Food flasks

dead peg

Reaction score
Has anyone got one they can recommend ? something that will keep a pre-cooked pasta , rice or noodle meal hot for 5 hours ?
To me its as essential as your terminal tackle
What do you eat on the bank when fishing all day ?
I do ham & lentil soup in the cold weather (my version of pea-whack) but I need a food flask for when I'm out on longer sesssions , 10 hours + in the warmer weather
I'm fed up with the cold pasties , warm drinks & curly sarnies from the Texaco and cant have a full breaky before I go like I used to , wives/doctors orders :(

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have tried many different flasks over the years and finally settled on the Stanley Aladin range.

I use this one for keeping foods hot:

Stanley Classic Food Jar 0.7L

. . . and this one for my coffee:

Stanley 0 47lt Classic Vacuum Flask with Cup - Green

As I was impressed with the quality I also bought this one for, well, my JD to be honest:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/aladdin...lask-p103946?gclid=CNW-wMe4tLwCFUT3wgodv10A9A

The quality of their products is reflected in the price, but, quality is never cheap, and to buy a flask cheap is usually to buy it often . . . . . .

In the Winter I typically fill the food flask with Minestrone or Vegetable soup and add a couple of left over sausages from breakfast. Otherwise I will make extra strew the night before and then warm the leftovers for the flask.

I have yet to find theize for being the coldest, wettest or hungriest angler on the river bank, so I tihnk it is well worth putting a lot of thought into what "bait" your body will need for a cold day's fishing.

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a Thermos stainless wide neck food flask with its own metal spoon in the lid that keeps food nice and hot or dead baits frozen. I also have a Aladdin food flask Plastic which has a spilt compartment removable so you have a choice of single or two separate compartments. It is microwaveable with the lid off so you can heat the food in the flask and top shelf dishwasher safe it is a squat barrel shape. It holds 710 ml - 24 fluid oz. I have found both very useful.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I take a small Camping Gaz style stove and mix a whole tin of Marksies Chilli with a small tin of Heinz Baked Beans. It takes around 4 minutes to heat through and then eat it out of the pan. That way you are always guaranteed a hot meal!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I take a small Camping Gaz style stove and mix a whole tin of Marksies Chilli with a small tin of Heinz Baked Beans. It takes around 4 minutes to heat through and then eat it out of the pan. That way you are always guaranteed a hot meal!

On the few venues that I fish where "naked flames" are allowed then I use my Kelly Kettle for most things.

Sadly though too many venues in my area now have a "no naked flame" rule.

More's the pity, hence the need for decent flasks.

nicepix

Reaction score
You can improve a flask's performance if you insulate it. For the one I use to stew hemp and wheat I made a base and jacket out of closed cell foam that wrapped around it. Just wrapping your flask in a fleece jumper or beanie hat will result in your food keeping warm for longer. Another alternative is to use the insulated jackets that fit over wine bottles to keep the Chablis cool for your picnic.

If I'm out for the day though I use a Kelly Kettle to make a mid-day brew and heat up some food.

flightliner

Reaction score
If you can still find one buy an "Arcosteel" I bought mine some twenty five years ago and its one that keeps drinks and hot lumpy style soups hot for over twentyfour hours no problem, best bit of ancillary angling kit I have and would be lost without it.

theartist

Reaction score
Dont do what I did once and forget your spoon. My homemade stew didn't taste as good as it should when I had to drink it :(

sampras43

Reaction score
You can improve a flask's performance if you insulate it. For the one I use to stew hemp and wheat I made a base and jacket out of closed cell foam that wrapped around it. Just wrapping your flask in a fleece jumper or beanie hat will result in your food keeping warm for longer. Another alternative is to use the insulated jackets that fit over wine bottles to keep the Chablis cool for your picnic.

If I'm out for the day though I use a Kelly Kettle to make a mid-day brew and heat up some food.

You can also improve it by filling with boiling water before you empty and put your hot food in. Will keep it hotter for longer.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend putting pasta rice or noodles in a flask.
It'll carry on cooking and turn to mush.