How did you get on?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
12 turned up for our club match today on the Aylesbury arm of the GUC. After looking at the venue 4 went elsewhere before the draw. 8 drew and another went home after a poor draw.
By midday another 3 went home. I caught swinger roach, 3 Rudd and 2skimmers. Bites didn't stop for the entire 6 hours. Switching between punch, double squatt and flouro pinkies fished tight to a far bank boat @11m.
Came 2nd with 5lb 15oz.
Winner had some bonus skimmers amongst the bits for 7 lb 3oz.

How did you get on?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Myself my son and my youngest grandson went lure fishing on my club lake the Bec . My self and my son had a few follows but no take but my grandson caught his first two pike on the lure. He uses a shimano Exage TEXMTS and a Sedona reel that I bought him for his birthday a couple of year ago. He was using ultra small plugs only a inch or so he is a very happy boy. We started fishing about seven am and packed up at eleven o'clock.

nicepix

Reaction score
It was a fine day today after a few days of heavy rain. I fished a peg on the river in the middle of one of our nearest towns where I'd had a lot of bites but no hook ups while quiver tipping last week. The river was slightly more coloured than last week but about the same level.

Managed some lovely roach using scaled down tackle, laying on at the edge of a weed bed. Bait was small pieces of worm on a 16 to 2lb hook length and groundbait was a mixture of milled hemp and softened chicken pellets. Best fish would have gone a demi-kilo and there was a good shoal of them. No barbeaux turned up so I didn't have to worry about getting smashed up.

lambert1

Reaction score
Nicepix, forgive my ignorance but by milled hemp are you talking about hemp flour rather than bog standard crushed hemp? :confused:

nicepix

Reaction score
Nicepix, forgive my ignorance but by milled hemp are you talking about hemp flour rather than bog standard crushed hemp? :confused:

Chenevis moulu - hemp seeds through a grinder. You can buy it grilled or dried. Decathalon have a sale at the end of July and I buy enough baits for the year at half price or less.

Chenevis moulu 700g CAPERLAN - Farine pêche Pêche - Decathlon
CHENEVIS MOULU GRILLE 0.7 KG CAPERLAN - Farine pêche Pêche - Decathlon

---------- Post added at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was at 21:14 ----------

Won 2-0;) - Also out on the river bank during the week....................

I'll bet Sam Vimes is still partying :D

lambert1

Reaction score
Thanks mate, much appreciated I will be helping myself to the chicken pellets when the girls are not looking!:wh

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'll bet Sam Vimes is still partying :D

Not quite, my black and white brother in law and nephew would get upset. The BIL has been gracious enough not to rub it in in the past, it would be rude not to return the favour. I have spent most of the weekend grinning though.:)

P

pointngo

had a day out bait fishing for pike on the river as the levels and colour made lure fishing pointless.. had a good day. Had a 24lb'er and a jack in the morning, then after moving swims had a 4.11lb chub on a whole mackerel!

after fishing a few swims I went back to my first swim for the last half hour of daylight and caught the same 24lb'er! Bit of a weird day tbh.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Did a five hour stint this morning on a still water for seven carp and a roach, the biggest going 4lbs or so ( not the roach!)

I finished some home made floats last night which I made to suit this particular water and the chosen one worked very well. Bait was pinches of flake on a 14 plus the usual light tackle and rod....
Lovely morning, fresh first thing, but just fine toward midday... Peace and quiet, a cup of decent tea and all was well with the world.....

Rugby wasn't too bad either..........................................

P

pointngo

Cheers mate. Hooked fairly and squarely in the mouth on the bottom treble.

Not sure what it was thinking tbh. It must have looked ridiculous underwater with a 10" mackerel sticking half out of it's mouth! The bait was as wide as its gob! :D

badgeroo

Reaction score
Fished the Birmingham and Worcester canal with my son for the first time in god knows how many years.Weather was fine until we set up then gale forced winds and rain set in:(:( lifted me hat off and was able to catch it in mid flight, then would you believe my bait waiter went airborne off the top of my seat box and landed mid way across the cut:doh:The whilst trying to retrieve the waiter I slipped over just missing a dog t***. Oh and we didn't catch a thing - the weather was appalling. Glad to get home ( I think I have caught a cold.) :eek:hno::eek:hno:

sampras43

Reaction score
Was out on the Colne for the very first time late last week after Cub and it was very hard going. River was so high and fast it washed a 2oz gripper along like it was nothing. I was using a quiver with cheese paste. Nothing until last cast and hooked into a small one..2lb. First chub as an adult as only got back into it this season after many years away.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
A change of plan today and we decided to have a roach session on one of our local gravel pits, after a slowish start netted a few to around this size - back on the river later in the week.
roachpit2_zps6f960415.jpg

john step

Reaction score
A change of plan today and we decided to have a roach session on one of our local gravel pits, after a slowish start netted a few to around this size - back on the river later in the week.
roachpit2_zps6f960415.jpg

what a lovely roach. Have to agree about picking venues to suit conditions.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Local pool, only three fishing, three skimmers and a small Roach, ( somewhat smaller than the one pictured :rolleyes:), tried maggot, worm and castor (plus some hemp) but only caught on bread. Fished the waggler.