A forgotten tip for the older angler.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was looking thought the 2014 Sensas Catalogue and came across the sponge on a string . I used to use these they are very handy get a half decent sponge put a cord though it and fix it to your chair or box. Saves all that bending down to clean your hands in the water just drop the sponge on the cord in the water and away you go you do not even have to get out of your seat.

richiekelly

Reaction score
I was looking thought the 2014 Sensas Catalogue and came across the sponge on a string . I used to use these they are very handy get a half decent sponge put a cord though it and fix it to your chair or box. Saves all that bending down to clean your hands in the water just drop the sponge on the cord in the water and away you go you do not even have to get out of your seat.

And get Leptospirosis at the same time. :eek:

flightliner

Reaction score
Its something we all could do better about really. I use a simple hand towel that sadly goes months and months between washes, its cacked in dried groundbait from summer even now, its that grubby even leptospirosis wouldnt come anywhere near it but as a safeguard I make sure of using plenty of handgel.
Must try better tho !

terry m

Reaction score
Hand towel for me also, I detest having cacked up hands.

Except when spodding mix out when I have a container of clean water next to the bait bucket to rinse off my hands and splash onto the braid.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Its something we all could do better about really. I use a simple hand towel that sadly goes months and months between washes, its cacked in dried groundbait from summer even now, its that grubby even leptospirosis wouldnt come anywhere near it but as a safeguard I make sure of using plenty of handgel.
Must try better tho !

It is very good that anglers know about Wels disease and the risks but how many know the symptoms and what to look out for and what to do if you think you have them. You have about 21 days to get it sorted before it bu**ers your system for life that if you survive it. Be aware read up on it and know the symptoms and get them checked out especially if you are into fishery management . You can carry a card that is available from the HSE leaflets are available to fishing clubs and there is plenty of information on line. As a fishery manager I was made aware of the risks many years ago and have been checked out twice but both times the result was clear.

Last edited:

sumtime

Reaction score
I've used a sponge on a piece of cord for donkey's years to wet my ground bait, it's amazing how many anglers haven't seen this. I use a wet rag kept in a plastic bag for a hand wash.

theartist

Reaction score
Being a mobile/neanderthal angler (delete as appropriate) I use my sleeves or even my waders to wipe my hands out of habit. This results in me looking more orange than the girls on the perfume counter at boots due to a mix of curry powder, turmeric and the water from whichever muddy river I'm on.

All I can say is thank heavens I don't go fishing on public transport like I used to :)

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Being a mobile/neanderthal angler (delete as appropriate) I use my sleeves or even my waders to wipe my hands out of habit. This results in me looking more orange than the girls on the perfume counter at boots due to a mix of curry powder, turmeric and the water from whichever muddy river I'm on.

All I can say is thank heavens I don't go fishing on public transport like I used to :)

I once walked in to a fish and chip shop on a Friday evening after three hours of collecting worms over the local sewage farm. The queue disappeared in seconds:eek::D

flightliner

Reaction score
My mate once did three hours worming on a private cricket club pitch and "appeared" under the searchlight of a police helicopter.

john step

Reaction score
I used to catch the 174 bus to fish the LAA sand pits at Dagenham as a kid.
This was in the days when a sand pit was just that. Bare banks and a quicksandy quagmire in the wet. This was before the days of affluence and fishing umbrellas for me. My waterproofs were a Pacamac(remember those ?)On one occasion I boarded the return bus which was full of commuting Ford office ladies. As I sat there on the window part of 2 seats with my Efgeco box across my knees and my rod propped in the corner I became aware of a gasp of disgust from the young lady who had sat on the aisle seat next to me.
Apparantly wet slimy sand doesn't dry very quickly and transfers to other peoples clothes quite effectively! I was expelled from the bus at the next stop:eek:mg:

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I always hang my fishing towel, landing net head and keep-net on the line after fishing. A few days in God's washer/drier dispels nasty smells and renders them usable again. :thumbs:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Being a clean living sort of chap and a stickler for a neat and tidy fishing bag I change my hand towels, which are primarily part of my old mum's world record quantity of washing up tea towels that have never seen the light of day, EVERY time I go out.
I take two in the bag (might only use one) and have another two in the car for situations where the umbrella/unhooking mat need a wipe down should it be raining when I return to the car. I try to keep the (soaking) wet gear going back into the car to an absolute minimum even at the cost of me suffering a slight wetting...

I try to remember to use my antiseptic hand wash, but it doesn't always happen......

Used clothes go straight into the washing machine (rinsed first if necessary!), nets are hung in the garden etc AND THEN I wash my hands/scrub nails thoroughly before leaving the utility room and going into the house. To some this may sound OTT, but my wife is, and always has been, very understanding around my fishing stuff in the house, so I feel the least I can do is to keep it clean and odour free where possible
Not only that, I like to have my gear ready to go for the next trip (I go several times a week or more) so some form of system is a necessity to make that work hence the pile of a dozen or more clean hand towels ready for the off!

Oh, I also carry plasters for emergencies, a mobile and the standard hand wash...............better to be safe than sorry I say!

I admit to being very particular around cleanliness and I make no excuses for that................

ps Gound bait stuck to my rod or fishing reels from a previous trip? I just be having with that ..Ugh!!

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used to catch the 174 bus to fish the LAA sand pits at Dagenham as a kid.
This was in the days when a sand pit was just that. Bare banks and a quicksandy quagmire in the wet. This was before the days of affluence and fishing umbrellas for me. My waterproofs were a Pacamac(remember those ?)On one occasion I boarded the return bus which was full of commuting Ford office ladies. As I sat there on the window part of 2 seats with my Efgeco box across my knees and my rod propped in the corner I became aware of a gasp of disgust from the young lady who had sat on the aisle seat next to me.
Apparantly wet slimy sand doesn't dry very quickly and transfers to other peoples clothes quite effectively! I was expelled from the bus at the next stop:eek:mg:

The 174 still goes to the Chase and to Raephals park the chase was run by the White Hart till about 8 year ago it is now run by Bardag. If you were fishing the LAA Pit which was Mardyke pit you more than likely travelled on a 103 which ran past the fishery on its way to Rainham off . You may also have used the 87 that ran along the A13 at the back side of the pit the 174 and the 87 routes connected at the princess where Fords main gate was. The 103 and the 174 routes cross each other at Oxlow Lane where Ridges fishing tackle was. The Mardyke also called Shirly pits was the only LAA water in east London/ Dagenham It was filled in about 64 and has never been built on. At this time and for the last three years it is being used to take the spoil from the Cross Rail tunnelling project. Where in Dagenham did you live I lived at Dagenham east about midway between the two fisheries about a mile from each.

---------- Post added at 01:23 ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 ----------

My mate once did three hours worming on a private cricket club pitch and "appeared" under the searchlight of a police helicopter.

I still do a bit of snitching over the park at the back of where I live. A couple of year ago I was over there about 11-30 working my way along the main fence when two coppers came up behind me and said they had, had a report of a prowler from a couple in the car park. I bet that put them off their stroke:D . One of the coppers was a angler so I did not have to do much explaining.

terry m

Reaction score

Identical thing happened to me many many years ago on South Wilts cricket pitch (but no helicopter - just plod on foot).

They left shaking their heads and muttering something about insanity.

theartist

Reaction score
Identical thing happened to me many many years ago on South Wilts cricket pitch (but no helicopter - just plod on foot).

They left shaking their heads and muttering something about insanity.

Old bill are always after you for collecting worms - they're brandling you a criminal :D

john step

Reaction score
Tinker you may be right about the 103. I lived right next to the Chase which was my playground. I used to frequent Raphaels Pk where the kids were fishing shoulder to shoulder in the summer.The sandpits were in 3 parts. 1. A lake with a bank of abandoned concrete beams 2. A strip that was canal like.3. A lake over the back stuffed with baby carp. We miscreants used to bring back buckets full on our handlebars to put in the Chase!! Raphaels Park had kids fishing shoulder to shoulder in the summer and in the 62/63 winter the ice was so thick The Council skimmed the ice with a tractor to make a rink.