, who are immune to the allure of top flight products designed to be the best of their ilk. Whether or not we can afford those items or, alternatively, have our noses pressed against the sweetie shop window, is simply a matter of cash flow.

We might fool ourselves into believing that these things - offering an extra couple of percent extra performance over lesser tackle - will make us better anglers, or at the very least improve our chances in some way, but IMHO it's 99% about ownership once a certain performance level is attained.

nicepix

Reaction score
My mate had a white E type and it was far better at 'pulling' than my Copper S...:confused:

Well, what do you expect? One is at least three litres and the other less than one. You'd never get your caravan to Skeggy using a Mini :D

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cane rods are an anachronism and the only type I would even consider using would be a fly rod of max. length 7ft for dry fly brook fishing.

robtherake

Reaction score
Cane rods are an anachronism and the only type I would even consider using would be a fly rod of max. length 7ft for dry fly brook fishing.

True for most, but their aficionados are fascinated and delighted by them, and in the end it all comes down to personal preference.

mick b

Reaction score
Well, what do you expect? One is at least three litres and the other less than one :D

Fine mechanic you'd make, the Copper S was a 1275cc...:cool:

It was only the scotched up basic Cooper that was a 997cc.
Mind you my 997 would get wheelspin when changing from 2nd to 3rd but my 1275 wouldnt :confused:

My mates E type was a white open top with red leather interior, he/we only had to park it in the Kings Road and the dollies would come flocking.

Biggest problem was deflecting all the offers from the Osgoods at 'the bridge'.

(Those were the days.....being over 21 and single, mini skirts, the Pill, all night discos,etc etc....:D:D:D:D)
And not a fat Chav in sight, ALL the girls were slim, well dressed and ......sober!!

mick b

Reaction score
Unless you went to the Hammersmith Palais.............;)

Never went near the place......it had a disease there called 'marriage' and it was rampant!

It was a known fact that out of the 2,000+ who went dancing there each night between 2 and 4 of them would meet their future partners.:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

And who wanted that....Nooooooo..:cool:

(Never buy what you can get for free :wh )