Poles/Rods for Margins/Edge

magicone

Reaction score
Been watching various fishing programs over the last week or so on TV, Gurus and Absolute fishing etc..

Confused, one expert says not to use a pole as they spook the fish and then another says the opposite using pellets or corn on a float.

So which tends to offer the best results. :confused:

thanks

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A lot of anglers won't use a pole as much in winter as the water is a lot clearer.

A lot won't use it for very shallow margin fishing or the slopes of islands (1 to 2ft) as they feel it is too close to the fish.

I only use it in summer, when the water is "soupy" and since I don't feel confident fishing really shallow swims I find the pole very effective for the type of fishing I do which is deeper margin swims and straight out.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Everything depends on the water concerned. I fish a gravel pit which generally has quite clear water. You can catch pretty well with a waggler at a rod length or two, ideal pole territory. However, if you do put a pole over their heads, even in deep water, the fish disappear. As people rarely bother fishing the pole on this venue, they are never going to get used to it.

john step

Reaction score
The previous entries re clear water are spot on. However if there were a choice of a swim with HIGH out of danger branches sticking out over clear water of reasonable depth you can get away with a pole. I have found it seems to work as there is no contrast . Difficult to put into words but the same way that you can get away with being on the skyline if you put your umbrella behind you so you don't stand out.