Who was the greatest angler,

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

There are obviousy many who could qualify for this accolade. But for me there is one man who stands out more than any other.

Cyril Inwood.

Cyril became famous for his catches of reservoir trout and sea trout in the 60s. But this man had the ability to catch anything in fresh or salt water, using any method you care to name. A noted member of the Northampton Specimen Group, he caught manylarge coarse fish and was also,for a period, a match angler of considerable ability.

But it was his fly fishing that really made him famous. Many was the time when old Cyril would catch his limit from waters such as Grafham and the rest of them on the water, including several luminaries at the time had blanked.

Colin Dyson, a noted angling editor at the time, once asked Cyril why he had never written a book. "No time". He said- "no time". In fact I don't think Cyril ever wrote an article in his life.

Yet his attutude to fly fishing influenced many, including the likes of Bob Church, **** Walker and Tom Ivens.

Well Cyril is my first choice, number two would be a certain lure fishing pike angler who appears on here from time to time.

But who do you think?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I seem to remember Cyril Inwood articles though whether they were 'ghosted' is another matter.

In the match world, superstar Alan Scotthorne, with the right ghost writer, could produce a definitive book on match techniques as could Steve Gardner.

Reaction score
There are so many anglers out there would should have wrote a book however there are also a number of anglers who shouldnt have bothered, Matt Hayes springs to mind.

W

Wolfman Woody

GORDON WHOPPITT!

But there is still time if Deanos can persuade him to put pen to paper.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
There are so many who could qualify, but for the purpose of discussion, here are several. John Everhard, Pete Thomas, Fred Russell, Ewan Clarkson, Reg Brotherton. All anglers of great talent and who by the way, influenced others who became household angling names, ''unsung hero's in fact.

Any book by my old mate Gord Burton, he definately owes the world a book. Not forgetting the man in the silly hat eh!! I know you've made a start you sly old bugger!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

To give him his due, Matt Hayes is a product of modern marketing. Consider the image, the way he speaks which is designed to attract chavs, even the way he dresses with those unspeakably horrid "shades" and baseball cap.

As a marketing exercise he is a success.

As an example of highly skilful angling - less so!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd love to read a book by Steve Gardner.

I've known Steve for more years than I want to remember, and fished with him too. One memorable evening in a hotel in Norway Steve, Jan Porter and Dave Vincent spent about 2 hours after dinner 'discussing' the pros and cons of flavouring maggot that had the rest of us wondering how deeply these guys think into even the most simple of tactics.

As to Matt Hayes, well for entertainment value, and how not to cast a fly line he is . . . . . . a God.

[insert U-No-Wot - - - - - > HERE!]

Reaction score
I still can get over Matt Hayes teeth, I remember one chipped or missing then all of a sudden he appeared with a Hollywood smile.

Steve Gardner's good call, a real pro

E

EC

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Stevie the 'Pisc Artist' wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Because I dont think he is that good an angler EC, just my opinion</blockquote>

I've never fished with him or watched him mate other than on the box, but he's caught some decent fish, and for the camera as well, of that there is no denial.Fishing is by and large a results business, if you catch consistentlymore or bigger fish than the majority, in my mind,you are classed as being a bit of a decent angler.

It seems to me that becausethe lad has had a bit of success and done well for himself out of angling then for some reason it becomes open season when his name is mentioned!

Anyway back to the thread, every river, stillwater, canal and beach in the country has its real experts, those who fish their particular venue almost exclusively. Any publisher who could somehow harness that knowledge wouldproduce the 'must have' bookfor every angler!

Colin Brett

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

As a marketing exercise he is a success.</blockquote>

That's all the training the "Pirelli Tyre Co" threw at him a few years back!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

It's what's called a good grounding./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Colin

Colin Brett

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Stevie the 'Pisc Artist' wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I still can't get over Matt Hayes teeth, I remember one chipped or missing then all of a sudden he appeared with a Hollywood smile.</blockquote>

Poor old Matt!

He gets criticised for not getting his *tooth* fixed and criticised when he does ??/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

You just can't please some folk! /forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Though I have never read a book by Matt, I have read some of his articles in the AT and once he stops promoting himself and plugging products, including his own brands,is he actually quite a good and entertaining writer.

Keith Arthur, whose knowledge of all things piscatorial never ceases to amaze me, is currently writing a book. I for one am certainly looking forward to its release.

Though I would never consider myself a match angler most the anglers I have admired were of that breed. Thus I would love to have read books by Benny Ashhurst (or Kevin), and Ivan Marks. Currently, I think someone should write about Alan Scotthorne and call it "Anatomy of a five times world champion."

As others have intimated, the level of preparation, attention to detail and determination towork out what is happening in front of them is just astounding- far greater than many of us mere mortals realise. As any of our Olympic champions would tell you the greater the effort the greater the chance of glory.

C

Colin North, the one and only

Well, apart from me .............................

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Stevie the 'Pisc Artist' wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>There are so many anglers out there would should have wrote a book.</blockquote>

I know another one who should be writing a book....

Cmon Mr Clay get a grip, get writing or write faster

B

Bully

Depends what you mean by "greatest" really. From memory Jack Hargreaves never wrote a book on fishing, and he was someone I could watch all the time......

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Jack Hargreaves did write a book, but I've forgotten it's name.

B

Bully

He wrote articles and annotated Venables, but I dont remember a book purely on fishing. I may be wrong, or just not found it. I'd buy it if he did........