Paste baits textured or smooth.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have used many paste baits over the years and as a rule I go for very soft and smooth pastes. But now and again when the bites have become fidgety I have found that by pressing the crushed ingredients into the paste so they are exposed that the fish hit it like their life depended on it. I first found this about 1970 when I was using a paste made with Datom pond pellets. I baited a swim for two weeks prior to the opening night and sat there waiting for the midnight start. After putting in a couple of tubs of pellet the tench were milling about with the odd carp it was a small swim and I used one rod. I nodded off and woke about 1 am put a nob of paste on and flicked it out free-line six pound platil strong a size six hook on my glass Avon Master holding the line between my finger and thumb I was getting pulls from the off but no really good pulls. After an hour of frustration and re-baiting many times I took some of the raw pellet in the palm of my hand and squeezed it onto the paste on the hook flicked it out and BANG a good solid take in the next hour I had nine tench but only got the good takes if the paste was textured plain paste just got knocked about. I have had the same experience with trout pellet paste and even with Gram flour flavoured with minced liver. In this instance I would squeeze crushed chick pea on the onto the paste. Has any one else experienced this with paste baits.

john step

Reaction score
Try rolling strawberry paste in hemp seeds for tench!!!

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Try rolling strawberry paste in hemp seeds for tench!!!

Do you know I have fished for tench from the age of Ten 1957 and I have never used fruit flavoured baits at all. I have friends that have and still do but not myself . I have used hemp in a big way over the years and have used it in conjunction with many pastes. I was once given a 500 ml bottle of the best quality Strawberry flavouring and gave it away unopened to John Rawle of sea angling fame when he was into carp fishing in the early eighties I am a little bit stuck in my ways I am afraid. I did well with Bury brand Black pudding last season with hemp and pearl barley soaked in a heavy solution of pigs blood for 48 hours as feed. I get the dried pigs blood from a sausage supplier at £2 per kilo food quality.

john step

Reaction score
Tinker, that's interesting. We are of similar age. As to sweet tastes for tench it certainly works for me. Your baiting regime sounds messy to my delicate stomach!:eek: I have always been cynical about manufacturers claim for this or that new" must have" flavour but I don't go for tench without something strawberry in my bag. Maybe just a confidence thing?
I have had success with paste made from using Van den Eyde strawbery pellets mixed with flaky pastry.They don't seem to market them any more so I am going to try with some strawberry pellets from Willies Worms ground down.
For casting that bit further than the margins I swear by Dynamite strawberry and ice cream 10mm bird seed range boilies. These seem to be out of production now but I managed to by a supply when Dragon bought up the stock.
After this summer my supply will be exhausted so I will try tuti fruity 10mm boilies. I am sure they will work...hopefully!
PS. Barbel like sweet things too.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tinker, that's interesting. We are of similar age. As to sweet tastes for tench it certainly works for me. Your baiting regime sounds messy to my delicate stomach!:eek: I have always been cynical about manufacturers claim for this or that new" must have" flavour but I don't go for tench without something strawberry in my bag. Maybe just a confidence thing?
I have had success with paste made from using Van den Eyde strawbery pellets mixed with flaky pastry.They don't seem to market them any more so I am going to try with some strawberry pellets from Willies Worms ground down.
For casting that bit further than the margins I swear by Dynamite strawberry and ice cream 10mm bird seed range boilies. These seem to be out of production now but I managed to by a supply when Dragon bought up the stock.
After this summer my supply will be exhausted so I will try tuti fruity 10mm boilies. I am sure they will work...hopefully!
PS. Barbel like sweet things too.
I picked up a new SESAS catalogue today and they are doing cubed strawberry pellets in 8 /10 mm and Strawberry Scopex hook pellets in 4/6 mm . I have always been a big fan of worms and mussels. Meat a real messy bait from the sixties was a pound of pork sausage meat a pound of minced liver a large tin of KIT-TE -KAT and crumb with a bottle of cochineal food colour we called it red peril. In the warmer weather it starts to go off after about 36 hours and gets a port wine smell to it the bream if that's what you like go potty on it. A couple of my match fishing friends used to climb up my back for it if there was a match on at the fishery. We fished it on a size four with a crust pad the size of a two bob and built the paste up on that for casting.

john step

Reaction score
In the fishy paste theme what does well is Chappie Origional dog food. Cheap as chips, pongs to high heaven and catches fish. AND it has that course grain texture with the bits of old bone and sinew. Nice.
I am going to look at the Sensas range. Thanks.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In the fishy paste theme what does well is Chappie Origional dog food. Cheap as chips, pongs to high heaven and catches fish. AND it has that course grain texture with the bits of old bone and sinew. Nice.
I am going to look at the Sensas range. Thanks.

A friend of mine used to use Campballs meat balls to good effect they semi dissolve and are readily sucked up.

john step

Reaction score
Tinker, Just ordered 2 pkts of strawberry cubits. I am looking forward to the spring start to tenching. Thanks for that.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tinker, Just ordered 2 pkts of strawberry cubits. I am looking forward to the spring start to tenching. Thanks for that.

Let me know how you do with them you never know I might just give them a try myself.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There is a article on this very subject in the Angling times today. Titled Crunchy paste will catch you more.

richiekelly

Reaction score
The angling times reckon everything will catch you more its the same every week (I don't but it by the way) got to fill it with something I suppose.