New Angling Magazine Set For Launch In 2014

laguna

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Inevitably it will contain adverts but is this something you think would appeal to the masses?

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
According to DHP Coarse Fishing Answers (CFA) will be the first magazine of its kind and will focus entirely on answering questions posed by its readers priced £3.30.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]" [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Answers will employ the very best angling talent the country has to offer to deliver the solutions. From World Champion matchmen – including Alan Scotthorne and Bob Nudd – to award-winning big-fish hunters such as TV’s Mick Brown and Alan Stagg."[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
I can't see it being a success.
What's missing from angling publications is writers who can go beyond tips and tactics and convey the simple pleasures of a day out fishing.
If I want knowledge I come here or other places.

nicepix

Reaction score
I can't see it being a success either.

Anglers aren't going to want to wait three or four months to possibly get their questions answered when their are online forums and search engines. And, I might be a cynic, however it wouldn't be the first time that a magazine posted their own questions in order to be able to better control the content. It used to happen in the photographic publications.

The days of most authors writing to inspire their audience rather than flatter their own egos is long gone.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I will keep my eyes open for it see what it is like. Any idea on a release date.

richiekelly

Reaction score
A brave move but one doomed to failure I fear, the questions asked are likely to be basic and has been said there are so many other places where information can be got. I can see it having only a small market to aim at.

Although the experts answering the questions will no doubt know there stuff there will be things that cannot be learned from a magazine.

robtherake

Reaction score
Judging by the Q&A pages in the general coarse fishing monthlies, the questions will be at a rudimentary level, which will limit the magazine's appeal to that of novice anglers.

I rarely buy magazines now, but when I did, the letters pages went largely unread.

flightliner

Reaction score
Cant see it lasting long myself, but I suppose they have done enough market research to give them the will to move forward with it.
Its all on the net these days for anyone needing info so paying several pounds for it may not be the best of ideas.
yes, I'd like to see a mag that is made up from individuals contributing pieces relating to their own experiences by the waterside thats devoid of blatent advertising and young guns claiming some idea or other thats been out there for decades --much like teenagers thinking theyve invented sex, mags back in the eighties catered for such pieces and were genuinely both thought provoking and enthused anglers to get out there unlike todays where the read ends where you have the same effect as "Seen the video- got
the teashirt"..

One only has to read some of the efforts on FM to get the idea of how good a new mag could be providing the supply of anglers writing for it were of sufficiant numbers.

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
The general consensus is the same; printed mags have had their day (thanks to the Internet) but to be fair, DHP have embraced modern technology too with downloadable aps, online Tackle & Guns mag, Tackle Trade World, as well as printed versions provided free to the trade. Perhaps there is a market for this Q&A concept albeit perhaps a small one - maybe for newcomers more than old hands?

A run of 30,000 copies will be printed for the first three issues with the first issue going on sale on Wednesday, March 12th 2014.

C

chefster

Personally i think it is a good idea,if i wanted to ask a question ,i would welcome advice from a world champion etc..most people on here either dont want to learn or feel that they dont need to...Me i want to learn as much as i can,i allready know the pleasure i get from angling-dont need to be told that......Every time i go fishing ,i feel that i need to learn more,to get the most from it,and there are thousands more like me,and i wish the magazine every success,that is just my personal opinion,Chef

Judas Priest

Reaction score
With the majority on this can't see it being a success as the internet in one form or other answers most questions and is free.

What's missing these days are good writers. Too many just write dross to promote either a brand or themselves re hashing old stuff on a regular basis to a gullible market. You only have to look around tackle and bait company websites to see the "quality" of those who are "on the team"', and these are the same guys who are pushed by those same company's at the mags to accept as writers.

How many times do you see an article with huge pictures but little content in the weeklies and monthlies.

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Agree with that Chef... "most people on here either dont want to learn or feel that they dont need to" - its called complacency or resistance to change! :rolleyes:

C

chefster

With the majority on this can't see it being a success as the internet in one form or other answers most questions and is free.

What's missing these days are good writers. Too many just write dross to promote either a brand or themselves re hashing old stuff on a regular basis to a gullible market. You only have to look around tackle and bait company websites to see the "quality" of those who are "on the team"', and these are the same guys who are pushed by those same company's at the mags to accept as writers.

How many times do you see an article with huge pictures but little content in the weeklies and monthlies.

So what you,re saying is the likes of Alan Scotthorne,Bob Nudd,Steve Ringer,Des Shipp etc who write articles for match Fishing and Pole Fishing,are just writing dross to promote brands or themselves and i,m gullible because i read it and take the advice??? yeah ok :eek:mg::eek:mg:

richiekelly

Reaction score
So what you,re saying is the likes of Alan Scotthorne,Bob Nudd,Steve Ringer,Des Shipp etc who write articles for match Fishing and Pole Fishing,are just writing dross to promote brands or themselves and i,m gullible because i read it and take the advice??? yeah ok :eek:mg::eek:mg:

It may work for some match anglers chef because in my experience match anglers are more open about what they do and its pretty obvious where they fish as others fish the same matches, with anglers that are big fish orientated its different,

When I said earlier that some things cant be learned from a magazine it was the extra 5% that these guys seem to have as natural ability or another sense they seem to have, there is no doubt they are superb anglers but can only see them getting basic questions, still if it keeps more in the sport and helps anglers catch good luck to them as I think they will need it.

C

chefster

It may work for some match anglers chef because in my experience match anglers are more open about what they do and its pretty obvious where they fish as others fish the same matches, with anglers that are big fish orientated its different,

When I said earlier that some things cant be learned from a magazine it was the extra 5% that these guys seem to have as natural ability or another sense they seem to have, there is no doubt they are superb anglers but can only see them getting basic questions, still if it keeps more in the sport and helps anglers catch good luck to them as I think they will need it.

I totally agree with the fact that certain anglers have something that cannot be bottled,or bought,or read...but a lot of their technical knowledge can be passed on via questions and answers ,cheers Gaz

terry m

Reaction score
Good luck to the publishers, I feel that they will need it.

Sticking solely to a Q&A format is a brave move and whilst it may appeal to some, especially beginners, it will alienate many and therefore limit it's potential appeal.

Having said that I admit to being a little cynical about the monthlies in general.

robtherake

Reaction score
Agree with that Chef... "most people on here either dont want to learn or feel that they dont need to" - its called complacency or resistance to change! :rolleyes:

Not sure I agree. I get the impression that most people on here are always looking for that little wrinkle or edge to move their fishing on incrementally.

On a personal level, the evolution of tactics and strategies plays a reasonably large part. I hope I never reach that point where I become so hide-bound that the learning process stalls for want of enthusiasm or curiosity.

The very essence of angling - the thing that makes its allure so irresistible - is the constant change and unpredictability. New day, new challenge; even on waters and swims we think that we know inside and out. Its capacity for throwing up surprises is surely the core of its attraction.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
I do actually buy these mags but more out of hope than expectation.
There's a limit to how many times I need to be told how to dye pellets or hook maggots - and it's not every flipping week.
Buy an old Angling Times yearbook from the 60s
Anglers like Walker and Stone didn't just know how to catch fish - they knew how to write about it in a way that was both informative and entertaining.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Chefster
You are fully entitled to your opinion as is everyone else but.........

Quite a few of the Q&A so called experts in the press are mediocre anglers at best, granted that the likes of Scotherne are not in that category but an awful lot are. I know of at least half a dozen "experts" who only a couple of years ago were asking which hook, which line, even which rod rest, but are now spouting advice to all and sundry.

If you choose to throw your hard earned at mediocre writers that is your business and good luck to you, me I'll continue to ask advice when I need it and offer advice when asked through the web.

Spot on Nogoodboyo, innovative anglers and good writers

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
In the main yes Rob, there are some very knowledgeable and skilful anglers on here, the majority of FM members are generally older, wiser and more experienced than what you might find on other forums and they have caught fish since jack was a lad. that's not to say that nobody's too old to learn or that everyone here thinks they know it all but there's a clear aversion and cynicism when it comes to tackle touting, ideas, new methods and ways of catching fish when the old fashioned way has always worked for them. The efficiency of new gear and the modern way of thinking (along with all the regurgitation and poor expectation) is often a disappointment or step on the evolutionary ladder too quick too far sometimes, and I don't mean that in a disrespectful way either because as we each grow older; we naturally resist change and prefer instead to listen to our own inner thoughts and tend to call upon our own experiences (heard it all before) - those without the necessary experience are the customers of the future Imo be that tackle, bait, methods magazines or whatever?

tonybull

Reaction score

Read and watch what these guys can do, because there ain't many anglers outside the match circuit worth taking advice from :)